Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2013, 05:32 PM   #6631
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGoldstein View Post
I'm mathematically impaired, so I'm turning to the forum for help in anticipating how a larger front tire will affect the accuracy of the DR's speedo. If I replace the OE 70/100-21 with a 90/90-21 tire, based on the calculation in Gearing Commander (www.gearingcommander.com), there is a 3.3% increase in tire circumference (i.e, from 2116 mm to 2185 mm).

With the OE tire the speedo is about 5-6% optimistic (compared to my GPS). Will increasing the front tire's circumference increase or decrease the accuracy the speedometer?
It'll increase accuracy. The wheel will turn more slowly for a given real speed, so some of the over-optimism in the speedometer will be remedied. A bigger front wheel made my speedometer much more in line with real speed.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:28 PM   #6632
PRZDLRD
n00b

Oddometer: 4
The 90/90-21 front tire made the speedometer on my 2009 Dr200 very accurate, GPS and radar speedboard checked to within 1/2 mph.

I fit a set of micheline T63's on, 90/90-21 and 130/80-18. The larger rear worked the same as putting on a 43T sprocket.
PRZDLRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:40 PM   #6633
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
+1 on increase the accuracy...

you did the math yourself - 5-6% minus 3.3% is your answer

more riding updates - finally hit the 150 mile mark...got mad at someone who merged into my lane (while I was still in it), so I layed down some WOT during the break-in...another 350 miles to go!

I've just been taking it on 5 mile jaunts, whch will take me forever to finish break-in. I'm going to try a 75 mile work commute tomorrow...not too sure how it'll like the highway for 45 mins, but I'm going to ride 60mph in the slow lane and give myself more time to get there
northsouth15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:49 AM   #6634
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by northsouth15 View Post
+1 on increase the accuracy...

you did the math yourself - 5-6% minus 3.3% is your answer

more riding updates - finally hit the 150 mile mark...got mad at someone who merged into my lane (while I was still in it), so I layed down some WOT during the break-in...another 350 miles to go!

I've just been taking it on 5 mile jaunts, whch will take me forever to finish break-in. I'm going to try a 75 mile work commute tomorrow...not too sure how it'll like the highway for 45 mins, but I'm going to ride 60mph in the slow lane and give myself more time to get there
Just make sure you vary the rpm, even while droning on the highway. Worst thing to do to a new engine is to lug it, or keep at one steady rpm for long stretches. You can either slow down, then roll on the throttle again if it's safe to do so, check your mirror your mirrors! Or just drop a gear for a mile or so then shift back up. Easier on a larger bike for sure where you could be in any of 3 gears at highway speed but doable on the DR200.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:03 PM   #6635
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Just make sure you vary the rpm, even while droning on the highway. Worst thing to do to a new engine is to lug it, or keep at one steady rpm for long stretches. You can either slow down, then roll on the throttle again if it's safe to do so, check your mirror your mirrors! Or just drop a gear for a mile or so then shift back up. Easier on a larger bike for sure where you could be in any of 3 gears at highway speed but doable on the DR200.
dually noted!

I usually do anyways to accelerate/decelerate to keep me safe on the crazy southern CA freeways

bike ended up being a fail in the end anyways...at steady throttle at 60mph the bike was hesitating and "missing", causing the bike to hesitate like it was going to stall...I'm not sure what it is, so I'll check the plug first (oem plug was dead when I got the bike, so I'm going to see if it's black this time around), then start going into the carbs (which I already know has a clogged pilot jet)

drove the truck in today...I'll try again tomorrow!
Old 05-04-2013, 01:04 PM   #6636
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Just cleaning that carb thoroughly, several times, might do the trick.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:11 PM   #6637
Al Tuna
PUI... Deal with it

Oddometer: 11,896
My DR has pine pollen all over it. After MMM I parked it outside this spring and now it is covered in yellow pine pollen. What is the best way to remove this nuisance?

Under construction
Al Tuna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:05 PM   #6638
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Tuna View Post
My DR has pine pollen all over it. After MMM I parked it outside this spring and now it is covered in yellow pine pollen. What is the best way to remove this nuisance?

really???

I also have some dried food built on my dinner plate from last night. I left it in my sink for 1 week and now it's even more dry. What's the best way to remove it?

j/k

try this:

fastest: who cares? ride it
fast: hose
faster (minus drive time): power wash station
longer: hose + sponge & soap to get the nicks and corners
longest: take off each part and wash by hand with soap and water, rinse thoroughly, allow to dry, re-assemble, wax, polish

use a cover next year!! they're like $20 at cyclegear

clay: mine does need a thorough carb cleaning...but unfortunately the service manual I ordered from amazon still hasn't arrived...not sure how to take the carbs off just yet...

northsouth15 screwed with this post 05-04-2013 at 06:18 PM
Old 05-04-2013, 06:21 PM   #6639
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by northsouth15 View Post
clay: mine does need a thorough carb cleaning...but unfortunately the service manual I ordered from amazon still hasn't arrived...not sure how to take the carbs off just yet...

The manual will probably just say "remove the carb." I'd take the sidecovers, seat and tank off to get plenty of room. Then take the throttle cables off the carb. Then loosen the clamps that hold the boots to the carb and twist the carb out. It's that easy.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:05 PM   #6640
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer

that's it?? I might have to try this before work tomorrow...and also swap the petcock

I also have the CA model with the extra emissions thing attached to the carb - can those just be unhooked?

another update: recommended tire pressure ~20psi front/25psi rear

tire pressure for bike sitting 14 years: ~1psi front/3psi rear

pumping it up to recommended pressures certainly made the bike more stable, and smoother on the road...although; I'm still not too sure about these deathwings...the rear started to kick out under throttle alone coming out of a turn
Old 05-04-2013, 10:11 PM   #6641
Klay
dreaming adventurer

I don't have the California model...that may complicate things a little. 20 and 25 are okay, but for street use, I run a little higher, like 28 in front and 30 rear.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:20 PM   #6642
cidd
doppler shift

Oddometer: 40
Just curiouse how many of you have a bigger bike and what is it ??
cidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:49 PM   #6643
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cidd View Post
Just curiouse how many of you have a bigger bike and what is it ??

I have a DR650 set up as a highway bike and a DR350 for trail riding. I'm on the 200 for every-day use, though.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:03 PM   #6644
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer

1995 Yamaha FZR600 - commutes to work > 5-10 miles, canyon riding, track days

does anyone know if the 80's DR200 rear fenders bolt right on the newer DR200se models?

I really don't want to take the OEM tail trail riding...I will be knocking out bulbs, and will shred apart the factory tail light and turn signals if she tumbles down a hill

I'd rather just take it off, and bolt on another fender

northsouth15 screwed with this post 05-05-2013 at 09:32 PM
Old 05-06-2013, 03:54 AM   #6645
cidd
doppler shift

Oddometer: 40
I'm debating getting either a dr650 or a klr 650 for highway use going to go look at some next weekend .
cidd is offline   Reply With Quote