Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2011, 12:32 AM   #4276
johmarq
RottenMongrelBastard

Oddometer: 140
Hi Tuffstuff,

Hang on a Minute.....

We changed the spark plug when we were out west on our trip but we pulled it off this morning and it is very black again. We changed the battery today since we killed it yesterday trying to restart it so many times and figured a new battery won't hurt anything, and the difference in power with a new battery was amazing. We rode it for about 15 min just around the yard up and down hills and just playing and it got to the point again where it is cutting off.

Have you ever measured the voltage at the battery while the bikes running? It should be about +13.25V at idle and increase as the revs build up to at least +14 -14.5 volts.

Your problem may be simply that it's not charging the battery correctly.

If the voltage is low it can cause most of the output from the bikes generator output to be sucked up by the battery and thus reduce the power available to the coil, and in turn give you a really weak spark, and eventually black /wet plug and stop running.

If it's not at these voltages you need to check/replace the Voltage regulator, generator and or Battery.

This is unlikely but possible, But I'd definitely check the charge Voltage before I replaced the Coil.

Cheers, John
Old 09-19-2011, 03:33 PM   #4277
DEAVER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
how do u tighten the chain on these bikes. got a be simple.
DEAVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:47 PM   #4278
tbolt
Bypass? What bypass?

Oddometer: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEAVER View Post
how do u tighten the chain on these bikes. got a be simple.
It is. Loosen the axle bolt and click the clamshell adjusters until you reach the desired tension. Make sure the settings match on both sides.

The ADV Ride Report De-crufter -- [Firefox] [IE]
The ADV Picture Once-inator -- [Firefox]
tbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:37 AM   #4279
lobsta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
s cargo

snail adjuster
lobsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:55 AM   #4280
motocikl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Success with the evap system removal this weekend!
I think it gives the bike a cleaner look. In case anyone in the future is wondering, find my posts a few pages back. That's all I did except I didn't bother about the coupler. I just let the fuel vapor hose become the new purge air hose. Right now, it's just hanging over the engine but I may have to relocate it later since (if my understanding is correct) fuel may potentially come out of this hose if the tank is overfilled. The only real difficulty in the whole procedure was disconnecting the purge hose from the carb. I had to cut it off with a scalpel since I think it was glued on.

While I was already doing all that work, I decided to clean the air filter as well. I have two questions here.

What kind of oil do you guys use for the air filter? I just went to the local auto-parts store and bought the only one they had, which was an (expensive) K&N spray can. The actual spray is red. Any cheaper and better options?

After removing the evap system and cleaning the airbox, the bike was difficult to start the first two times. After that, it's back to normal. Any ideas why this would happen?

Also, a bit unrelated: this bike has the Kientech mod. The airbox lid was removed. Last week, prior to the cleaning, I removed the seat and noticed that there was some liquid pooled in the box. I soaked this up with a paper towel. Has anyone else noticed this? I decided to put my airbox lid back on. To my surprise, there was no noticeable difference in performance. Will there be any negative side-effects of leaving the airbox lid on with the Kientech mod? If so, does anyone know of a "mesh" or other material that will keep water out but let air into the box?

Thanks.
motocikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:54 PM   #4281
johmarq
RottenMongrelBastard

G'Day from Down Under

Hi all,

I've been lurking around this forum for a while as I've been building my Dr200SE
I thought it was time to introduce myself and say hello.

My names John and I live in South eastern Australia, I've been riding for more years than I care to count
I recently came off my BMW F650 while riding in the outback deserts, Busted myself up pretty good!
So after months of recovery I made the decision that if I still wanted to ride in remote places I needed a smaller/lighter bike that was easier to handle, hence the DR200.

She's an old girl (1998), in her previous life she was a learner riding school bike and has been well looked after.
I would have preferred a newer bike but here in Australia they stopped selling road legal Dr200's years ago.
You can buy a new DR200SE "Trojan" but it is a farm bike only and you can't ride them on the road.

I've added the front and rear racks off an old Kawasaki AGi185 farm bike that I've owned for years and a bash plate off a Honda XR250 thats been hanging in the shed for years as well.
I had the seat updated to a more touring type seat.... wider to better fit my wide arse!
a better set of bars, a GPS because I'll always lost and finally a set of saddle bags.

My family have named her "WANDA" after a character in one of the episodes of the TV show Corner Gas where they ride a tiny scooter.
They laugh at me on this tiny bike... I must admit it's a change from my Harley Roadking
I guess I might look a little funny... I'm not a small guy(230lb on a good day)

But I've racked up over 1000 miles in the last few weeks and I'm loving it, HUGE SMILES!!!
It's just so easy and it takes me back to my first bikes back in the 60's

All I can say is people that scoff and crack jokes about my little DR are the ones missing out......

I thought I'd add a few pictures cause I know you all luv em!

Anyway that's me and my little DR called Wanda.

I guess now I'll have to post a few ride reports of her wanders.

Cheers from Down Under...John

johmarq screwed with this post 09-21-2011 at 12:08 AM
johmarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:00 AM   #4282
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,000
Very nice set-up, and the right attitude to boot!
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:25 AM   #4283
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,365
John, it looks like you have some fun ahead of you. I know I sure enjoy my DR200. You're might be older but it sure does look new and you have it set up nicely.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:26 AM   #4284
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,317
I usually only say this to the ladies, but that is a nice rack, both front and back!!!

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:11 PM   #4285
suecanada
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Soft Bag protector

Johmarq, thank you for your post. What did you do to make sure those soft bags cleared the hot exhaust on the right side? I too have just gotten a DR200SE '04 with 1800 miles on it. Imported it from New Hampshire, USA. Had a carb challenge as it would not run without full choke and would take no throttle increase at all. This last weekend I actually fixed it myself. First time ever taking off a carb. Turned out to be a dirty pilot jet but I could not see the dirt until I used a 10X magnifying glass! Just used a nylon brush bristle, carb cleaner and patience. She runs well now. Just ordered a Keintech kit and will get it when Jesse returns at the end of this month.
I can't believe the confidence I have now on gravel. Had an accident on an F650GS twin in '08 which burnt up the bike completely. Been anxious ever since on my '83 BMW R65LS and the '09 Triumph Bonneville SE. Now I can push that wee bike anywhere I want with no sweating palms! I weigh 125lbs. so she runs fine at 55 mph but having more fun going slower on all the new-to-me dirt roads around here that I was too scared to ride before.

Have fun!!
Sue
suecanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:29 PM   #4286
godwinmt
They call me Crash

Oddometer: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by suecanada View Post
Johmarq, thank you for your post. What did you do to make sure those soft bags cleared the hot exhaust on the right side?
Sue
Atleast on my DR200 with teh soft bags, the exhaust has the little bolt on heat shield which spaces it out enough so that the part of the muffler that is in contact with the bag doesn't get hot enough to mess with the cordura.
godwinmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:39 PM   #4287
thesurvivalist
Backcountry Rider

Oddometer: 526
Where can I get one of those headlight racks?
thesurvivalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:26 PM   #4288
johmarq
RottenMongrelBastard

Thanks all for you kind replies.

Rasthomes I hope you don't say nice back rack to the ladies!!!!

Thesurvivalist, I'd check out some motorcycle wreckers, especially out in the rural areas, most agricultural bikes have these racks standard, mine came off a 1983 Kawasaki AGi185, but I would guess a Honda, or Yamaha one would fit with a few small mods.

Suecanada I just bolted some 2" angle alloy to the rack to space it out a little. and I also made little exhaust diverter out of a piece pipe i took some photos for you.

Cheers, John

Old 09-21-2011, 07:01 PM   #4289
KF7GTH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152

Delivery on the front porch yesterday from Peter at screensforbikes in Australia. Looks good, now we'll see how it does on a ride.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:17 AM   #4290
FlownOver
Old and slow man

Oddometer: 5
New owner

Finally got a dial indicator attached to the front fork in a way that gave repeatable readings on both the inside and outside surface. The disk is remarkably flat, maximum runout is plus and minus 0.00125 inches, based on 5 trials (measurements taken at marked octants) each with the bike tilted to the right, left, vertical and with the wheel off of the ground. Interestingly, if you press on the end of the front fender, the fork to disk distance will change about 0.0002 inches.
On the silicone grease information front, I have been blown off by the Dow Corning technical service folks. I'll see what I can find by working my way through the Mil-Specs for silicone grease. Strange that a company will not tell its customers what outside performance standards their products have met. Well, in a free market you get to vote with your feet and your wallet.

Hi all,

I recently acquired a 2006 DR200se with about 1400 miles on it. So far almost everything seems to be in perfect working order. The one problem I have is the front disk squeaks at low speed. In fact it will make noise when the bike is pushed without being started. I suspect either the disk has a bit too much run out or the caliper pins are not well lubed. I'm going to strap a dial indicator to the front fork to measure runout. However, I do have a question. What is Suzuki Silicone grease, part number 99000-25100? (Remember, anecdote is not the singular of data) I've looked on the Suzuki web site to find information and come up dry. I've asked for the MSDS in hopes that there may be an ASTM reference but haven't gotten a response. Does anyone know what this stuff is? Given the number applications mentioned in various service manuals, I find it hard to believe it is anything specifically formulated for Suzuki. Part of my reason for asking is the nearest dealership is 90 miles away.

Thanks for any information.

FlownOver screwed with this post 10-05-2011 at 10:00 AM Reason: New Information
FlownOver is offline   Reply With Quote