Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #6976
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Mustang View Post
What jet sizes should I bring along? I'm driving 2,400 miles for this Colorado trip. I want to be prepared just in case. I heard Colorado is 14,000 feet above sea level.

I'm at sea level now (Houston). And my bike gets really hot. My friend walked by my bike and said it feels hot like a oven. Maybe it is too lean.
I had my DR200 at 14,000 feet with the stock jets. It ran great in that configuration. You'll spend much more time at 8,000 to 10,000 feet in Colorado. The stock setup is ideal for those altitudes. I put the Kientech jets in mine...didn't look at the sizes, just put them in. It's much less cold-blooded now. I'm at about 900 feet in Minnesota.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:55 PM   #6977
73Mustang
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinhilo View Post
If you only need to adjust valves, I think that someone has posted the procedure with pics somewhere in this thread. You just need to take the time to find it.
There's almost 7000 post in this thread. Finding stuff is like looking for needle in haystack.

We desperately need an FAQ for us DR200 newbies.
73Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:59 PM   #6978
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
There's almost 7000 post in this thread. Finding stuff is like looking for needle in haystack.

We desperately need an FAQ for us DR200 newbies.

I've got a lot of information collected in the second post. I'll see if I can find the tune-up notes and add the link to that post.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:16 PM   #6979
Klay
dreaming adventurer

This is the closest I could find:

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=964

One trick to getting the flywheel cover open is to crack it loose the day before, when the engine is hot. Never tighten this cover back down to anything except slightly tighter than finger-tight, or you'll never get it loose again without a hammer and chisel.

You turn the engine counterclockwise until you see the intake valve open and close again. Rotate just past this until you see the hash mark in the flywheel inspection port. Then you're at top dead center on the compression stroke. Then check the clearance between the tappet and the rocker arm with your feeler gauge and adjust as necessary.

The main thing is to make sure there's plenty of clearance. A tight and quiet valve runs the risk of damage. You want them loose and clacky.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:22 PM   #6980
73Mustang
Gnarly Adventurer

What would happen if you turn the crank the wrong direction?

Would it damage anything?
Old 07-08-2013, 01:29 PM   #6981
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:

I'm not sure if it would damage anything, but the slack in the cam chain might be in the wrong place or something if you turn it clockwise.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:35 PM   #6982
philp38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highaltidude View Post
The wife and I got the DRs out to Moab. Three days of phenomenal riding.

A pic from the Dead Horse State Park Visitors Center:

A pic from the White Rim Trail:

The DR on the Slickrock Bike Trail:

Chuck
Looks like great riding...
Old 07-08-2013, 03:22 PM   #6983
suseuser
Love to ride

Oddometer: 108
Hesitation only at certain rpms

I seem to have a consistent problem with the engine cutting out at certain rpms. A good example would be on the last shift at between 30 and 35 mph. If I shift into 5th gear around 30 mph it's as if it's running out of fuel. I'm not talking about bogging the engine. If I open up the throttle it problem clears up. And when I am at higher speeds, say 45 to 60 mph. I don't have the hesitation problem. I also don't have any problem at idle. This DR200 has been sitting for a couple years. I took the carburetor off and cleaned all the jets and flushed the rest of the assembly. It seems really clean. I also drained the tank and ran some fuel system cleaner through the next fill-up. I hear there is a filter/screen somewhere in the fuel cut-off valve. Maybe that is my next course of action. I would think that fuel starvation due to a plugged fuel line would be a problem at higher RPM's not just at shift points.
suseuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:33 PM   #6984
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by suseuser View Post
I seem to have a consistent problem with the engine cutting out at certain rpms. A good example would be on the last shift at between 30 and 35 mph. If I shift into 5th gear around 30 mph it's as if it's running out of fuel. I'm not talking about bogging the engine. If I open up the throttle it problem clears up. And when I am at higher speeds, say 45 to 60 mph. I don't have the hesitation problem. I also don't have any problem at idle. This DR200 has been sitting for a couple years. I took the carburetor off and cleaned all the jets and flushed the rest of the assembly. It seems really clean. I also drained the tank and ran some fuel system cleaner through the next fill-up. I hear there is a filter/screen somewhere in the fuel cut-off valve. Maybe that is my next course of action. I would think that fuel starvation due to a plugged fuel line would be a problem at higher RPM's not just at shift points.
Can you duplicate it by staying in one gear? Try holding steady throttle in one gear at different throttle openings: idle, just off idle, 1/4 throttle, 1/2 throttle etc. See if you can reproduce the symptom. If you do then that should point towards what circuit in the carb may still be blocked even partially.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:26 PM   #6985
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Quote:

It'd be the same as if you rolled backwards while in gear, no need to worry about damage to the engine. The reason you do it Klay's way is exactly as he stated, the slack in the cam chain might cause you to inaccurately set the valves.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:28 PM   #6986
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Quote:
This sounds a lot like a plugged fuel filter. I always run aftermarket filters so that I can just reverse them to clean on the trail if they become clogged.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:25 PM   #6987
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
spark plug?

although it does sound like a fuel starvation issue - did you replace the OEM petcock yet?
northsouth15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:39 AM   #6988
73Mustang
Gnarly Adventurer

I just tried some Rotella T 15w40. No difference to my shifting. Still feels like the clutch is not total disengaging. Still have to rev match to change gear. Very annoying. But mine only has 150 miles odo. Hoping problem will soon go away, like somebody said. I'm abusing the clutch as much as I can to break 'em in faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGoldstein View Post
Inconsistent shifting is something I'm still experiencing at 3,400 km (2,100 mi)...I have a litre of Shell Rotella 15W-40 diesel oil that I'm going use for the next oil change. If I notice any improvement I'll report it.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:19 AM   #6989
73Mustang
Gnarly Adventurer

What brand oil filter you guys using?

Do the $3 Tusk filter fit properly?

OEM is $7.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:54 AM   #6990
Joelness
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Napa PS 4949 $4. It comes with both o-rings as apposed to the OEM with only one. I don't know anything about the Tusk, but I'very had good luck with their brake pads and handlebars so far.