Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 12:20 AM   #6661
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
good to know! the fuel line is a bit kinked, but I should have that replaced by tomorrow morning before work

when you say soak - do you mean immersing the whole carb in water?

or just the jets (ie. in a bag filled with carb cleaner)?

I also replaced the OEM air filter - it was going on 14 years!

the plug came out black a couple times; I'm curious if it was running rich from the carb issues I'm having, and also this junk filter. Maybe it was so clogged, that it decreased the air/fuel ratio?

northsouth15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:24 AM   #6662
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by northsouth15 View Post
good to know! the fuel line is a bit kinked, but I should have that replaced by tomorrow morning before work

when you say soak - do you mean immersing the whole carb in water?

or just the jets (ie. in a bag filled with carb cleaner)?
Just the jets should be adequate. Not just water, some kind of carb cleaner. I've had good luck recently with a 50/50 mix of Pine Sol and water overnight.

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:45 AM   #6663
cidd
doppler shift

Oddometer: 40
when you change out the petcock you did plug the vacum line right ??
cidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:30 AM   #6664
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer

yes, the vacuum line is plugged

I got up early, did a bunch of little things, and Klay you were right - now the bike starts and runs great! she starts easy without a handful of throttle, engine speed doesn't hang when I decelerate, and when I pull in the clutch at stops, the idle purrs like a kitten

the only problem is, I did so many different things, that I don't know what fixed it...I broke the "only change 1 thing at a time" rule...

1.) I forgot to tighten the clamp on the intake boot (on the engine side). I'm guessing that if there was air leaking into the engine around the carb, it would explain the lack if idle, and backfiring.

2.) I took out the aftermarket fuel line with filter and just re-used the OEM one. The aftermarket line (1/4" ID) was somehow too big...and it was also kinking, and possibly obstructing gas flow.

3.) I cleaned the plug - it came out black again, but it was dry. This indicates that the burn is still rich, but not oil fouled. I'm on my 3rd plug in under 200 miles...something is certainly fishy there.

4.) last night I took out the old OEM filter and swapped in a new one. Maybe it was restricting a lot of air, considering how broken/dirty it was, but I figure I'd have more problems if that was the case...

so now it starts, runs, idles, and the petcock doesn't leak. I didn't tighten the float bowl screw enough, so it drips really slowly, but once I can move the carb enough, I should be able to fix that

I can't wait to get out of work and go home so I can ride it again!!!!

as for the rich burn - is there an air/fuel screw I can adjust?

northsouth15 screwed with this post 05-09-2013 at 10:41 AM
Old 05-09-2013, 04:52 PM   #6665
cidd
doppler shift

can someone stear me in the right direction I want to modify my exhaust myself and am looking for some info on how to. I have been trying to do the search but cant find squat.????? help
Old 05-09-2013, 04:58 PM   #6666
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer

First post, click on the kientech mods link
Old 05-09-2013, 04:58 PM   #6667
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by northsouth15 View Post

as for the rich burn - is there an air/fuel screw I can adjust?

Just for the idle circuit. (the idle screw) For changing the mixture at higher rpms, you can change the jets and/or raise or lower the needle by repositioning the clip on the needle.

I would just throw the Kientech jets in it so you don't have to fuss with sorting it out.

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:19 PM   #6668
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer

will do!

and I'll also check the current jetting - maybe my clogged pilot jet(s?) was affecting the burn...I cleaned the spark plug, so it should tell the story when I pull it out

Funny thing - if I turn the bars to the left, the bike accelerates, hahaha

Going to loosen the throttle cable...I'm hoping to ride southern california's hungry valley Saturday, so I gotta be ready!

But cleaning the carbs helped a whole lot...bike just runs a lot smoother with the pilot circuit operational

northsouth15 screwed with this post 05-09-2013 at 10:43 PM
Old 05-10-2013, 01:37 AM   #6669
inuvik
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Tuturo Chain Oiler Installed

Recently installed the Tuturo Chain Oiler last week and here are a couple of pictures to show the finished product.

Works great and I'm still fine tuning the oiling rate.
2005 DR200SE: Ricochet skidplate, Spitfire S-06 Windshield, Suzuki Handguards, Tusk handlebar risers, Cycleracks rear rack, Chase-Harper B-Alaska Bag, DG Performance Exhaust, Tutoro Chain Oiler, Garmin Etrek GPS.
inuvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:56 AM   #6670
cidd
doppler shift

sorry that just tells you where to buy it . I want to do it myself as in take the muffler apart and rebuild it myself anyone can go buy it . I have all the equipment I need to do it and the capability just kind of looking for basics on doing it . Like how much to open it up / what to remove and not remove that type of info ?
Old 05-10-2013, 08:26 AM   #6671
Wallrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 601
Quote:
Recently installed the Tuturo Chain Oiler last week and here are a couple of pictures to show the finished product.

What controls the oiler so that it only oils when the chain has been properly warmed up? I think I'd rather just spend 2 minutes every 2 weeks to oil my chain, but to each their own.
12 Kuberg Start
13 Kuberg Cross
Wallrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:14 PM   #6672
inuvik
Adventurer

Tuturo Chain Oiler Operation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallrat View Post
What controls the oiler so that it only oils when the chain has been properly warmed up? I think I'd rather just spend 2 minutes every 2 weeks to oil my chain, but to each their own.
It's kinda ingenious that's why I chose it over all of the other types. It uses a weight inside the little oil reservoir that when the bike is moving the weight moves which opens a valve. The small knob at the bottom controls the flow rate when the valve opens. It is completely mechanical and when then bike is sitting still it doesn't drip. It took a little tinkering to find the appropriate setting but you can set it to drip more if you're in wet or dusty conditions and so forth. A lot of oilers are either completely manual (turn the valve on and it drips until you turn it off) or automatic (some kind of micro electrical pump). I like it because I don't ever have to worry about oiling the chain and it doesn't require any electrical power and you don't have to remember to turn it on or off.
2005 DR200SE: Ricochet skidplate, Spitfire S-06 Windshield, Suzuki Handguards, Tusk handlebar risers, Cycleracks rear rack, Chase-Harper B-Alaska Bag, DG Performance Exhaust, Tutoro Chain Oiler, Garmin Etrek GPS.
inuvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:55 PM   #6673
Wallrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 601
That's pretty clever actually. Not something I'd bother with myself since keeping the chain lubed has never felt like a hassle. I just give mine a quick dusting of chain lube every 2-3 weeks and after I wash it.
12 Kuberg Start
13 Kuberg Cross
Wallrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:26 AM   #6674
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer

I want it for my streetbike!

I end up lubing that thing every 2-3 days when I'm commuting 80-100 miles/day...
Old 05-11-2013, 12:39 PM   #6675
LumberingJack
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cidd View Post
sorry that just tells you where to buy it . I want to do it myself as in take the muffler apart and rebuild it myself anyone can go buy it . I have all the equipment I need to do it and the capability just kind of looking for basics on doing it . Like how much to open it up / what to remove and not remove that type of info ?
I think I saw it on another forum, but pretty much you take a holesaw to the tail end of it, a little bigger than the outlet and then that piece and few inches of baffle should pull out. The part you pull out is a smaller bore than the rest of it and then you just slot the correct size tube in and run a bead of weld round the end.

Probably not quite that simple but that's how I read it. I've yet to do it to mine,so don't know for sure what's inside, though am quite liking how quiet it is at the mo (plus as I've just bought an old 250 KTM 2 stroke too I'm less fussed the little DR's a bit steady!)
LumberingJack is offline   Reply With Quote