Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2013, 02:59 PM   #6751
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
call me crazy - but why not just run Suzuki oil?

I just picked some up at the dealership...rather run what they recommend

@ T680 - your post made me

so you rode without a drain plug, let the bike run bone dry, locked up the engine, broke it free, and want to know if there's a "magical oil" that will lube it up enough to run right again?
northsouth15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:16 PM   #6752
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by northsouth15 View Post
call me crazy - but why not just run Suzuki oil?

I just picked some up at the dealership...rather run what they recommend

@ T680 - your post made me

so you rode without a drain plug, let the bike run bone dry, locked up the engine, broke it free, and want to know if there's a "magical oil" that will lube it up enough to run right again?
Mainly because the manufacturers simply outsource their oil to whoever wins the bid. Nothing wrong with that but it probably isn't the best oil you can buy, nor the most inexpensive, best value, whatever. It's fine to do that but my closest dealer is an hour and a half away, easier to order Amsoil and have it shipped to my door, plus I believe it provides the best lubrication so I'm happy to use it in our bikes.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:19 PM   #6753
bross
Where we riding to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBumBrian View Post
Just wasting your money pumping expensive synthetics in your bike. The high shear factors on bikes use up a synthetic as fast as any other oil. I have used them and have actually noticed they break down FASTER than Rotella. Save some money and run Rotella T, just change your oil more often. I rarely go 1K miles between changes on my dual sports.
That's a load of misinformation. It's been proven in test after test that synthetics stand up better to regular dino oil. They resist breakdown from heat better, they're basically just better oil, period. My own oil analysis backs that up, but sorry I wouldn't want to cloud this issue with facts.

As I stated, nothing wrong with Rotella, it does well in testing and is always ranked right up at the top.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:17 PM   #6754
dfye55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
I have been monitoring this thread for a while 'cause I think the dr200 is the next bike I want. Anyone ridden slow street miles to get an idea of best mpg it is capable of?

Sent from mobile
Old 05-26-2013, 06:52 PM   #6755
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 99,204
I generally get around 70 or 75 miles to the gallon riding around surface streets in town, with lots of stopping and going and accelerations. I imagine that number would go up to 90 or so if I were to set a steady 40 miles an hour out in the country.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:20 PM   #6756
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
That's a load of misinformation. It's been proven in test after test that synthetics stand up better to regular dino oil. They resist breakdown from heat better, they're basically just better oil, period. My own oil analysis backs that up, but sorry I wouldn't want to cloud this issue with facts.

As I stated, nothing wrong with Rotella, it does well in testing and is always ranked right up at the top.

Buddy of mine worked for a place that did destructive testing on turbos. Part of the fun was draining all the oil out of an engine and waiting until it went boom. He said when the engine had dino oil it took only a minute or two. With synthetic, they'd sit around bored off their asses waiting for it to go - guys would take breaks, come back...nope still going strong.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:36 PM   #6757
bross
Where we riding to?

Old 05-26-2013, 09:25 PM   #6758
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post

we all have our beliefs. In every instance that I have compared the synthetics to a diesel or jaso rated oil they have failed. For me the first symptom on breakdown in hard and missed shifting. I thought that running a synthetic would be beneficial, now I just think it is a waste of money. Change you oil often. Keep using synthetic if you want, I have other stuff to spend money on... Mis info? Blah.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:29 PM   #6759
Klay
dreaming adventurer

I forbid any further mention of oil.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:42 PM   #6760
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,044
With a post count like yours, should I bitch? Oil is a stupid subject, use what you want, just change it....
Old 05-26-2013, 10:33 PM   #6761
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBumBrian View Post
Oil is a stupid subject, use what you want, just change it....

Indeed. That's enough about oil.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:11 PM   #6762
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
yeah...the "which oil should I use" is discussed on EVERY forum ad nauseam

nobody's going to win it...

cidd - you said your bike wouldn't hit 50mph in 4th gear before the mod? I just took my OEM bike out and it made it in 4th gear to 50mph, flat land, no problem. Heck I had it topped out at 80mph indicated (roughly 70-75mph actual).

I'm also only ~135lbs if that makes a difference...

I'm still trying to figure out how to "back it in" sumo style...I googled a how-to on supermotojunkie forums, and figured out the "go into 5th, click down 2 gears, tap the front/rear brakes to pitch the bike forward, slip clutch to slide the rear tire but don't lock it" - but EVERY time I get the rear wheel chattering. I'm going to a supermoto track sometime soon to get some instruction and figure it out in a controlled environment, but in an empty parking lot, I still can't get it...

and 1st gear, standing on the rear pegs, I can get the front wheel up...just can't seem to balance it/keep it there
northsouth15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:59 PM   #6763
BREWING304
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Ok I have a stupid question. I have only had my dr since friday so I don't know a lot about it yet. Are the tires tubed or tubless? I was looking at putting street tires on it, but didn't know if I had to do anything special if they are tubed from the factory or if it even matters.

Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
BREWING304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:00 PM   #6764
Klay
dreaming adventurer

They're tube-type.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:41 AM   #6765
BREWING304
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Ok so am I able to put a tubless tire on the bike? I have seen tubes for radial tires and didn't know if I was able to run a tube in a tubless tire. I am looking at running a pirelli sport demon on the rear.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
BREWING304 is offline   Reply With Quote