Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2008, 09:34 PM   #781
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
Total DR200 newbie here. On Friday I scored a non-running 8 years old DR200SE. After new fluids, new battery, fresh gas and rebuilt carburetor it starts fine and runs pretty OK.

But it doesn't run well and I have couple other questions too. Would appreciate some help from the collective.

1. Fuel level. What's the correct fuel level with this thing? I used to have a KLR650 and in that one the fuel level spec was +/-1mm from the bottom of carb body. In this bike the fuel rises 3mm above the bowl. Seems high to me...
What's the fuel level spec for DR200SE?

2. Off-idle stumble. The bike starts fine and revs easy when in neutral but under load the engine stumbles a bit when opening the throttle. Idle is fine and steady and after the initial hesitation it does pick up steam but it always stumbles when getting on the throttle. Does it warm and cold.
Any suggestions?
I cleaned the carb pretty darn well. Jets were 125 main and 35 pilot, those are the stock size I assume?

3. Oil level. Is the oil level supposed to be checked when bike is on side stand, or when upright?

Thanks guys!

--
Mikko

1. 13 mm +/- 1 mm measured the same way.

2. I suspect the carb. I'd clean it some more. Sometimes there's stuff in there you can't see. Yes, those are the stock sizes for the jets.

3. Check oil level with bike balanced upright.

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 09:49 PM   #782
FlyingFinn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,112
Thanks Klay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay
I don't quite get that....

I'm used to running a clear hose from the drain "spigot" up along the side of the carb, then open the drain screw and see where fuel level settles. For KLR the spec is right along the bottom of carb body.

But what's this "13mm" business?... 13mm from where to where?

Oh, and how about the pilot screw? How many turns open?
(I removed all jets and the screw for cleaning them separately and to really soak the carb body. Put the screw back to how I found it, 1.75 turns open.)

--
Mikko
FlyingFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:28 PM   #783
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Thanks Klay.

I don't quite get that....

I'm used to running a clear hose from the drain "spigot" up along the side of the carb, then open the drain screw and see where fuel level settles. For KLR the spec is right along the bottom of carb body.

But what's this "13mm" business?... 13mm from where to where?

Oh, and how about the pilot screw? How many turns open?
(I removed all jets and the screw for cleaning them separately and to really soak the carb body. Put the screw back to how I found it, 1.75 turns open.)

--
Mikko

If you're looking at the carb with the float bowl off, you want the bottom of the float to be 13 millimeters lower than the bottom of the carb when the needle is first fully seated. I'm looking at the service manual here.

Check Kientech.com for the optimum pilot jet setting.

windigo
Old 10-20-2008, 03:00 AM   #784
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,682
Quote:

2. I suspect the carb. I'd clean it some more. Sometimes there's stuff in there you can't see. Yes, those are the stock sizes for the jets.

3. Check oil level with bike balanced upright.
I agree with Klay on #2. When I got my DR200, it had been sitting and would not run, only pop and try to start. I took the carb apart and it was clean looking. I blew everything out, and although it "looked" clean before I started, when I put it back together it ran OK.

I would also recommend that you take a look at the air filter. They can deteriorate to the point where they disintegrate, if not serviced regularly. A hole on it or if it is not seated properly will make it run lean. These little bikes are extremely sensitive to disruptions in proper fuel and airflow.

If it will idle, set the mixture screw 1/4 to 1/2 turn out (rich) of the peak rpm obtained. Every bike is a bit different, adjust for best idle speed with the throttle closed, then just a bit more open, to minimize off idle hesitation.

I have noted that with both my DR200 and DR650 that when the correct amount of oil is put in after a complete drain, the sight glass shows over full when held upright. This has been characteristic of all of the Suzukis I have had experience with, ever since my days as a dealer back in the late 70s-early 80s.

Good luck.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:26 AM   #785
FlyingFinn
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks guys, no matter what I'll have to pull the carb out one more time to replace the needle valve. As it is, the valve doesn't close and will slowly flood the carb. At that time I'll also set the float level to 13mm.

The bike actually runs pretty good. Starts easy, idles steady and runs fine once up to speed.
It only suffers from off-idle stumble when getting on throttle.
So nothing is really messed up, could just be bad jetting I suppose.

I squirted plenty of carb cleaner and blew air through those pesky little passages so they SHOULD be clean by now.

What size jets does the Kiantech kit use?
Does it do anything with the needle?

--
Mikko
Old 10-20-2008, 01:10 PM   #786
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Thanks guys, no matter what I'll have to pull the carb out one more time to replace the needle valve. As it is, the valve doesn't close and will slowly flood the carb. At that time I'll also set the float level to 13mm.

The bike actually runs pretty good. Starts easy, idles steady and runs fine once up to speed.
It only suffers from off-idle stumble when getting on throttle.
So nothing is really messed up, could just be bad jetting I suppose.

I squirted plenty of carb cleaner and blew air through those pesky little passages so they SHOULD be clean by now.

What size jets does the Kiantech kit use?
Does it do anything with the needle?

--
Mikko
My 200 developed a little off-idle glitch a while back, and cleaning it once didn't help. Cleaning it twice did the trick. I tried to get all the plastic and metal parts out that I could, because the carb cleaner will attack them.

I never looked at my jets from Kientech, so I don't know what size they are. I just put them in.

windigo
Old 10-20-2008, 02:35 PM   #787
FlyingFinn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I tried to get all the plastic and metal parts out that I could, because the carb cleaner will attack them.
That's the thing I'm worried about. I used the "dunk em' in a bucket" type carb cleaner for the jets I took out but used just the spray type for the carb itself. I'm worried about the plastic washers + seals on the the plate shaft and the plastic slide guides if the whole think sits in the cleaner bucket.

I'll repeat the spray + air treatment on the carb body when I pull it for the new needle jet...

--
Mikko
Old 10-20-2008, 07:01 PM   #788
John650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Mikko

Mikko,

If the carb is flooding back into the air you may also have a bad petcock. Here is a thread about my problems with the wife's dr200:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=dr200

I replaced it with a manual petcock but if you don't shut it off it will still flood back into the air box. My understanding is that since it is now gravity feed the pressure from the tank is to much for the float valve to handle.

I also had the same problems with the idle. I finally got the Kintec mods done an it has been running fine since. Save yourself the headaches and get the jet kit & exhaust mod right away. Jesse is a good guy and took the time to answer all of my questions when I called him and he had a quick turn around time for the exhaust

John
Old 10-20-2008, 08:43 PM   #789
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John650
Mikko,

If the carb is flooding back into the air you may also have a bad petcock.
+1

The petcocks all seem to go bad at a certain point. They started leaking at about the same time on both my wife's and my DR200's...about six years after we bought them in '01.

But the petcock wasn't the cause of the off-idle roughness on mine...cleaning the carb cured that for me. The petcock leak allowed fuel to dribble into the airbox and caused it to start a little hard and smoky. Then it would clear up and run good.

There's nothing wrong with the stock set-up other than the cold-bloodedness in colder weather. The advantage to the stock set-up is that the bikes run very well, even up to 14,000 feet without modification. I haven't tested it yet, but I'm pretty sure they'll run awful...way too rich...above nine or ten thousand feet, with the Kientech jets in them. I'll bring extra jets along if we take them to the mountains again. Also I can always take the airbox covers completely off if necessary at high altitude.

windigo
Old 10-20-2008, 08:51 PM   #790
planetmike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
The Way The DR200 Should be Sold

With carb mod, exhaust mod, no airbox lid, forks leveled, smaller counter sprocket, smaller indicator lights, aftermarket brake light, new higher/wider handlebars and guards, and Trackmaster rear tire, now the little DR is a sweet dualsport.
Attached Images

planetmike screwed with this post 10-21-2008 at 04:41 AM
planetmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:55 PM   #791
planetmike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
The Way The DR200 Should be Sold

Part 2
Attached Images

planetmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:43 PM   #792
FlyingFinn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John650
Mikko,
If the carb is flooding back into the air you may also have a bad petcock.
I know mine has that too :-) it floods when left sitting but doesn't flow enough to keep the bike running (bike runs at its current "kind of ok" state only on PRI"). How bad is that, it's almost closed when it's supposed to be open and it's still almost closed when it's supposed to be closed. LOL.

New manual petcock, new needle valve and one step bigger pilot jet are on their way....
Old 10-21-2008, 08:50 PM   #793
c5babe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
I am pretty new at riding motorcycles. A few months ago, I went out and bought a DR200 and surprised the heck out of my husband. I took the MSF and then rode on my local airport until I got the courage to face real traffic on the roads. I was out in California in Vacaville when I bought the 200, and I had to get a CA driver license so I could ride. I took a few 150-200 mile day trips to places like Lake Beryessa and Rutherford getting comfortable riding, altho the rear end never did get comfy. Unfortunately, I injured my neck and was unable to ride for 7 weeks. I left California on the 30th of September and headed back home to Minnesota with the 200 on a trailer behind my minivan. My husband was visiting his sick father in Indiana, and headed out westward to meet me at Mt Rushmore in S. Dakota on his BMW F800. We spent a day there riding some cool dirt and gravel logging roads, checking out the touristy spots and enjoying the beautiful weather. We rode up the Needles Highway and went through Custer State Park. Years ago, Gary and I used to go rock climbing there. It was nice to be back. I can't even begin to tell you all the roads we took that day because I didn't write anything down, just that we had a blast. I had only ridden 500 miles total in my entire life, and I was riding for the first time after my neck healed, AND I was riding with the one I love after being separated from him for a whole year because of my job, so I was feeling very very happy. So now we're back in Minnesota, winter is quickly approaching and I have to bundle up to do any riding at all. I have 1500 miles now with little prospect of getting any more before spring. My DR200 is no longer shiny and new.....it has mud on it, and is all dusty. It looks sad sitting in my garage, as if it knows it will have to wait 5 or more months from now to before it can go back out and play. I've promised it a trip to Colorado next spring when it warms up, though.

Napa Valley

Lake Berryessa. The DR200 had about 100 miles on it.

Gary was on his way to meet me at Mt. Rushmore. I love the dinosaur.

M.jpg
Custer State Park

Mt. Rushmore

There are 2 prong horn antelope just beyond the tree eye-balling us.

c5babe screwed with this post 10-22-2008 at 03:18 PM
c5babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:04 PM   #794
miniroot
running in: please pass

Oddometer: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by c5babe
My DR200 is no longer shiny and new.....it has mud on it, and is all dusty.
Exactly as it should be! And far preferable to being in six different boxes in the garage, which is how mine spends most of its time.

Good to see women riding; my wife's dying to get back on the DR, although at 39 weeks pregnant, she's got a few things to get out of the way before she'll be back in the saddle.
miniroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:37 PM   #795
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by c5babe
I am pretty new at riding motorcycles. A few months ago, I went out and bought a DR200 and surprised the heck out of my husband.
Great to see you on here! I hope you can make one of those meet 'n greets. (looks like I can't make the next one)

P.s. Renazco makes a custom seat for the DR200.

windigo