Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2013, 01:47 AM   #6946
inuvik
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
I would snap that up immediately. That seems like a good price, although I haven't been in the market for a long time. If it's been sitting for six years, it'll just need a carb cleaning and a battery.
I agree, buy it now if it really only has that low of miles. I'd offer $1800 with the reason that you'll spend all that time and money in fuel driving. But even at $2000 it's a smoking deal. Go get it before somebody else beats you to it.
2005 DR200SE: Ricochet skidplate, Spitfire S-06 Windshield, Suzuki Handguards, Tusk handlebar risers, Cycleracks rear rack, Chase-Harper B-Alaska Bag, DG Performance Exhaust, Tutoro Chain Oiler, Garmin Etrek GPS.
inuvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:11 AM   #6947
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,186
Thanks for the info.
Yes, after a lot of bikes over a lot of years, I am riding a TU250, another beginners bike, and its a hoot.

I liked the XT225, (6 speed trans!) but its no longer made, and my friend had two of them, both had wrist pin problems, and the TW200 motor made some nasty noises at low miles, a knocking at wider throttle openings that caused worry.
All my Suzuki engines seemed to love abuse, happy to sing all day long.

I hope I find as good a deal as you did, but at the price of these bikes, I just might buy new.

The only problem is that my wife wants a scooter, and me having 2 bikes and her not having a scooter is not going to fly....

Quote:
Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
I think the DR is highly underrated. It's frowned upon as a "beginners" motorcycle but l've been riding for over 40 years now and have owned a bunch of different motorcycle and I enjoy these small displacement enduro's the best of anything I've owned. I really enjoyed my XT225 but I like the DR even better. I bought my 2005 last year in 2012 with 61 miles on it (that's not a typo) for $2400.00 I've put about another $600.00 in mods so I'm into it for a total of about $3000.00 You just can't beat the price on these and they are very durable. I had over 13k on my XT225 with absolutely no mechanical problems. The rest of the bike was starting to give me trouble which the reason I got rid of it. The DR is built better in my opinion and I'm looking forward to putting 20-30k on this one.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:12 AM   #6948
Trailrider200
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
I found an 07 DR200 with 96 miles on it.It looks good but the owner says it won't run properly and believes it needs a carb or a carb rebuild.They are asking $2000.What would you guys offer?I mean a serious offer.I have to take into account that I will be driving 3 hours one way just to have a look at the bike.
my used '07 didn't idle right either and it only had 650 miles on it when I brought it from a dealership. their cure was turn the iddle screw up.
problem was after I removed the EPA cap was that the idle mixture screw was closed. that's right from the factory it was closed.

"Our Constitution was made only for a Moral and Religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the goverment of any other."
John Adams 10/11/1798

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under" Ronald Reagan
Trailrider200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:08 AM   #6949
suseuser
Love to ride

Oddometer: 110
Rear Flat tire

The 200 got it's first flat yesterday. And believe it or not it was caused by goat-heads! I thought they only flattened your bicycle tires. With the stock new tires I didn't think that was possible. Anyway, all my other bikes have center stands. How do you get the weight off the back tire so you can repair a flat when you only have a sidestand? I'm sure out on a trail I would just end up laying the DR on it's side and doing my best. But, I have it at home and have access to tools.
And in regards to tube repair; I know it would be better to replace the tube. But how to patches hold out? Pulling the back tire looks like a pain in the butt.
I really did search the forum and could find anything.

Curtis

suseuser screwed with this post 07-05-2013 at 09:09 AM Reason: typo
suseuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:34 AM   #6950
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by suseuser View Post
The 200 got it's first flat yesterday. And believe it or not it was caused by goat-heads! I thought they only flattened your bicycle tires. With the stock new tires I didn't think that was possible. Anyway, all my other bikes have center stands. How do you get the weight off the back tire so you can repair a flat when you only have a sidestand? I'm sure out on a trail I would just end up laying the DR on it's side and doing my best. But, I have it at home and have access to tools.
And in regards to tube repair; I know it would be better to replace the tube. But how to patches hold out? Pulling the back tire looks like a pain in the butt.
I really did search the forum and could find anything.

Curtis
I put a jackstand under the swingarm.

Klay screwed with this post 07-05-2013 at 09:40 AM
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:12 AM   #6951
suseuser
Love to ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
I put a jackstand under the swingarm.
I never thought about just trying to get the swingarm off the ground. I was thinking of lifting the bike by the frame.
But here is something strange. I put a little air in the tire and it was leaking around the valve stem about as fast as I could put it in. Then I continued to fill the tire. All of a sudden the tire stopped leaking air. What the heck? Then again just because air was leaking around the stem doesn't mean that was location of the leak. I don't think there is "Slime" in the tires. I'm still going to pull the back wheel and remove the tire and check things out. I haven't pulled a wheel with drum brakes in so long I think I forgot how!

Update: Apparently the tire went flat after about 15min. Time to pull the wheel.

suseuser screwed with this post 07-05-2013 at 11:10 AM Reason: update
Old 07-05-2013, 10:30 AM   #6952
whipit1k
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
I am looking for a stock DR200se seat cover. anybody got one they would like to sell? maybe leftover from a custom seat job?
whipit1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:02 AM   #6953
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
curtis - are you looking for at-home ways?

why not just buy a rear stand?

northsouth15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:17 PM   #6954
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by suseuser View Post
From what I've read, the DR200 is a pain to install handguards. Is this just the DR200? Or is it also the DR200se? I'm not even sure what the "se" stands for.
The 200 has handlebar weights welded in to the bars so a pain to drill out, plus the grips are vulcanized to the bars so almost impossible to remove unless you like spending hours with a sharp knife and grinder. Much easier to just buy a set of new bars and grips and install your barkbusters etc. on those. You can get bars for as little as $20. You will probably want a bit more rise anyway, makes it easier to ride standing on the pegs. My wife and I both run bars with an ATV High bend.

If you're determined to use your stock bars, I believe I read that you can cut about an 1/8" of an inch off the ends, that effectively cuts the weld off, so you can now pull the weights out of the bars to allow you to install your guard inserts.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:33 PM   #6955
suseuser
Love to ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
The 200 has handlebar weights welded in to the bars so a pain to drill out, plus the grips are vulcanized to the bars so almost impossible to remove unless you like spending hours with a sharp knife and grinder. Much easier to just buy a set of new bars and grips and install your barkbusters etc. on those. You can get bars for as little as $20. You will probably want a bit more rise anyway, makes it easier to ride standing on the pegs. My wife and I both run bars with an ATV High bend.

If you're determined to use your stock bars, I believe I read that you can cut about an 1/8" of an inch off the ends, that effectively cuts the weld off, so you can now pull the weights out of the bars to allow you to install your guard inserts.
I think new bars would be the way to go. After spending some time standing on the pegs it is a wee bit low. I sort of have a hunch back thing going on.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:07 PM   #6956
suseuser
Love to ride

Ogio 180 motorcycle stand

Has anyone used one of these stands?
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...oto-Stand.aspx

I just bought one and I can't get the DR200 up on it. I'm thinking the DR is too short.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:51 PM   #6957
ABHooligan
The Flying Mythos

Oddometer: 1,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit1k View Post
Just bought a 1996 DR200 , I am curious, does anybody know who has got the highest mileage DR200 in the adv family here? I am sure it is not me: my bike has 15K. more than most little bikes but not outlandish. Just wondering if there are some truly well used 200's out there
SquirrelyGrl has 32,000 hard miles on her 07. She hasn't been kind to it either.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:11 PM   #6958
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Larryboy allegedly put 90,000 miles on his.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:18 PM   #6959
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Found it:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryboy
Thanks!! Mark is cool beans, but he raves about whatever he's riding at the moment...just like the rest of us.

I'm not anti-WR250R, I just think there are better choices in that weight class. I put 90,000 miles on a 1985 DR200.

That ride on the Husky I had a moving average of 37.5 MPH for 23 days with a top speed of 102 on a playa, the 250 wouldn't have worked, but I bet it would have had more resale value at the end.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:41 PM   #6960
Cheska
Old but still kickin

Oddometer: 8
need a new brake lever

Hi just had a slow right hand turn drop me and the bike. Besides the mirror a
little scratched up the front brake lever got crunched. I cut part off and it works OK but need help locating a cheap replacement. Any help appreciated.
Thanks Bob
Cheska is offline   Reply With Quote