Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2013, 08:50 AM   #15361
haggeo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDog45 View Post
I pulled my rim locks (balance issues posted earlier) and now am wondering what, if anything, I should do to plug the now empty hole in the rim. My thinking is something should go there to keep the tube from pushing out like a big zit!

Irrational fear or justified concern...?
i took mine off and the tube never poked out. the rubber strip in the center of the rim should be able to keep it in, did mine anyway.

Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof." John Kenneth Galbraith

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. Marcus Aurelius

haggeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:48 AM   #15362
AST236
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by AST236 View Post
I recently traded for a '93 DR350S with 3416 miles on it. Wouldn't start and i knew it had been sitting for a while so i pulled the pumper carb and mailed it to Jesse Kientz at Kientech. I mailed the carb on Friday, the 23rd and got it back this morning, clean, adjusted, and ready to go. (That's 8 days, door to door between Alabama and Oregon) I skipped lunch and headed straight for the garage. Installed the carb, put all the other parts back in place, put some fresh gas in the tank, pulled out the choke, turned on the key, and offered a little prayer to the four-stroke gods of kickstart motorcycles. My new machine fired up on the second kick and runs like a top. Took her for a shakedown run in the nearby field and no probs.

Jesse was kind enough to answer every question I had and initiate me on the proper way to start the DR. His wife, Janet, was awesome on the phone and has forgotten more about pumper carbs than i know.

True customer service is rare these days, but I want to offer a big ADV salute to Jesse and the good folks at Kientech.

The only problem is now, my XR650L seems awfully heavy and hard to handle...........

I had forgotten that it was 2010 when I got this bike. I sold it to a friend shortly after because he browbeat me so bad for it. I made him promise to let me have it back if he ever decided to part with it. I've called him about every six months and tried to buy it back. This time it worked!! I"m picking it back up on Sunday!

I don't like sand.
AST236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:11 AM   #15363
FireDog45
Mid-life crisis sufferer

Oddometer: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggeo View Post
i took mine off and the tube never poked out. the rubber strip in the center of the rim should be able to keep it in, did mine anyway.
Thanks! Didn't think it would be an issue but wanted to check.
FireDog45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:25 PM   #15364
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,778
Quote:
I pulled my rim locks (balance issues posted earlier) and now am wondering what, if anything, I should do to plug the now empty hole in the rim. My thinking is something should go there to keep the tube from pushing out like a big zit!

20-25 psi acting over such a small hole will give only about 1 pound of force, which is not going to cause the tube to bulge out. However, I'd slap a piece of duct tape over the hole from the inside, just to keep the dirt out.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:39 PM   #15365
redleger
Horrible Mechanic

Oddometer: 568
I had a bit of a mishap on my DR350SET this week right after I repainted it. And now my ankle is mush. :( Looks like I gotta fix the forks and replace the handle bars now!

I will post before and after pics.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:12 AM   #15366
markk900
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
Sorry to hear! But glad you are well enough to type.....what happened?
markk900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:30 AM   #15367
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,557
Quote:

in stock form there was a little rubber plug.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:30 AM   #15368
Frankdozer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by AST236 View Post
I had forgotten that it was 2010 when I got this bike. I sold it to a friend shortly after because he browbeat me so bad for it. I made him promise to let me have it back if he ever decided to part with it. I've called him about every six months and tried to buy it back. This time it worked!! I"m picking it back up on Sunday!

What's the name of the center stand and where can I buy one?
Frankdozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:31 PM   #15369
FireDog45
Mid-life crisis sufferer

Oddometer: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
in stock form there was a little rubber plug.
I'll be spooning on some Shinko 244's in the very near future and will put something there then. Pulling the rim locks made riding this thing a whole lot more pleasant when running at 60 mph!

Looking forward to getting it out on some trails now.
FireDog45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #15370
EastBoundAndDown
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
Rear turn signals? I ride my SE in the woods alot, and I keep ripping off the big OEM rear signals.

I want cheapo aftermarket ones to be technically legal. Can I buy smaller ones from ebay? Is it just cut and solder the wires from the new signal to the wires from the old signal and go?

KTM200, GS500E, Concours 1000
EastBoundAndDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:41 PM   #15371
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundAndDown View Post
Rear turn signals? I ride my SE in the woods alot, and I keep ripping off the big OEM rear signals.

I want cheapo aftermarket ones to be technically legal. Can I buy smaller ones from ebay? Is it just cut and solder the wires from the new signal to the wires from the old signal and go?
All the OEM blinkers have bullet connectors to the wiring harness - you can reuse that existing connector/wire or not.

The cheap chinese LED blinkers work fine - but! you will need to unplug your turn signal indicator bulb (or all 4 will come on at once) and get an LED flasher (or they won't flash at all).

I did have one blinker lose it's lense in a "nap" situation, but I saved the piece (which would still snap into place, but not as securely) and wrapped it on with clear packing tape more than a year ago. Still works fine.

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:58 PM   #15372
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,297
Cheap Turn Signals

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=14920
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:02 PM   #15373
redleger
Horrible Mechanic

Oddometer: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk900 View Post
Sorry to hear! But glad you are well enough to type.....what happened?
parked in the gravel parking lot at work. I am in the Army so roosting loose gravel would be frowned upon. I hit a soft spot and had 2 options, lean back and get on the gas, or put my foot down, and stop. I chose to stop since I didn't wanna be "that guy". I am short, and had a low spot underneath my foot so instead of keeping it up, I just kept going. Tried to push off once I realized I was not going to stay upright and didn't make it. The bike landed smack dab on my ankle. The bike is not terribly jacked up, but the forks are twisted and the handle bar got a bit bent.

It simply hurts my soul because the DR350 really is my baby. I am going to start tomorrow. Never changed out handle bard before, seems to be alot of crap to take off and put on for something so simple. Pictures will follow.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:19 PM   #15374
travis789
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
A beautiful ride through Michaux State forest this morning. Stuck to the logging road to keep out of trouble. I sure wish there were more atv trails open to dual sports.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:10 PM   #15375
Anonawesome
Scenic Rider

Oddometer: 1,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundAndDown View Post

I bought these and mounted them on either side of the brake light.
http://doctorenduro.com/index.php?ma...sh_mount_smoke
They work fine and it's 100% impossible to kick or break them off.
Yeah they're a little on the expensive side but they're well made and look sweet.

They look dim but my battery is like 10yrs old
They're better when it's running.

You'll need front LEDs to match, and like Wadester said you'll need to remove the indicator bulb. As far as LED relays, you can go to advance and they should have an "auto-adjusting" relay. Happens to be the only see-through one. They work fine and I believe they're cheaper than LED specialty ones.
Anonawesome is offline   Reply With Quote