Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2013, 08:54 PM   #6706
Wallrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
The DR200SE is not any heavier than anything else in the same class.
These are all dry weights except for the DR-Z400S:

DR200SE: 249lbs

TW200: 260lbs

XT225: 238lbs

KLR250: 258lbs

WR250X: 280lbs

DR-Z400S: 317lbs (wet)

You are right it is no powerhouse but there are some performance improvements available. I agree that it is extremely reliable and fuel efficient and a lot of fun to ride. I smile everytime I ride!

Sorry my statement was misinterpreted. What I mean is, the DR weighs more than many 4 strokes that have 3x the engine. The DR has 15 HP at 250 lbs. For comparison, my KTM 450 has 48 HP at 254 lbs. A CR250R 2 stroke from the same year as my KTM is 44 HP at 220lbs. Its not really a fair representation when making the age-old 2 stroke vs. 4 stroke decision - unless you're comparing it to an old, air cooled 1977 YZ80.
12 Kuberg Start
13 Kuberg Cross

Wallrat screwed with this post 05-19-2013 at 09:09 PM
Wallrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:51 AM   #6707
cidd
doppler shift

Oddometer: 40
OK decided to do the carb mods that really help the top end I can now do 50 mph in 4th gear no problem 5th gear is just kind of a crusing gear now . I dont take this thing over 50 mph much around town The DG exhaust really made a diference and the carb mod helped richen it up as it was defenatly burning lean . These two mods are a must !! in my book .
cidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:40 AM   #6708
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,849
Took the MSF class with my wife this weekend. The bikes that were in the class were Tu250s, GZ250s, Tw200s, a cb125, and a lone DR200. It was funny to hear people saying, "Man, that yellow one (DR200) is tall!"

For Sale: 2004 Husqvarna TE510 (Michigan)
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:50 AM   #6709
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by cidd View Post
OK decided to do the carb mods that really help the top end I can now do 50 mph in 4th gear no problem 5th gear is just kind of a crusing gear now . I dont take this thing over 50 mph much around town The DG exhaust really made a diference and the carb mod helped richen it up as it was defenatly burning lean . These two mods are a must !! in my book .
this is VERY tempting...this big really is a lugger...no power anywhere!

I wish you were closer so I could see how this power increase feels like

anyone in socal have the exhaust/jetting mods and can show this to me??

and has anyone taken this bike to the desert? I want to check out ocotillo wells, and want to make sure the bike will make it
northsouth15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:25 PM   #6710
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallrat View Post
I think most aftermarket bars come with measurement lines to cut the bars several inches narrower. Just need a sawsall or at worst, a hacksaw.
Pipe cutter does a nice job.

bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:46 PM   #6711
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by northsouth15 View Post

and has anyone taken this bike to the desert? I want to check out ocotillo wells, and want to make sure the bike will make it
Why wouldn't the bike make it? My wife rode her DR200 over a 1000kms to the coast and back through the mountains. Sure she was a little slow climbing a few of the steeper passes but she still managed to pass a couple harley's who were holding her up.

bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #6712
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,830
That's funny, bross. I remember when my wife and I had our 200s in Colorado and we had trouble with slow-moving Harleys that we had to pass.

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:02 PM   #6713
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer

awesome!

I just figured the desert has a sandpaper-like environment...wouldn't want to put the bike beyond what it's capable of and do a lot of damage

has anyone tried the MX track?

I have an extra set of wheels...going to put some dirt-only tires on there with the largest rear sprocket I can fit with the stock chain
Old 05-20-2013, 02:15 PM   #6714
cidd
doppler shift

Quote:

Trust me the exhaust mode is like night and day cost me 160.00 took 10 min to install. The carb mode was like 40.00 and took a couple of hrs only because the screws for the carb body were so tight I had a heck of time getting them loose I replaced them with 4mm cap screws from my local hardware store. It made the bike a real keeper you will notice the difference it every gear and smile the whole way thrue them !!
Old 05-20-2013, 04:06 PM   #6715
Wallrat
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Why wouldn't the bike make it?

Because that's the trails you rode, and this is a trail in Ocotillo:

It'll make it on the tame stuff no problem, but you'll have some trouble in deep sand, big rocks, and especially a combination of both. Expect to use 1st gear on just about any of the steepish hills.
12 Kuberg Start
13 Kuberg Cross
Old 05-20-2013, 11:26 PM   #6716
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer

this is what I was thinking - I've been on some harsh, rocky single track back in MA, and even my mighty 144 stroker was WOT with the clutch slipping to get through nasty sections (which you have to approach with speed), and not to mention the necessity for a full travel suspension

and the first gear comment - this is also why I was considering to get a bigger sprocket for the trails..if I can use all the gears, it will really allow me put the power down

cidd - got any video? I can almost feel where the bike is choked up - mostly top end
Old 05-21-2013, 05:07 AM   #6717
cidd
doppler shift

Get an after market exhaust and open the air screw until it quits backfiring ... yep opening the air screw a coupel of turns stops the backfiring you'll be amazed !!. The carb upgrade can wait if you like but for the money doing both is really no big deal considering the amount of power boost you'll get out of it .
Old 05-21-2013, 07:24 AM   #6718
Wallrat
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cidd View Post
Get an after market exhaust and open the air screw until it quits backfiring ... yep opening the air screw a coupel of turns stops the backfiring you'll be amazed !!. The carb upgrade can wait if you like but for the money doing both is really no big deal considering the amount of power boost you'll get out of it .

Just tweaking the fuel screw after adding a new exhaust is an extremely bad idea. These bikes come from the factory on the ragged edge of being too lean. If you increase the air flow through the engine with a new exhaust and don't compensate with increased fuel flow, you're going to be very lean and doing some bad bad things to your engine. The fuel screw is probably not enough for even the bottom end, and you'll need to change the main jet so that you don't run lean 1/4 throttle and above. I'd just run the Kientech jet kit since it comes with everything you need and directions.

That said, it's still not going to do more for you at Ocotillo than make a few hills more doable. An exhaust is only going to get you maybe 20% more power - and that's in the best possible scenario. It's only a 15 HP bike, so you're looking at 3 HP. Would it be noticeably more powerful? Of course, 20% is pretty significant via seat-of-the-pants. But at the end of the day you still only have an 18HP bike that weighs 250lbs. The DR is great for our fire/utility roads in SoCal, but anything beyond that is out of the bike's comfort zone.
12 Kuberg Start
13 Kuberg Cross

Wallrat screwed with this post 05-21-2013 at 08:00 AM
Old 05-21-2013, 07:56 AM   #6719
Wallrat
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
this is what I was thinking - I've been on some harsh, rocky single track back in MA, and even my mighty 144 stroker was WOT with the clutch slipping to get through nasty sections (which you have to approach with speed), and not to mention the necessity for a full travel suspension

and the first gear comment - this is also why I was considering to get a bigger sprocket for the trails..if I can use all the gears, it will really allow me put the power down

cidd - got any video? I can almost feel where the bike is choked up - mostly top end

1 tooth smaller on the front sprocket is about the same as 3 teeth larger on the rear - and about $20 vs. $60.
12 Kuberg Start
13 Kuberg Cross
Old 05-21-2013, 08:57 AM   #6720
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer

yeah, that's what I thought - it's still a far cry from real power for the weight it makes

I was thinking about the front sprocket change, but I also have an extra set of wheels - changing the front sprocket would take more time, right?

I haven't looked yet...if it's just dropping the cover, and loosening a bolt without a impact driver, it might be easy enough