Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2013, 05:14 AM   #6616
cidd
doppler shift

Oddometer: 40
The whole is not thrue the cylinder wall or you would be haveing more problems than just leaking oil. I think it is going into the area for the push rods that operate the valves this would be an area for oil to drain back down to the crank case after lubricating the valve lifters. I would think in order to seal this the area would need cleaned and then maybee you could use PC7 epoxi or have it aluminum welded ? that I would leav up the mechanic or try and find a used cylinder .
cidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:42 AM   #6617
85suzuki
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by northsouth15 View Post
well, I checked the front of my '99 200se and I have the hole too...but it doesn't leak

I would honestly be more curious about why it's leaking; that would better answer if it's okay to plug

if that's leaking internally - how is oil getting there? when the engine was rebuilt, was it bored out? was there supposed to be a metal wall backing to it that is now removed?

if so, then plugging it is not the answer; you might need to re-sleeve it...

but who knows - better to figure out why it's leaking first

Good to know that I'm not the only one with the hole in the cylinder. The cylinder was bored out and a new piston and rings were installed. I agree I would love to know why it is leaking instead of plugging it. Thanks for your reply.
85suzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:47 AM   #6618
85suzuki
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cidd View Post
The whole is not thrue the cylinder wall or you would be haveing more problems than just leaking oil. I think it is going into the area for the push rods that operate the valves this would be an area for oil to drain back down to the crank case after lubricating the valve lifters. I would think in order to seal this the area would need cleaned and then maybee you could use PC7 epoxi or have it aluminum welded ? that I would leav up the mechanic or try and find a used cylinder .
Thanks for your reply. I agree there would be bigger issues if it was through the cylinder wall. Not sure I want to plug this hole just yet. I would like to know what the cause is first
Old 05-02-2013, 10:34 AM   #6619
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
I've never been inside a DR200...but here's a pic from ebay:

looking at that - I'd agree, it doesn't look like it went through the cylinder

but there's a space next to the cylinder for (what I'm guessing) is the cam chain

somewhere in that space is where I'd guess the leak is coming from....and as cidd suggested, it could be from where the cylinder head where the valves are lubricated

however - without pulling that cylinder off, I have no idea what's causing it to leak

but if it's not pressurized - what's the harm in plugging the hole?

northsouth15 screwed with this post 05-02-2013 at 10:41 AM
northsouth15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:55 AM   #6620
85suzuki
Adventurer

Question

"NORTHSOUTH15"
Thank you for that post. Still not sure what that hole is for or what will happen if I plug it? Will the oil back up somewhere that I don't want it to? Or will it go back down to the crankcase?
Old 05-02-2013, 12:49 PM   #6621
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer

not sure...I'd need to see inside

anyone got a spare cylinder they can take pictures of the inside of it for us?

and more updates: this is def. not a bike I could ever drag knee on...I went out to a rotary today to see how far I could lean it...and it wasn't far before I felt pretty uncomfortable...then when I checked my tires afterwards I only had about 1/8" of rubber left over!

I'm going to keep it relatively upright!

I also tried popping my first clutched wheelie today - she came up quick! I gotta be careful...
Old 05-02-2013, 01:03 PM   #6622
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,499
the DR200 thread

A hole like that is usually a "tell tale", it's put there so you know the seal or gasket behind the hole is leaking.

Not sure on the DR200, but a friends V-Strom had a similar hole that started leaking coolant, it was his water pump seal.

At work but I can look at my service manual tonight to see if they mention it.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:11 PM   #6623
cidd
doppler shift

Oddometer: 40
Id be willing to bet its just an accessory hole maybe to bolt the oil cooler on for the Aussie bikes. there is probably a thin piece a metal there and it has just gotten a small hole thru it maybe a slag hole from the casting process that has just started to weep . Iv seen this type of thing on many a car motor and all we have ever done is drill it tap it and put a bolt in it with some pipe dope on it ...... leak fixed.
cidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:17 PM   #6624
85suzuki
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cidd View Post
Id be willing to bet its just an accessory hole maybe to bolt the oil cooler on for the Aussie bikes. there is probably a thin piece a metal there and it has just gotten a small hole thru it maybe a slag hole from the casting process that has just started to weep . Iv seen this type of thing on many a car motor and all we have ever done is drill it tap it and put a bolt in it with some pipe dope on it ...... leak fixed.
I agree with you. I will drill, tap, and screw it in the next day or two. Thanks for all the replys. Will keep you guys posted as to what the outcome is.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:35 PM   #6625
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer

anyone know if it's easy to pull of the rear electronics when going off road?

the way the turn signals and tail light stick out, I'm afraid I'll trash all of it if I tip the bike over in single track

the rear turn signals are also bolted to the rear rack...seems like a bit of work to unhook everything, no?
Old 05-03-2013, 07:18 AM   #6626
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by northsouth15 View Post
anyone know if it's easy to pull of the rear electronics when going off road?

the way the turn signals and tail light stick out, I'm afraid I'll trash all of it if I tip the bike over in single track

the rear turn signals are also bolted to the rear rack...seems like a bit of work to unhook everything, no?
My wife's DR200 has been dropped many times by kids, new riders trying it out and crashed several times and nothing has broken off. Just ride it.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:56 AM   #6627
Wallrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85suzuki View Post
I agree with you. I will drill, tap, and screw it in the next day or two. Thanks for all the replys. Will keep you guys posted as to what the outcome is.

Your mechanic either munched the gasket or forgot to replace one of the oil guides on the cylinder head bolts. Plug that hole and you'll just start leaking around the mating surface. Do it right, take it apart and fix the shoddy repair job. I wouldn't take it to him either, I'm 99% sure he knows exactly what the problem is and just didn't want to admit to screwing up.
12 Kuberg Start
13 Kuberg Cross
Wallrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:35 AM   #6628
85suzuki
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallrat View Post
Your mechanic either munched the gasket or forgot to replace one of the oil guides on the cylinder head bolts. Plug that hole and you'll just start leaking around the mating surface. Do it right, take it apart and fix the shoddy repair job. I wouldn't take it to him either, I'm 99% sure he knows exactly what the problem is and just didn't want to admit to screwing up.
Thanks for your response. Do you think there is any harm in driving it as is?
Old 05-03-2013, 03:09 PM   #6629
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer

Nobody knows for sure...take it apart first!
Old 05-03-2013, 06:28 PM   #6630
JayGoldstein
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
How will larger front tire affect speedo?

I'm mathematically impaired, so I'm turning to the forum for help in anticipating how a larger front tire will affect the accuracy of the DR's speedo. If I replace the OE 70/100-21 with a 90/90-21 tire, based on the calculation in Gearing Commander (www.gearingcommander.com), there is a 3.3% increase in tire circumference (i.e, from 2116 mm to 2185 mm).

With the OE tire the speedo is about 5-6% optimistic (compared to my GPS). Will increasing the front tire's circumference increase or decrease the accuracy the speedometer?

JayGoldstein is offline   Reply With Quote