Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2007, 08:00 AM   #136
Helmet_Hair
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matttys
Yeah, I've thought about that, but at this point I would rather spend my one or two days a month riding rather than checking valves. That sounds like a project for Turkey Day weekend!
Meh, it's a 1 hour job tops. Seat off, tank off, valve covers off, pop open the inspection cover and the little flywheel cover, set it to TDCC (important to find it correctly....go 'round till you do) pull out your .1mm feeler gauge and check away. Slap it all back together and ride with peace of mind.
Helmet_Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 10:53 AM   #137
Matttys
Matt the Balloon Guy

Oddometer: 436
True. I'm no slouch for checking my valves . . . maybe on Sunday. For some reason I always find that a 1 hour job turn into a 4 day job because I end up replacing things that look worn or making performance mods
Old 10-17-2007, 01:05 PM   #138
Matttys
Matt the Balloon Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmet_Hair
Hmm. You've already got a good carby on there. I found if my intake valves are just a little tight, it can cause some hard starting too. Wonder if that's why it's easier to start if you let it sit for a few minutes. Just thinking out loud.
Just checked mine and all the valves were just a hair loose. Now they are right in the middle of spec. With a new filter, synthetic oil and a clean K&N filter hopefully the problem solves itself. If not, I may just have to be more patient
Old 10-17-2007, 06:43 PM   #139
Helmet_Hair
Gnarly Adventurer

Let's hope it helps.

The DR rules...Free bump to the first page.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:55 AM   #140
Torky
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Joining the 'club'...

Well, I just picked up a 1990 DR350s a couple of days ago, and now found this thread; so I'm joining in.
It's stock aside from the Muzzy Exhaust. 3400 miles. Licenced, with current tags, and clean title.
Seller wanted $1600, we settled on $1450. Decent price?
So far I haven't been able to find any problems with it, other than the missing tool box/kit. It's very clean, original looking. Tires appear to be original as well!
I'd throw up a photo is someone was kind enough to walk me through the process.
I'm not planning on any sort of huge list of mods. Just a few things here and there. I'm thinking new grips (the current ones are awful), tires, and a larger tank down the road. Any suggestions on DS tires or grips for this bike are appreciated!
BTW, I'm pretty much a total noob to motorcycles. I rode the bike across town yesterday to get to work, and it was the first time I'd ever ridden more than just around the block!
Torky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 11:03 AM   #141
johnnyandjebus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
Kenda makes a good tire for the money, my DR350 came with the 760's(a street legal fully knobby tire) and I have since replaced them with the Kenda 270, more of a true dual sport tire. These tires are not the best quality but they do work well as a good budget tire.
The bike is, imho, a great first bike, fine on the street and great in the dirt. As time goes by you may consider doing the airbox mod and re-jet the carb. It will give the bike more pep/pull.
If you haven't looked at it yet go to http://www.kientech.com/
a great site for DR parts.

As far as posting an image, you need to first post the image on a image hosting site i.e photobucket.com. Once you have done that you will notice that the photo has a url related/assigned to it. On this site click on the insert image icon and add the url. This will point your posting to the photo on photobucket

John

johnnyandjebus screwed with this post 10-19-2007 at 11:08 AM
johnnyandjebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 11:55 AM   #142
getmedirty
Mr Magoo

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torky
Well, I just picked up a 1990 DR350s a couple of days ago,
BTW, I'm pretty much a total noob to motorcycles. I rode the bike across town yesterday to get to work, and it was the first time I'd ever ridden more than just around the block!

Hey Welcome to the asylum....

The DR350 is a great bike you'll have fun. Tires will depend on what type of riding you do. I run MT21's by pirelli, I ride 60% trail/dirt.

Spend some money on gear, get good boots, helmit, jacket and pants. If you are doing a lot of off road riding, invest in a good chest protector and knee/shin pads

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream."

-Samuel Langhorne Clemens
getmedirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 02:20 PM   #143
Matttys
Matt the Balloon Guy

I had the K270s on my 650 and found them to be very square. When you turn you would hit the edge of the tire and bike would literally fall into the turn. I'm running MT21s now and am happy with them. If you are looking for more road tires I would get the TKC80s, more dirt then just pick a motocross tire. I'm going with some of the recommendations made a page or two ago.

The price sounds far. I got my 1990 with 2700 miles for $1750 but it had a pumper carb, new springs front/rear, Jesse air box, Big Gun pipe, new bars, battery eliminator, K&N, fork brace, etc.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:36 PM   #144
Torky
n00b

Oddometer: 8
bit of a shake-down run...

Well, I did about 70 miles today on the new (to me) DR350, mostly off-pavement. Headed out south-east of Bend into BLM land that is thinly forested and currently a bit muddy.
Like I mentioned earlier, I am very new to riding a bike with an engine. All things considered, the little solo trip went well. I didn't feel really solid on the gravel roads when the gravel was deeper and loose, but when the roads were packed dirt, I felt good. I also tried some of the smaller off-shoot roads that are really just small, muddy 2-tracks through the woods that lead to various buttes and such. On one road, I came to a huge puddle, and idiotically tried to ride across the puddle in the very middle, on the submerged high ridge between the two ruts. Of course, the rear tire almost instantly slid down the slippery clayey mud and into the right-side rut. We go down; or rather the DR goes down and I just kind of fall into the puddle.
I walk the DR out of the puddle and spend the next 10 minutes (at least) kicking the holy hell out of that bike, finally meeting with success.
Being a bit stubborn on occaision, I continue on my ride, despite being soaking wet and cold. 30 miles later, finally getting back home, I can't feel my fingers and my kneecaps are numb from the wet jeans and wind-chill factor.
Oddly enough, when I warm up and change clothes, I still decide to ride to school and then work later on. Bike seems to be running OK, but each time I stop, I have to wear out my leg kicking it over before she finally fires up. Maybe I have to do some sort of cleaning of carb/air filter after putting the bike down on the air-filter side in a huge puddle?
At any rate, I'm definately feeling that these IRC GP-1 tires have to go in lieu of something a bit more aggressive.
Torky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 11:49 PM   #145
leonphelps OP
TAT/Prudhoe Bay

Oddometer: 1,049
Adjust your valves, look in the DR350 thread for how to info. It should start easier once you do this.
leonphelps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 11:54 AM   #146
Helmet_Hair
Gnarly Adventurer

Torky, you got a nice price on the bike for this region. Sounds like you've been smitten with the bike...sure is great to be able to ride anywhere you want, eh?

As far as starting the bike goes, a couple of things could have happened on your little spill. Most likely, with all the kicking, choke-on-off antics, your plug may be a little fouled. Clean it or replace it, see if that helps. You may also benefit from cleaning the air filter out. Most of the time, after a good stint offroad it's a good idea to clean it properly. Go down to your local shop and get a proper cleaner and oil (PJ1 makes some good stuff), pull 'er out and clean 'er up. See if this combo helps a bit.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:02 PM   #147
Hondarider
Hero of the Stupid

Oddometer: 628
I've got a mint 99 DR350SE with 2500 road miles on it just languishing in my garage. No time to ride it since I bought my GS. Anybody looking to buy one?
Attached Images

Hondarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 09:52 PM   #148
Matttys
Matt the Balloon Guy

Just got those $25 footpegs off ebay today and installed them in 10 minutes. So of course I had to go test them out at the local construction site. Got there, rode around a bit, stood up, sat down, all working great. Went to leave, jumped off a 20" ledge and the bike nearly stopped instantly Bike is running fine, but it won't budge. I turn the engine off, bounce the suspension and every thing looks fine. After getting off the bike I see the SRC fork brace has bent and the front tire nobbies were nearly all chewed off by the bent brace No real harm done, but man, that was weird. I can't understand how the forks flexed that much to bend the brace. I straightened the beefy aluminum piece back out and it works fine now . . . just have to get a new front tire. Glad that didn't happen on the trail!

On the starting front I think I have the problem solved. Talked to Jesse and he informed me that I don't know how to start my bike. I'm used to firing my other bikes with throttle and the magic button. Since I have the pumper carb I should just kick the bike with no throttle. Starts on the first or second kick when cold and on the first kick when hot. I've just been flooding it by pumping the pumper carb . . . doh!
Old 10-20-2007, 09:54 PM   #149
Matttys
Matt the Balloon Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torky
Bike seems to be running OK, but each time I stop, I have to wear out my leg kicking it over before she finally fires up.
See my post above. I was doing it mostly wrong . . .
Old 10-20-2007, 10:03 PM   #150
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matttys
Just got those $25 footpegs off ebay today and installed them in 10 minutes. So of course I had to go test them out at the local construction site. Got there, rode around a bit, stood up, sat down, all working great. Went to leave, jumped off a 20" ledge and the bike nearly stopped instantly Bike is running fine, but it won't budge. I turn the engine off, bounce the suspension and every thing looks fine. After getting off the bike I see the SRC fork brace has bent and the front tire nobbies were nearly all chewed off by the bent brace No real harm done, but man, that was weird. I can't understand how the forks flexed that much to bend the brace. I straightened the beefy aluminum piece back out and it works fine now . . . just have to get a new front tire. Glad that didn't happen on the trail!
How far do the fork tubes stick out of the upper tripple clamp? Have you modded the fender for clearnce for the brace and checked that the brace doesn't hit anything when the forks are fully compressed?

good luck

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote