Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 07:00 PM   #15301
haggeo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 846
after not having a bike for a solid 3 yrs i decided to buy this one spur of the moment today. it has been bored to 435 and has a pumper carb. the supertrapp exhaust has seen better days but it runs really well for a 19 yr old bike, 8000 miles on the clock.

Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof." John Kenneth Galbraith

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. Marcus Aurelius

haggeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:53 PM   #15302
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggeo View Post
after not having a bike for a solid 3 yrs i decided to buy this one spur of the moment today. it has been bored to 435 and has a pumper carb. the supertrapp exhaust has seen better days but it runs really well for a 19 yr old bike, 8000 miles on the clock.

Nice find. It looks really clean, and it has some nice parts on it. Those airboxes are definitely hard to find. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few other hidden goodies on that bike.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:18 PM   #15303
redleger
Horrible Mechanic

Oddometer: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloMo228 View Post
Nice find. It looks really clean, and it has some nice parts on it. Those airboxes are definitely hard to find. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few other hidden goodies on that bike.
Basic same story for me. when I bought mine, I started diggin in, found it was bored to 440, pumper carb, FMF exhaust and it runs like a damn dream. Your bike was obviously well taken care of, and looks great. Enjoy it! I feel that the DR350 may be the most timeless enduro(dual sport) there is on the road/trail right now.

Keep us updated on mods and fixes, or any more goodies you find.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:18 PM   #15304
haggeo
Studly Adventurer

i had a good feeling about this bike the instant i saw it on craigslist. the guy i bought it from lives 1hr 20 min away but i knew i was going to buy this bike anyway. the one little thing i want to clean up is the breather tube coming out of the crankcase is a bit oily. is it a matter of replacing the filter at the end of the tube or is there some other way? the PO mentioned something about a replacement but i forgot to ask in detail about it before leaving.

Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof." John Kenneth Galbraith

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. Marcus Aurelius

Old 04-01-2013, 10:49 PM   #15305
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,436
Messing with my clutch. Meed to replace my thrust washers. Almost down to the final part. HOw does one remove the spacer that is on top of the lower thrust washer.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:56 PM   #15306
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
i had a good feeling about this bike the instant i saw it on craigslist. the guy i bought it from lives 1hr 20 min away but i knew i was going to buy this bike anyway. the one little thing i want to clean up is the breather tube coming out of the crankcase is a bit oily. is it a matter of replacing the filter at the end of the tube or is there some other way? the PO mentioned something about a replacement but i forgot to ask in detail about it before leaving.
Mind me asking where did you get the bike and how much did you pay.
I believe the breather goes back to the airbox. The vortex might not have a nub for it. Racer dudes always think that venting back to the intake robs power so they just vent it to the atmosphere. Crankcase vent will always be oily. Tied back to the airbox is really the oil way to keep things clean.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:08 AM   #15307
thump!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 865
Quote:
The photo show your bike has a non-standard airbox. The standard DR crankcase vents into the airbox but yours is likely different.
thump! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:05 AM   #15308
DisTech
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 616

Vortex crankcase breather connection is same location as stock airbox.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:15 AM   #15309
jakeybob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
I've been lookingaround and haven't really been able to find much definitive info. I know DRZ400 are well known for having auto cam chain tensioner problems, but how about the DR350?

Also, about how many miles do people see out of the stock cam chain tensioner? My 94 has 4500 miles and I'm planning on riding it on a 5-6k mile trip, just wondering if it is something I should consider replacing.

Thanks
jakeybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:52 AM   #15310
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeybob View Post
I've been lookingaround and haven't really been able to find much definitive info. I know DRZ400 are well known for having auto cam chain tensioner problems, but how about the DR350?

Also, about how many miles do people see out of the stock cam chain tensioner? My 94 has 4500 miles and I'm planning on riding it on a 5-6k mile trip, just wondering if it is something I should consider replacing.

Thanks
The tensioner itself does not get much attention as a potential failure point on the 350. Camchains may wear out over time but unlikely within the mileage you report. You may have work to do in preparation for the trip but the camchain tensioner should not be part of it unless there is some evidence of a problem.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:35 PM   #15311
haggeo
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
Mind me asking where did you get the bike and how much did you pay.
I believe the breather goes back to the airbox. The vortex might not have a nub for it. Racer dudes always think that venting back to the intake robs power so they just vent it to the atmosphere. Crankcase vent will always be oily. Tied back to the airbox is really the oil way to keep things clean.
$1400 in Keyes (not kilos). i've seen these bikes for cheaper but always in the midwest or back east and i've been looking for a long time. this one is pretty clean, low miles and some valuable upgrades. i could buy a modern bike but right now i don't ride enough to justify having $5-8000 sitting in my garage. my airbox does have that little nub but i can't remember if it has a hose going into it, i think it doesn't.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:46 PM   #15312
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
$1400 in Keyes (not kilos). i've seen these bikes for cheaper but always in the midwest or back east and i've been looking for a long time. this one is pretty clean, low miles and some valuable upgrades. i could buy a modern bike but right now i don't ride enough to justify having $5-8000 sitting in my garage. my airbox does have that little nub but i can't remember if it has a hose going into it, i think it doesn't.
Been living in Cali my whole life and had to look up Keyes. Right between Modesto and Turlock. $1400 with those add ons is one heck of a deal. Funny in Oakland that bike would sell for over $2K.

Since you said you have not had a bike in three year, I am guess those are not your pictures. And that is not your other bike parked in the garage.

From the pics the nub on the vortex airbox apears to be capped off. I think that is for the vent which distech referes to.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:14 PM   #15313
haggeo
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
Been living in Cali my whole life and had to look up Keyes. Right between Modesto and Turlock. $1400 with those add ons is one heck of a deal. Funny in Oakland that bike would sell for over $2K.

Since you said you have not had a bike in three year, I am guess those are not your pictures. And that is not your other bike parked in the garage.

From the pics the nub on the vortex airbox apears to be capped off. I think that is for the vent which distech referes to.
those are my pictures, the bike in the background is a 1975 CB750K that i'm very slowly rebuilding. bought it as a roller for $300 4 yrs ago then my children were born.....

Old 04-03-2013, 08:04 AM   #15314
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,342
Been out riding my DR, commuted to work on it this morning and I have to say this motorcycle is a blast to ride. I've been riding for ten years now but I've always had street bikes. This is my first dual sport and the lightness of this bike compared to my previous bikes (and especially the Goldwings) is amazing. I know it's heavy compared to modern bikes but for me, it feels like I'm riding a bicycle. So much fun to toss it around, and the suspension is much better at dealing with Detroit pavement. I think I found a winner here!
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:01 AM   #15315
haggeo
Studly Adventurer

anybody have a link to aftermarket plastics? most of the places i've found ignore the DR350 for some reason.