Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2014, 04:46 PM   #1
horacemtb OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Help! 2008 KLR650 stumbles and dies with throttle

Hi, everyone!

I've got an issue with my klr Here is a small preface. I'm planning on a big trip soon so I decided to change the oil and oil filter today and also clean the air filter. My bike had been running greatly before that. After changing the oil and oil filter and cleaning the air filter I started the bike as usual and it was fine running at idle. But as I opened the throttle the engine started to stumble and then died. It just wouldn't run with the throttle opened and it made no difference whether my klr was in neutral or not.

So I messed something up. First it occured to me I must have overfilled it with oil (though I did everything according to the manual) and I drained a little bit of it. And the bike ran with no problems! I took it for a 50 mile ride, then got home, and just as I was parking it in the garage it started to do the same thing. It runs at idle but as I open the throttle the engine stumbles and dies.

P.S. I use a K&N air filter. I cleaned it with soap and water, sprayed some filter oil on it and put it back into the bike. But I think I might have used too much filter oil and the air filter might be clogged.. Is it possible?

I would appreciate your help...
horacemtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:02 PM   #2
wavygravy87
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Man, I dont know you may have done. First off, check your oil. I'm pretty sure that has nothing to do with it, but if its in the right range, its good. If you put an extra quart in, worst case is it will pump some into the airbox. Which you would see right away if you peeped down in there.

Sounds to me like your main jet has a piece of trash in it. Or maybe the slide has got too much sticky air filter oil on it and is sticking? Make sure the vent tubes running to the carb aren't pinched too. Never worked on a new gen KLR, but if it has a slide vent and it gets pinched it could cause problems.

You didn't remove a side cover, lid, or snorkel to the airbox did you? You let the filter dry completely after you washed it, right?

Keep me posted, and if you are in North AL swing by my place and we will fix her up
Old Yesterday, 04:03 AM   #3
horacemtb OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavygravy87 View Post
Man, I dont know you may have done. First off, check your oil. I'm pretty sure that has nothing to do with it, but if its in the right range, its good. If you put an extra quart in, worst case is it will pump some into the airbox. Which you would see right away if you peeped down in there.

Sounds to me like your main jet has a piece of trash in it. Or maybe the slide has got too much sticky air filter oil on it and is sticking? Make sure the vent tubes running to the carb aren't pinched too. Never worked on a new gen KLR, but if it has a slide vent and it gets pinched it could cause problems.

You didn't remove a side cover, lid, or snorkel to the airbox did you? You let the filter dry completely after you washed it, right?

Keep me posted, and if you are in North AL swing by my place and we will fix her up
Thanks for the feedback, wavygravy87!

Here is an update. I know it sounds mystic but I just took my bike for a short ride round the parking lot and it seems to be running fine!

As for your questions, I didn't mess around with the airbox. I just took the air filter out, washed it with soap and water, then let it rest in the sun for about 20 minutes (not sure I let it dry completely though!), sprayed it with filter oil thoroughly covering both the outer and the inner sides.

Anyway I'm planning to take the bike for a few test rides before the trip and see what happens.

And thanks for the invitation! I would gladly swing by if didn't live so far away
Old Yesterday, 05:03 AM   #4
Chad05gsa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
I'm just going to throw out that imo, the filter should dry longer than 20 minutes. you should grab a second filter and keep it in a plastic zip lock baggie ready to install, and just roatat when changing out.
Chad05gsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:24 AM   #5
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,522
Dont overfill oil. Depending upon how much, serious damage can occur, the worst hydraulic lock with the piston. A few ounces over are not an issue.

Any excess oil in a filter will be pulled through and used in the motor within a mile or two. Just how much excess oil on the filter? Take the filter off and run the bike around the block and see if it has an issue. As a poster above has suggested, you may have gotten oil on the slide?

Any chance you may have the enricher/'choke' lever a little on? How tight is it in the side of the carb?
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:56 AM   #6
horacemtb OP
n00b

Thanks for your replies, everyone!

Here's another update.

I just took my bike for another 30-mile ride round the town and it ran like hell! I rode it for almost 2 hours, reved it up to the red zone in each gear... no problem! It had plenty of power (more than before) and everything seemed fine.

I have no idea what the hell happened to it last night, maybe it got jealous of me and my girlfriend riding it all day long, I don't know.

So I'll probably let it be for the time being until there's another issue at least. Don't want to screw it up again.

Chad05gsa, you may be right, I believe there may have been some water left on the air filter. I should probably have let it dry in the sun for a couple of hours at least. And yes, I'll grab another air filter.

Tsotsie, the engine oil level is within spec, it's at the upper line of the oil window.
As the bike ran fine twice today I decided not to do anything with the air filter anymore.

And what is the slide and where is it located? I mean is it possible to check it without tearing down half the motorcycle?

The choke lever is ok, it's tight in the side of the carb.
Old Yesterday, 10:07 AM   #7
redneckdan
Hold my beer & watch this

Oddometer: 573
Probably over oiled or was still wet.

I usually let the filter dry over night then oil it and let it sit a few hours. Any extra oil runs off. Still runs a little rough for the first few minutes then clears up. I'd rather have a little much than not enough oil on the filter.
Old Yesterday, 11:27 AM   #8
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

[QUOTE=horacemtb;24584957]
And what is the slide and where is it located? I mean is it possible to check it without tearing down half the motorcycle?

QUOTE]

Part 342 here. http://www.twowheelsforever.com/how-...c_diagram.html
Old Yesterday, 02:44 PM   #9
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,726
Quote:
I mean is it possible to check it without tearing down half the motorcycle?
Yes, although I don't think it necessary in your case, at this time.

You can loosen the hose clamp connecting the carburetor to the big rubber hose, and rotate the carburetor so you have access to the four machine screws (144) holding the mixing chamber cover (78). Remove the cover, and the parts come right out as shown in the fiche accessible from the link posted by Tsotsie above.

Pay attention to the positions of the parts for future reassembly! It's easy to get 'em out of sequence.
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:01 AM   #10
horacemtb OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckdan View Post
Probably over oiled or was still wet.

I usually let the filter dry over night then oil it and let it sit a few hours. Any extra oil runs off. Still runs a little rough for the first few minutes then clears up. I'd rather have a little much than not enough oil on the filter.
Yeah, it makes sense. I just hope no water or filter oil made its way into the carb this time. Wouldn't want to get stuck in another country in the middle of nowhere. I'll have to be careful next time.
Old Today, 07:03 AM   #11
horacemtb OP
n00b

Thanks for the info, Tsotsie and XDragRacer, it's really helpful. I'll give it a try if I have any further issues.
Old Today, 08:41 AM   #12
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by horacemtb View Post
Thanks for the info, Tsotsie and XDragRacer, it's really helpful. I'll give it a try if I have any further issues.
If you are concerend about water getting into the carb, there is a small drain at the bottom of the float chamber on the right side of the carb. I think 1.5mm allen - loosen that to drain the float chamber. Try to collect (small plastic pipe) the drained gas to see if there is water and dirt in there.
Old Today, 08:54 AM   #13
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
If you are concerend about water getting into the carb, there is a small drain at the bottom of the float chamber on the right side of the carb. I think 1.5mm allen - loosen that to drain the float chamber. Try to collect (small plastic pipe) the drained gas to see if there is water and dirt in there.
That makes sense for a submerged bike, but any moisture in the filter would have been pulled into the cylinder during the first few minutes of his ride, not migrated down into the float bowl.

OP- On a K&N, there is no reason to oil the inside of the filter. The oil is to trap dirt, which will be on the outside. It is colored red so you can easily see where you have sprayed it on the K&N (which should be off-white once degreased and rinsed properly). Just a light coating of oil all over the outside will be sufficient.

I used to dry mine after washing with the help of a hair dryer. I hang the UNI filter to dry.
Old Today, 03:44 PM   #14
horacemtb OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog View Post
OP- On a K&N, there is no reason to oil the inside of the filter. The oil is to trap dirt, which will be on the outside. It is colored red so you can easily see where you have sprayed it on the K&N (which should be off-white once degreased and rinsed properly). Just a light coating of oil all over the outside will be sufficient.

I used to dry mine after washing with the help of a hair dryer. I hang the UNI filter to dry.
Thanks, man, I'll keep that in mind.

Quote:
but any moisture in the filter would have been pulled into the cylinder during the first few minutes of his ride
Is it something I should worry about now?

And here's another question. Sorry if it's off topic, but speaking of a submerged motorcycle, what should I do if I've drowned my bike really deep (I haven't done it yet)? Do I just drain the float bowl? Anything else?
Old Today, 04:50 PM   #15
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Quote:
That makes sense for a submerged bike, but any moisture in the filter would have been pulled into the cylinder during the first few minutes of his ride, not migrated down into the float bowl.

Step back for a minute. Ethanol gas we get some contains water. Some gas stations are not that clean and have water issues in their tanks. Before starting, if there had been an excess of water in the filter, it could have drained down and settled in the lowest part of the carb- the float chamber before the motor was started. So, if there is the possibility of water in the carb, from this excercise or in general, drain the float chamber.

Yes, some moisture in the filter will be drawn directly into motor without any effect.