Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 09:40 AM   #15316
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloMo228 View Post
Been out riding my DR, commuted to work on it this morning and I have to say this motorcycle is a blast to ride. I've been riding for ten years now but I've always had street bikes. This is my first dual sport and the lightness of this bike compared to my previous bikes (and especially the Goldwings) is amazing. I know it's heavy compared to modern bikes but for me, it feels like I'm riding a bicycle. So much fun to toss it around, and the suspension is much better at dealing with Detroit pavement. I think I found a winner here!
Glad you're enjoying it.
Actually, it's not heavy compared to modern bikes. Every now and then I think about selling mine for something newer or more modern, but I have yet to find anything lighter than the DR350 that is any better at everything the DR350 does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggeo View Post
anybody have a link to aftermarket plastics? most of the places i've found ignore the DR350 for some reason.
Because they stopped making them 14 years ago. Try Procycle, Keintech or someplace like Kevin's - they'll have some stuff that will fit (sort of).
A Few Days Solo in Baja

kobukan screwed with this post 04-03-2013 at 11:56 AM
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:16 AM   #15317
Ferdinand
Ride The Wind ForeverFree

Oddometer: 290
Dirtbagz and passenger pegs

Can you run passenger pegs with dirtbagz brackets on a dr350 I believe I was told you can't but wanted to know if anyone has found a way I don't have the bike yet or the brackets I was just wondering I can get them on my crf230l using longer bolts with no issues. thanks
Ferdinand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:43 AM   #15318
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobukan View Post
Glad you're enjoying it.
Actually, it's not heavy compared to modern bikes. Every now and then I think about selling mine for something newr or more modern, but I have yet to find anything lighter than the DR350 that is any better at everything the DR350 does.

Because they stopped making them 14 years ago. Try Procycle, Keintech or someplace like Kevin's - they'll have some stuff that will fit (sort of).
I actually was able to get new reproduction side panels just a couple weeks ago from an eBay seller in Argentina, but I can no longer find them on eBay. They aren't perfect copies of OEM panels but they fit with little work.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:14 PM   #15319
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,548
Quote:
anybody have a link to aftermarket plastics? most of the places i've found ignore the DR350 for some reason.
What exactly are you looking for.

Only thing I know of are front fenders, and side panels
Old 04-03-2013, 12:28 PM   #15320
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloMo228 View Post
I actually was able to get new reproduction side panels just a couple weeks ago from an eBay seller in Argentina, but I can no longer find them on eBay. They aren't perfect copies of OEM panels but they fit with little work.
This is the Argentina ones:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SIDE-COVERS-...#ht_349wt_1159

OEM:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-White-Si...ht_2318wt_1159

Maier makes some side planels which I think are the Argentina ones but I can not find them right now.

Mair rear fender:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-MX-Re...#ht_193wt_1397

UFO front fender:
http://www.kientech.com/UFOFrontFender.htm

I think most dirt bike front fenders that attach with four bolts will work.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:42 PM   #15321
Teeeeeemu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Carb

So Im currently taking apart and cleaning my TM33 because the bike wanted to die while slowing down and holding the clutch in. Also starts better without choke, unlike last summer. Plus starting isnt exactly 1-2 kicks...

So I'll take the damn thing apart, clean everything and check the jet sizes. ATM I got the top cover off... Is it bad if the slide moves slightly when I poke it from the intake side? Is this the infamous worn slide? :(
E. Correcting myself, its a single part. Moves slightly, under 1mm.

Update 1: Main jet seems to be 140, which I'm guessing is good for cut airbox and some loud slip-on?

Instructions are appreciated too, now Im just learning by doing

Teeeeeemu screwed with this post 04-03-2013 at 02:16 PM Reason: Added stuff
Teeeeeemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:07 PM   #15322
wyostrom
Better be ready

Oddometer: 31
Need some insight - DR350 - DRZ400

I could use some insight or opinions. The other day, after another carb flooding issue with my 1995 DR350( It seems that the petcock just isn't right - floods all over everything if I put it on prime even for just a minute) some swearing etc, my wife suggested buying a new bike. Would I be that much happier with a DRZ400 over my 350? I realize that new bikes are just nice and money isn't really that much of an issue in the decision but it is a lot if it isn't all that much better a bike. I do most of my ADV touring on my 06 Vstrom(Dl650) but like the 350 for riding in the dirt and when my wife and I load the bikes in the truck and go somewhere. One other question, the local dealer has a DR650 but it doesn't seem all that much lighter than my vstrom.
Thanks for any thoughts, Don
"Having an adventure shows that someone is incompetent, that something has gone wrong. An adventure is interesting enough in retrospect, especially to the person who didn't have it; at the time it happens it usually constitutes an exceedingly disagreeable experience."

"Life is a limited time offer... Live deliberately. Ride often."

K6 DL650 VStrom
'95 DR350
'72 Norton Commando
'59 Triumph TR6
wyostrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:09 PM   #15323
Anonawesome
Scenic Rider

Oddometer: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeeeeemu View Post
So Im currently taking apart and cleaning my TM33 because the bike wanted to die while slowing down and holding the clutch in. Also starts better without choke, unlike last summer. Plus starting isnt exactly 1-2 kicks...

So I'll take the damn thing apart, clean everything and check the jet sizes. ATM I got the top cover off... Is it bad if the slide moves slightly when I poke it from the intake side? Is this the infamous worn slide? :(

Update 1: Main jet seems to be 140, which I'm guessing is good for cut airbox and some loud slip-on?

Instructions are appreciated too, now Im just learning by doing
My brand new tm33 has some play in the slide. I would think the only way to tell would be pull it out and look for visual wear. Again, my brand new tm33 has clearly visible wear on the slide so I would think it would have to be really severe. Also, don't let anyone here tell you that a worn slide means you have to buy a new carb. You can just buy a new slide. Not sure why everyone here thinks you can't......
Anonawesome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #15324
haggeo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
What exactly are you looking for.

Only thing I know of are front fenders, and side panels
i want the side panels in plain white, no stickers. i can probably get the stickers off easy enough i just have not tried.

Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof." John Kenneth Galbraith

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. Marcus Aurelius

haggeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:21 PM   #15325
Anonawesome
Scenic Rider

Oddometer: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyostrom View Post
I could use some insight or opinions. The other day, after another carb flooding issue with my 1995 DR350( It seems that the petcock just isn't right - floods all over everything if I put it on prime even for just a minute) some swearing etc, my wife suggested buying a new bike. Would I be that much happier with a DRZ400 over my 350? I realize that new bikes are just nice and money isn't really that much of an issue in the decision but it is a lot if it isn't all that much better a bike. I do most of my ADV touring on my 06 Vstrom(Dl650) but like the 350 for riding in the dirt and when my wife and I load the bikes in the truck and go somewhere. One other question, the local dealer has a DR650 but it doesn't seem all that much lighter than my vstrom.
Sounds like your floats are stuck. Have you let it sit for a while? Assuming you have the stock carb, open the drain plug on the bottom of the carb, (17mm bolt or something like that) drain the gas out then GENTLY poke something up there till you can feel that they're loose.
Anonawesome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:25 PM   #15326
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,816
Quote:
I could use some insight or opinions. The other day, after another carb flooding issue with my 1995 DR350( It seems that the petcock just isn't right - floods all over everything if I put it on prime even for just a minute) some swearing etc, my wife suggested buying a new bike.
Prime position of the stock petcock is just "ON" Otherwise you wait for engine vacuum to turn on the flow.

If your carb is flooding with gas on - either the little o-ring that holds in the float valve seat is crunchy or the float is getting heavy. Usually it's the o-ring. Greg Bender has the o-rings:
http://thisoldtractor.com/gtbender/f...350_orings.htm, but I recall that they come in a carb kit along with all the other soft parts (except the CV diaphragm which is oem only) model number K-583 made by Keyster.

OTOH, I have had issues with dirt/debris in gasoline getting stuck in the float valve. Having a white plastic tank lets you see just how much of that you get these days! Keep meaning to install an inline filter.

No experience on the DRZ, sorry.

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:27 PM   #15327
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,694
Quote:
Buy a Raptor Petcock for $24.95 from ProCycle and forget about it. A DRZ400 won't do anything your DR350 can't do as well or better imo. The DR650 is a very capable off-road bike, but will feel considerably heavier than your DR350.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:28 PM   #15328
haggeo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
that seems pretty much what i'm looking for. suzuki sells the panels for $60 each and i'm not sure if they are plain white or have stickers. i'll give good old "che" a try.

Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof." John Kenneth Galbraith

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. Marcus Aurelius

haggeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:35 PM   #15329
OldUKBikerGuy
Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 26
Rear shock restoration

While restoring my whole bike, I've got my rear shock in bits and wonder if it's OK to get the spring powder-coated?

Obviously when riding, the metal will flex a bit, but enough to cause a problem?
Any real-world experience, guys?

Also, the PO had taped some inner-tube rubber around the damper to protect the chromed shaft (which it had - quite well), but has anyone got a better idea?
Thanks!
OldUKBikerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:41 PM   #15330
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
that seems pretty much what i'm looking for. suzuki sells the panels for $60 each and i'm not sure if they are plain white or have stickers. i'll give good old "che" a try.
I would try pulling the stickers off first. A hair dryer and some wd40 should do it. New ones do not have the heat sheild sticker on the inside of the right side panel.