Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2013, 03:20 PM   #7366
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
Meh, a good rider can take a DR 200 to the most difficult places. My 6'3" buddy took my wife's DR 200 up a bunch of rocky 12,000' passes, steep slopes, water crossings and all kinds of fun stuff. Won't keep up with KTM but it will get you most anywhere.

I'll bet he wasn't trying to complete 230 miles that day with sweep on his tail. The bike is physically capable of going on the hard ways, but you're going to be flinstoning most of it, and its going to be a huge time sink on a route that doesn't allow for much lolligagging. The biggest problem with the small bikes on the LAB2V is staying in front of sweep. If you want to finish - don't leave late, don't take too many breaks, and don't waste time trying to get your bike through the hard ways.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:07 AM   #7367
LumberingJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
Meh, a good rider can take a DR 200 to the most difficult places. My 6'3" buddy took my wife's DR 200 up a bunch of rocky 12,000' passes, steep slopes, water crossings and all kinds of fun stuff. Won't keep up with KTM but it will get you most anywhere.

Agreed - took the old DR 125 to a local enduro yesterday in the vintage class. Only got one lap in but so did a good number of guys on "proper" modern bikes.

Vid only shows a snapshot and doesn't show just how hard a lot of it was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1BOZhUUF7E
LumberingJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:06 PM   #7368
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
I agree that it's *possible* but do you really want to do it?

especially on a ride as long as that???

I'll go on day trips, and ride with the guys on newer 250's and 450's, and I have no problem keeping up...but I guess it's just me getting old, but knarly stuff for 1 day on a dr200 is all I want to take!

even this mild hill climb, was a 1st/2nd gear WOT snail crawl...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40OJaq7WrjE

please ignore the yelling - it looked a lot more intimidating in person!

northsouth15 screwed with this post 09-09-2013 at 04:27 PM
northsouth15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:14 PM   #7369
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
You're on the right track...it's almost always a safety switch when that happens. Check the kill switch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelness View Post
If it's the switches themselves then you can bypass them. The clutch switch connects behind the headlight cover and can just be connected back to itself. The kickstand switch, the plug is under the seat and if I remember correctly requires a jumper to bypass. If the kill switch has grounded itself to the handlebars you can just disconnect it to check.
thanks for the info guys, I pulled off the headlight and shorted the two leads to bypass the clutch switch - to see if that's why the starter doesn't work , but still no response. It's almost as if the starter motor just died or isn't getting any power at all

I think I'm going to follow the book on this one - I'll start with the starter relay voltage test, then test the starter motor.

the bike is also acting pretty funny right now - after I bump start it, the bike needs a lot of throttle to run, only occasionally idling, and after a few minutes, it stalls independent of throttle position

I just pulled off the carb, removed the pilot jet and blew it clear, blew carb cleaner through all the jet passageways, and made sure the disc on the top of the slide was still in position - all of that is set

I wonder if all of this is based on the voltage regulator/rectifier? that would explain why the bike randomly stalls after a few minutes (the R/R is overheating), but will bump start after I let the bike sit for a few minutes (which allows it to cool down).

northsouth15 screwed with this post 09-09-2013 at 07:29 PM
Old 09-09-2013, 08:26 PM   #7370
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer

well, the suzuki service manual was correct - I just gave my starter relay a couple taps, and now the starter motor turns...however, not consistently. If it stopped turning, I'd pull the seat off, give it a couple wacks with the dull end of a screw driver, and it would work again...new starter motor relay ordered from ebay.

but regardless, the bike didn't start, and the battery didn't have much power to keep things running...which makes me think - if the battery was almost dead, maybe the regulator/rectifier is toast?

can a failing regulator/rectifier also harm the starter relay?

what are the signs of a failing regulator/rectifier anyways?

I'm going one step at a time:
1.) replace the starter relay - make sure the starter motor turns
2.) if I can get the bike to start, but it runs funny, I'll replace the regulator/rectifier and see if it gets going
3.) if not, I'll go back into the carbs and get someone to throw it in an ultrasonic cleaner to fully clear out the jet passageways

so many things going wrong on this bike...pretty surprising with only 900 miles!

northsouth15 screwed with this post 09-09-2013 at 08:32 PM
Old 09-09-2013, 08:29 PM   #7371
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 97,890
Check the battery out first. A weak battery acts like that.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:16 PM   #7372
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer

honestly, at this point in time, it could be anything! I just assumed the battery was fine since the previous owner replaced it new (this year), and I had no issues with the battery until the bike started acting up on me intermittently the past couple months

I'm just going to replace one piece at a time and see what works or not...

luckily, the DR200 is not really a hot bike in high demand...so you can still score deals on fleabay...a used regulator/rectifier was only $10+s&h and the replacement starter relay was about $17+s&h...hopefully these work out!
Old 09-09-2013, 11:34 PM   #7373
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 97,890
the bike not running without a lot of throttle sounds like carb trouble. Sometimes it takes multiple cleanings to get the carb sorted.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:49 AM   #7374
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by northsouth15 View Post
honestly, at this point in time, it could be anything! I just assumed the battery was fine since the previous owner replaced it new (this year), and I had no issues with the battery until the bike started acting up on me intermittently the past couple months

I'm just going to replace one piece at a time and see what works or not...

luckily, the DR200 is not really a hot bike in high demand...so you can still score deals on fleabay...a used regulator/rectifier was only $10+s&h and the replacement starter relay was about $17+s&h...hopefully these work out!
You don't have to replace anything electrical unless its faulty. Service manual has checks /tests for the alternator, r/r etc. Do those tests on those parts and just replace what's needed.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:59 AM   #7375
CrappieHappy
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Question Tore into top of carb

Well, I removed the carb, and opened the top for inspection, thus far, it looks like i am missing the Pilot air jet, and the Needle jet, per the crappy carb diagrams i can find. I will notate the parts, then disassemble the float bowl, and clean/check for missing parts as well.

any suggestions/assistance would be appreciated.

CrappieHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:19 AM   #7376
CrappieHappy
n00b

Tore into top of carb

I removed, and opened the top of the Carb, per the carb diagrams i was able to locate, it looks like i am missing the pilot air jet, and the needle jet.

I will inventory the missing parts, then remove the float bowl, and disassemble/clean the lower carb as well looking for any missing parts..

anyone have any pics of the carb etc, any suggestion/tips would be appreciated.

CrappieHappy screwed with this post 09-10-2013 at 10:36 AM
Old 09-10-2013, 10:08 AM   #7377
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 2,962
If the parts aren't there,they aren't going to be in the float bowl.Someone stripped the carbs and left parts out.A lot of parts.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:37 AM   #7378
CrappieHappy
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
If the parts aren't there,they aren't going to be in the float bowl.Someone stripped the carbs and left parts out.A lot of parts.
Thanks, It has the cap, diaphram, spring , needle for the diaphram, but looks like its missing what i circled in Red, and blue in the above pic.

May try to find a complete carb rebuild kit, and go from there...
Old 09-10-2013, 10:52 AM   #7379
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
the bike not running without a lot of throttle sounds like carb trouble. Sometimes it takes multiple cleanings to get the carb sorted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
You don't have to replace anything electrical unless its faulty. Service manual has checks /tests for the alternator, r/r etc. Do those tests on those parts and just replace what's needed.
I got it running right, but now I'm even more confused!

I charged the battery overnight, and put it back into the bike. I hit the starter button - no click. So I gave the starter relay a few taps and she turned over. Since I didn't tighten the float bowl drain plug, the carb was dry, so it took a few tries to get her going, but she started...barely. Just like last night, I had to keep the throttle pretty far open to stay running.

So I popped the top of the carb again and checked for the little "disc" under the spring (EDIT: this is called a spring seat) - sure enough, it had fallen out (again??). I put the disc back in, put the top back on, hooked everything up, and she still wouldn't start, so I did a roll start and now she was running back to normal.

so I'm pretty stoked it's running, thanks guys!

but I've been at this stage before...bike runs fine, then randomly dies. here are the situations -
1.) riding on the trail, had a tip over, bike tough to start, needed a lot of throttle to stay running, would randomly stall (independent of throttle position)
2.) riding on the freeway revved out at 70-85mph...bike randomly "cuts" out for a second or two...eventually stops running completely, used a bump start from freeway speed to get it started again, at next exit ramp, it stalls completely. Bump start to get it to work, then runs okay.
3.) riding up the trail - works fine. About an hour up the mountain (mid-ride), bike's low throttle response disappears, bike stalls. Check carb top side for the "disc" - which is still in place. Need WOT to keep bike running, and make it ot the bottom of the mountain; bike eventually stalls independent of throttle position. Let bike sit, and it'll roll start again, but goes a few miles and stalls independent of throttle position. Get a ride home in a pickup truck.

it's strange...I understand why it would fail on the trail (usually means that disc on the top of the carb fell out), but why would it randomly stall on the freeway?

it definitely needs a starter relay; but after that I'm not sure where the random problems come from...

northsouth15 screwed with this post 09-10-2013 at 11:00 AM
Old 09-10-2013, 11:35 AM   #7380
Trailrider200
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrappieHappy View Post
Thanks, It has the cap, diaphram, spring , needle for the diaphram, but looks like its missing what i circled in Red, and blue in the above pic.

May try to find a complete carb rebuild kit, and go from there...
this is similar to our carb, might give some helpful info.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347184

"Our Constitution was made only for a Moral and Religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the goverment of any other."
John Adams 10/11/1798

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under" Ronald Reagan
Trailrider200 is offline   Reply With Quote