Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2008, 08:47 AM   #826
planetmike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
I would also suggest that the rider's weight and perhaps butt shape makes a difference. My girlfriend has said a few times how she prefers the DR200's over her two previous bikes, a KLX650 and XT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve gs
Here's my my penny's worth.

I have found that when you sit upright your arse and back will eventually scream for relief regardless of the seat.

With a degree of forward lean counterbalanced by your legs you can get an almost weightless arm load and a greatly reduced load through the back down to your arse. Key ingredient here is your seat to peg height vs your inseam. When you have this right you should be able to be in position without loading the bars. Depending on your skeletal specifics, at a certain angle you begin to extend the load to the upper leg as well.

To evaluate ergos; I first try to set my legs at the proper angle and then see where my pelvic points end up (flat dual sport seats are superb for sorting this out, tiered NOT), then it's a matter of where my arms end up.

I just looked at a Wee Strom considering it as a replacement for my sold Dakar. Though it had a gel seat this seat wouldn't work for me. Again, a tiered "bucket" type of seat, YUK! Otherwise, the ergos could be adjusted to suit me.

Also, there is nothing worse than a mushy seat, you need a firm base of support for your pelvis. Women will have a tougher time here with some of the narrow DS seats because of their greater pelvic width.

planetmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 04:36 PM   #827
steve gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
We are all different. Sure weight and shape are factors but by working with firmness and width of saddle/seat they are just other variables.

For those of you that are road cyclists you have a full appreciation of saddle fit and overall bike fit. Motorcycles are no different. To vertically load the spine and arse expecting it to remain without issue for hours is your own call.

By looking at your entire fit you get a better distribution of the loads and less rider fatigue and discomfort. I prefer comfort. Combine that with the ability to move around/stretch out as I ride makes an all day ride just routine.

Yes Chris, I was thinking of yer Momma.

steve gs screwed with this post 10-25-2008 at 05:55 AM
steve gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 06:27 PM   #828
Toobig
Scramblen

Oddometer: 57
Clutch

What does shiny oil ( like silver powder ) mean? Changed oil 3 times and still has weird sheen. Bikes still running like clutch is half pulled.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:49 PM   #829
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toobig
What does shiny oil ( like silver powder ) mean? Changed oil 3 times and still has weird sheen. Bikes still running like clutch is half pulled.
You have metal in the oil, most likely aluminum if looks like silver powder. See if it sticks to a magnet. It sounds like something in the clutch is coming loose/apart and rubbing the crankcase or clutch cover. Could be cam bearing failure. At any rate nothing good. Don't run it until you find out what's wrong. The contaminated oil could cause other damage.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:58 PM   #830
KORACK
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
new member with pics of my DR200

KORACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:59 PM   #831
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,369
Sweet!
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 09:53 PM   #832
miniroot
running in: please pass

Oddometer: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinhilo
You have metal in the oil, most likely aluminum if looks like silver powder. See if it sticks to a magnet. It sounds like something in the clutch is coming loose/apart and rubbing the crankcase or clutch cover. Could be cam bearing failure. At any rate nothing good. Don't run it until you find out what's wrong. The contaminated oil could cause other damage.
Another alternative is that it's wearing the face of the clutch hub. Don't ask me how I know. Even after I'd flushed the flakes out, trying to bed a new set of plates on my galled hub produced a fair bit of silver paste.

I also had an old two-stroke that dropped a couple of clutch bolts on the highway (I'd just bought it, I was riding it home) and that started by slipping under load, but got noisy, *real* quick -- I got 15 minutes towards home, basically, and then spent two hours being driven home by the AA.

Like you say, pull it now and inspect it.
miniroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 07:07 PM   #833
Toobig
Scramblen

Oddometer: 57
Thanks

Thanks for help. I needed someone to tell me the bad news so I could work up the energy to bust it open and stop looking for a easy fix. Weather is almost gone for the year here and the boy don't like riding in the cold. I'll make this a winter project and ride my bike alone for the few remaining weeks left. He's 15 so he can help me and learn to work on his own bike. Thanks again and good riding!
Old 10-26-2008, 07:57 AM   #834
planetmike
Gnarly Adventurer

Eek

Wow, very serious. Sorry to hear this. Once you have the clutch out, I recommend you flush the engine with kerosene (messy I know) to tease out any other metal bits.

Let us know what you find.

If and when you resolve the clutch issue, you should check the compression and bearing surfaces where you can, i.e. cam, rocker arms, etc... Hopefully the filter caught most of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toobig
Thanks for help. I needed someone to tell me the bad news so I could work up the energy to bust it open and stop looking for a easy fix. Weather is almost gone for the year here and the boy don't like riding in the cold. I'll make this a winter project and ride my bike alone for the few remaining weeks left. He's 15 so he can help me and learn to work on his own bike. Thanks again and good riding!
Old 10-26-2008, 09:48 AM   #835
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,369
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=403
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 06:40 PM   #836
FlyingFinn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,047
What does it take?!

Ok guys (and gals), you really need to help me to get the best out of this little bike.
After a second round of carb cleaning and new needle valve and adjusting the fuel level the bike now runs fine. It starts, idles and wont bog when getting on gas.
But it feels really soft and gutless when accelerating.

Today I and my partner went riding to the local off-road park, me on my XChallenge and she on the DR. The DR ran fine but it really needs more "punch". There's no "umpf" when you hit the gas on second gear (stock gearing), I think these bikes can do better.

Have you guys shimmed the needle or something?
Bigger main jet?

What does it take to bring this thing to life, as it is it's too weak for tough trails.

--
Mikko
FlyingFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:38 AM   #837
planetmike
Gnarly Adventurer

First off, you need to manage your expectations. The DR200 is never going to wheelie with the carb and compression the way it is.

My girlfriend also rides the DR200;

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...229927&page=53

You can read what I've done to try and put its power in a usable low end to mid range area.

Outside of these changes you can get more power by spending serious money on a higher compression piston, pumper carb, and aftermarket exhaust.

The stumbling block here is the exhaust. I haven't seen an aftermarket set for this bike.

...and to get back on my soap box (sortaspeak) there is a good market for a performance oriented dualsport with a low seat height, but no manufacturer is listening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
Ok guys (and gals), you really need to help me to get the best out of this little bike.
After a second round of carb cleaning and new needle valve and adjusting the fuel level the bike now runs fine. It starts, idles and wont bog when getting on gas.
But it feels really soft and gutless when accelerating.

Today I and my partner went riding to the local off-road park, me on my XChallenge and she on the DR. The DR ran fine but it really needs more "punch". There's no "umpf" when you hit the gas on second gear (stock gearing), I think these bikes can do better.

Have you guys shimmed the needle or something?
Bigger main jet?

What does it take to bring this thing to life, as it is it's too weak for tough trails.

--
Mikko

planetmike screwed with this post 10-28-2008 at 09:52 AM
Old 10-29-2008, 04:36 PM   #838
orange99z28
n00b

Oddometer: 5
i agree we need some aftermaket support, i mean really how much would it cost to machine some cool parts for us? not nearly as much as the profit they'd make!

i do beg to differ on the wheelies tough, i can pop it up in first and pull off some pretty decent wheelies. its all about hittin the gas at the right time...and having the balls to lean back at the same time. lol
orange99z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:54 PM   #839
green hell
yawning or snarling

Oddometer: 19,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
Bigger main jet?

Mikko
the kientech carb kit is the way.

it won't make yer dr200 some bad-ass wheelie machine, but will improve throttle response substantially and give it a little more moxie when you need it.

i don't have the exhaust mod...

needless dickery
green hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:38 AM   #840
planetmike
Gnarly Adventurer

Well, when I say "wheelie" I mean the type when you blip the throttle and the front end comes up regardless of what you try to do to keep the nose down short of tapping the back brake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange99z28
i agree we need some aftermaket support, i mean really how much would it cost to machine some cool parts for us? not nearly as much as the profit they'd make!

i do beg to differ on the wheelies tough, i can pop it up in first and pull off some pretty decent wheelies. its all about hittin the gas at the right time...and having the balls to lean back at the same time. lol