Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2007, 06:28 AM   #1
JesperXT OP
XT 550 Rider!

Oddometer: 72
Question Rebuilding a Yamaha IT 465 1981 rear shock...

Hi guys...
Just received this in mail today...

...and thought that I might as well get it rebuild before replacing the one I've got atm.
The seller on ebay said is was in fine condition and I don't see any leaks. Called up two places in Denmark that rebuilds shocks and got two very different replys:

1st place:
Can't be done - Early eighties Yamahashocks can't be reassembled. Then he said something about how the chrome looked, but there isn't any (Or it's COMPLETELY worn away...) Said I could bring it by him though, and he'd have a look at it. Very friendly guy

2nd place:
Seemed quite rude on the phone. Said: "Sure, send it to me with your name and adress".

Had to explain to both places that the IT is kind of an enduro/trials version of the YZ. I actually don't think the IT was sold in Europe? At least not in Denmark.

Do anyone in here know anything about this shock? Should I just stick it on the bike and see what happens? Should I send it to the second guy and see if it comes back in pieces, because he can't reassemble it? Any advice is greatly appreciated...

Best regards
Jesper
JesperXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 08:01 AM   #2
El Hombre
Banned

Oddometer: 1,536
Can you see what the top of the shock tube looks like? Is there a cap with flats or holes for a pin wrench?

Is it welded? Probably no go.

You might check Ron Ayers or Bikebandit sites and pull the parts diagram for the shock and see what's there. I would do that for you, but you should learn how.
El Hombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 08:14 AM   #3
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
First thing I would do is throw it on the bike and see how it works,, if well then button it up AND ride. Otherwise presue a rebuild.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:37 AM   #4
JesperXT OP
XT 550 Rider!

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Hombre
Can you see what the top of the shock tube looks like? Is there a cap with flats or holes for a pin wrench?

Is it welded? Probably no go.

You might check Ron Ayers or Bikebandit sites and pull the parts diagram for the shock and see what's there. I would do that for you, but you should learn how.
Can't see the top end. I presume it's the end that would sit roughly in the middle under the spring? It's covered in a plastictube.

Couldn't find anything on Ron Ayers or BikeBandit. Found a manual on ebay. 9 $ for a pdf download. That's what I paid for the shock in the first place

I just noticed that the reservoir is badly scratched. REALLY deep scrathes near the top edges.
But I think I'll just mount it and see if it works...
Old 05-16-2007, 09:20 AM   #5
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesperXT
I just noticed that the reservoir is badly scratched. REALLY deep scrathes near the top edges.
But I think I'll just mount it and see if it works...
The reservoir on all those bikes got scratched, since it was mounted on the frame downtube. Mine never missed a tree branch!
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 09:33 AM   #6
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Can you remove the spring?
If you can, do so. Then you are able to compress and decompress the shock and see if there's still any damping in effect.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 09:35 AM   #7
manxkipper
Fishpistel

Oddometer: 355
In my 1981 IT465 genuine Yamaha manual there is an exploded view of the innards of the shock so I expect it may be able to be rebuilt. Any good shock builder would be able to tell you immediately.
manxkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 08:14 AM   #8
El Hombre
Banned

Oddometer: 1,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by manxkipper
In my 1981 IT465 genuine Yamaha manual there is an exploded view of the innards of the shock so I expect it may be able to be rebuilt. Any good shock builder would be able to tell you immediately.
I think we have a winner. They won't show parts you can't buy. Most of the time.
El Hombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 12:36 PM   #9
JesperXT OP
XT 550 Rider!

Alrighty then... I'll drop by a shock-rebuilder on monday and hear what he says.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:26 PM   #10
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesperXT
Hi guys...
Just received this in mail today...

...and thought that I might as well get it rebuild before replacing the one I've got atm.
The seller on ebay said is was in fine condition and I don't see any leaks. Called up two places in Denmark that rebuilds shocks and got two very different replys:

1st place:
Can't be done - Early eighties Yamahashocks can't be reassembled. Then he said something about how the chrome looked, but there isn't any (Or it's COMPLETELY worn away...) Said I could bring it by him though, and he'd have a look at it. Very friendly guy

2nd place:
Seemed quite rude on the phone. Said: "Sure, send it to me with your name and adress".

Had to explain to both places that the IT is kind of an enduro/trials version of the YZ. I actually don't think the IT was sold in Europe? At least not in Denmark.

Do anyone in here know anything about this shock? Should I just stick it on the bike and see what happens? Should I send it to the second guy and see if it comes back in pieces, because he can't reassemble it? Any advice is greatly appreciated...

Best regards
Jesper
Do you need a spare? I have one just like it off a YZ465 about the same vintage. I was going to try and use it on an old TT250 I have but got a like new part instead that actually fit.
Let me know I'll sell it cheap.
BTW mines adjustable if yours isn't,
Terry

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote