User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2008, 04:35 AM   #796
TheCowboy
back in the saddle again

Oddometer: 604
Love those female riders!!

WOW! what a luckey guy your husband is !! Hey! that is a cool pic of the F800 and the dinasoar (can't speel) scuplture.

I forgot about the Renzico (can't speel again) seat. Check out their website. That may be the way to go.

See you tomarrow night... maybe it will be a nice enough weekend we can ride south to Fairbault and visit Klay and his wife (ADVriders on here - they have DR200's and 650's and others I think)...

Love You!
The Cowboy
TheCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 05:19 AM   #797
Toobig
Scramblen

Oddometer: 57
Clutch issues

My sons 2005 dr200se is having clutch issues. Let out clutch and little power. Like the clutch isn't releasing. Have tried every cable adjustment and no joy. This happened right after an oil change. Any help?
Old 10-22-2008, 06:17 AM   #798
CMS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
dr 200

Klay , will the 200 with gearing change, run 60 to 65 on the highway for commuting, say 60 mile round trip and other longer trips? The other threads seem to support that, but I dont know the crusing speeds others are doing from their trip reports.I'm just about ready to go the 200 route due to it lightness and just all around ,do it all bike. It will fit in my PU truck [Chev S-10] for really long distance trips, and although I love my DRZ400, its still a tad heavy on the trail, but the 200 's weight , great milage, price and simplicity seem to be making a lot of sense. I know you have two of them and seem to be very satisfied , even with the group of new 250s ava now from Yamaha and Kawaskai. You also seem to prefer to ride the 200 over your other 650s, would you buy another [Dr 200] or move on to one of the newer 250s? I've found a brand new 06 leftover for $3600. Just some random thoughts, you, Steve and the others in the great North of Ohio are the gurus of the DR200 and I appriciate your, and the others, knowledge and info. CMS
VSRI
CMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:53 AM   #799
kelly007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Are you using the same oil that was previously in the bike?
kelly007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:20 AM   #800
Toobig
Scramblen

Clutch

New oil cause no idea what previous owner used.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:49 AM   #801
planetmike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
What oil are you using? Change it again but use full synthetic this time. If that doesn't do it then you will have to remove the clutch plates and inspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toobig
My sons 2005 dr200se is having clutch issues. Let out clutch and little power. Like the clutch isn't releasing. Have tried every cable adjustment and no joy. This happened right after an oil change. Any help?
planetmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 08:50 AM   #802
planetmike
Gnarly Adventurer

Who does this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly007
Are you using the same oil that was previously in the bike?

planetmike screwed with this post 10-22-2008 at 11:25 AM
Old 10-22-2008, 08:59 AM   #803
Toobig
Scramblen

Thanks, got a bad feeling about this. The bike has been used by two people to learn on and by me to relearn after long time off motorcycles. Just the timing of it making me hope it's a easy fix, being right after oil change.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:14 AM   #804
mike1952
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,112
larger front sprocket

Where can I get a larger front sproket? I believe stock is a 15 I would like a 16 to make it less buzzy at higher speeds. Or do I have to go to a smaller rear?? I have found smaller fronts not bigger.
mike1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:21 AM   #805
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 96,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1952
Where can I get a larger front sproket? I believe stock is a 15 I would like a 16 to make it less buzzy at higher speeds. Or do I have to go to a smaller rear?? I have found smaller fronts not bigger.
See post #2, the information page. I think I got my bigger sprocket (later given to Ladybug) at Rebel.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:24 AM   #806
planetmike
Gnarly Adventurer

This condition is unusual for a 2005 bike. Older bikes or bikes that have sat around can develop clutch dragging because the steel plates themselves oxidize or are dirty. If this is the case, you can resurface the plates, but I would opt for a new clutch kit. Are you having trouble shifting? A dragging clutch over time can cause gear engagement problems. So it should be looked at.

Quote:
Thanks, got a bad feeling about this. The bike has been used by two people to learn on and by me to relearn after long time off motorcycles. Just the timing of it making me hope it's a easy fix, being right after oil change.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:30 AM   #807
Toobig
Scramblen

Clutch

My son rides it and is new to riding. So his descriptions of how it was behaving all sound normal. Like I said, this seemed to come out of no where.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:35 AM   #808
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMS
Klay , will the 200 with gearing change, run 60 to 65 on the highway for commuting, say 60 mile round trip and other longer trips? The other threads seem to support that, but I dont know the crusing speeds others are doing from their trip reports.I'm just about ready to go the 200 route due to it lightness and just all around ,do it all bike. It will fit in my PU truck [Chev S-10] for really long distance trips, and although I love my DRZ400, its still a tad heavy on the trail, but the 200 's weight , great milage, price and simplicity seem to be making a lot of sense. I know you have two of them and seem to be very satisfied , even with the group of new 250s ava now from Yamaha and Kawaskai. You also seem to prefer to ride the 200 over your other 650s, would you buy another [Dr 200] or move on to one of the newer 250s? I've found a brand new 06 leftover for $3600. Just some random thoughts, you, Steve and the others in the great North of Ohio are the gurus of the DR200 and I appriciate your, and the others, knowledge and info. CMS
My every-day ride is the 200. If I were to buy a bike to replace the DR200 today, it may be the XT250.

But the differences are small enough in my mind that I have no plans on ever replacing the 200, even if it were to wear out. I'd just rebuild it. The DR200 also has a big price advantage.

What is appropriate for you may depend on your weight. Some people find the DR200 to be perfectly suited as a touring bike if they are petite. I weigh 200 pounds. It's not practical for me to expect the 200 to maintain 60-65 mph into head winds and up hills while carrying a load.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:37 AM   #809
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
My son rides it and is new to riding. So his descriptions of how it was behaving all sound normal. Like I said, this seemed to come out of no where.
Is the clutch lever adjusted properly?

I switched to a synthetic oil at one point last year and shifting got notchy and stiff. Switching back to regular oil cured the problem.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:43 AM   #810
Toobig
Scramblen

Clutch

Clutch, lever and cable all good. I'm all out of ideas short of a real mechanic. Friend told me about a screw on some bikes to adjust clutch on right side but am at work and unable to check if dr has one.