User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2013, 05:30 PM   #6796
85suzuki
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Evening ride

I got out for a quick ride this evening. I wanted to venture further into the wild but my mind would not let go of a few things. I left without telling anyone where I was going. I had nothing to fix a flat. I did not have a cell phone, no lighter, no first aid kit. So 20 km was as far as I was willing to walk out of the woods. My destination was Cloud lake NS. It was a good thing for this turtle that I found stuck on his back. Judging by how dry he was he must have been ther a while. Then on my way back from the lack I spotted another turtle trying to cross the road. So I bugged him for a picture.

Released into the water

85suzuki screwed with this post 06-10-2013 at 05:37 PM
85suzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:02 PM   #6797
kj7687
Uncle Sally

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85suzuki View Post
Still haven't done anything to the old girl. I'm sure it is an easy fix but I don't think plugging it is the answer. I have ordered a new gasket kit for when I do decide to investigate a little further but right now I'm just enjoying riding too much to go messing around. There are some pins in there that might have not been installed and might be causing the leak. I don't really know though.
Just changed the rear bearing tonight. I don't think that they have been out of the bike since they were installed in 85 or 86. You gotta love working on this bike it really is pretty simple stuff.
Let me know if you find out how to fix it.
Thanks for the response. I'm going to spend a little more time looking into a definite answer on this one. If I can't find one, I think I will plug it. I mean I really can't imagine any reason why plugging the hole could cause any problems... Plugging the hole might not be the "best" way to fix the issue, but I'm not pulling off the cylinder unless I have to, if I can fix the leak in five minutes with some $5 epoxy... I will try to remember to let you know (might be a while/don't really have any specific timeline on this) about it.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:58 AM   #6798
motoman3b
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Been a lurker for awhile on this site decided I should join and share my ride, picked this DR 200 up a little over a year ago, was a former driving school training bike. Have put a little over 5k miles on it and its a great bike! Not as radical as my old wr426 I once owned but a nice bike for back road crusing and back and forth to work.

It was bone stock when I got it, I've upgraded the exhaust, jetting, installed heated grips, put some new rubber under it, built a rack and mounted a tote on the back.

motoman3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:38 AM   #6799
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj7687 View Post
Thanks for the response. I'm going to spend a little more time looking into a definite answer on this one. If I can't find one, I think I will plug it. I mean I really can't imagine any reason why plugging the hole could cause any problems... Plugging the hole might not be the "best" way to fix the issue, but I'm not pulling off the cylinder unless I have to, if I can fix the leak in five minutes with some $5 epoxy... I will try to remember to let you know (might be a while/don't really have any specific timeline on this) about it.
Weep holes like that are usually to tell you that you have a bad gasket or such and give the leak a place to go that isn't going to cause more damage.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:19 PM   #6800
I'm Trying
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Best place to tap wire harness for switched 12v power

Anyone have recommendations for best place to tap wire harness for switched 12volt power? I planned to tap into the gray wire coming from the keyswitch. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I'm Trying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:20 PM   #6801
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
any other riders in the socal area with a DR200?

I'd be interested in checking out bikes with aftermarket handlebars, exhaust mods, etc.
northsouth15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:55 PM   #6802
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
just took it out for the first time in a couple weeks...such a fun bike!!!

I tried to clutch a 1st gear wheelie, and the front came up suddenly, but the rear tire struggled to gain traction and chirped before it came up

I still find the easiest way for me is to stand on the rear pegs, 1st gear, and power it up
northsouth15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:31 AM   #6803
motoman3b
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Trying View Post
Anyone have recommendations for best place to tap wire harness for switched 12volt power? I planned to tap into the gray wire coming from the keyswitch. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
For my heated grips I believe it was an orange wire I tapped into, all you need to do is unplug the connection and test with a volt meter, key on power key off no power
motoman3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:34 PM   #6804
I'm Trying
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
"For my heated grips I believe it was an orange wire "

Yep. The orange wire feeds the headlamp and is the thickest of the switched wires. I always like to ask before I cut anything important.
I'm Trying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:04 AM   #6805
BREWING304
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Has anyone rebuilt or did anything with the forks to make the bike handle better on curvy roads?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
BREWING304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:42 AM   #6806
Queen of Spades
tall drink of water

Oddometer: 770
Looking at a couple DR200's and the thing that is holding me back is the stock suspension and ride height.

Has anyone found a way to replace the stock shock & swingarm with something from a motocross bike? It would be good to get a rear disc on it too. I figure the forks would be the least of my worries..

Queen of Spades screwed with this post 06-17-2013 at 05:03 AM
Queen of Spades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:20 AM   #6807
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Spades View Post
Looking at a couple DR200's and the thing that is holding me back is the stock suspension and ride height.

Has anyone found a way to replace the stock shock & swingarm with something from a motocross bike? It would be good to get a rear disc on it too. I figure the forks would be the least of my worries..
Buy a WR250 The DR200 is a great bike for what it is, but IMHO it is not a great platform for much modding, just not worth it.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:31 AM   #6808
Queen of Spades
tall drink of water

Oddometer: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Buy a WR250 The DR200 is a great bike for what it is, but IMHO it is not a great platform for much modding, just not worth it.
Show me a WR250 for $2000. :)

thought about getting a roller RM250 and putting the DR motor and electrical/lighting system on it, but I think that would mean the bike would be a RM250 in the eyes of the DOT office.

I really want a lightweight air-cooled dual sport that has a full MX frame. I enjoy my KTM LC4, so I'm good there.

Queen of Spades screwed with this post 06-17-2013 at 05:03 AM
Queen of Spades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:01 PM   #6809
EKinOR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Bought a 2006 DR200SE with just under 1600 miles this weekend. It is the wife's first bike. It had the typical fuel in the air box and erratic idle issue. I tore the cab down and it was clean but the float needle valve o-ring was dried out. Replaced the o-ring, adjusted the float, and removed the CA smog crap and now it runs great!

I backed off the rear shock preload as much as I dared, as the wife has a 29" inseam. That got about 3/4" lower. I'll probably drop the forks about the same and shave the seat, which should put it about right.

I rode it home and got it up to 70MPH indicated, but any little hill sure dropped the speed. I'll probably do the carb jets and exhaust mods and maybe change the gearing a bit to improve highway speeds.

It's a fun little bike and it sure is totally different than riding my BMW R1150GS!
Old 06-16-2013, 09:44 PM   #6810
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by EKinOR View Post
Bought a 2006 DR200SE with just under 1600 miles this weekend. It is the wife's first bike. It had the typical fuel in the air box and erratic idle issue. I tore the cab down and it was clean but the float needle valve o-ring was dried out. Replaced the o-ring, adjusted the float, and removed the CA smog crap and now it runs great!
Problems with the petcock are very common with the DR200 after a number of years. The seals wear out and sometimes gas flows through the vacuum line into the intake tract or through a bad O-ring or weak needle and seat into the airbox. If you get gas in the oil, this is probably what has happened.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote