Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2013, 08:04 PM   #15406
jmderyke
Miner

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFC_Ren View Post
When I put a 15 tooth on my 1990 s model I had to clearance the case saver slightly with a dremel but it all fit back on there just fine to include the cover.
sounds like im gonna put on a 15 tooth sprocket thanks!
jmderyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:29 PM   #15407
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFC_Ren View Post
When I put a 15 tooth on my 1990 s model I had to clearance the case saver slightly with a dremel but it all fit back on there just fine to include the cover.
Mine fit fine
Old 04-08-2013, 06:19 AM   #15408
MOTO DUDE
Rydin Dirty

Oddometer: 123
stator source

Could someone give me a good source for a replacment stator for my 1999se.
MOTO DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:43 AM   #15409
Teeeeeemu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Question

Hey is there something wrong with my decomp lever? It stays down like it should but once you start pushing the kick lever down the decomp pops back up at some point BUT the kick lever doesnt have the resistance it should. I can push the kick lever just fine after the decomp pops back up. Is there a way to adjust it other than the nuts on the cable bracket?

It feels like the compression isnt as high as it should. Can I test it by pouring a little oil down the spark plug hole and see if it changes? Its a -91 btw so no auto decomp.
Also it doesnt start with the choke on, not even cold. Last summer it was like it should, choke on to start. I havent changed any jetting or done anything else to cause this. Only difference is the weather, +15 - 20c in the summer and now its about 0 - +5c.

Teeeeeemu screwed with this post 04-08-2013 at 07:49 AM
Teeeeeemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:16 AM   #15410
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeeeeemu View Post
Hey is there something wrong with my decomp lever? It stays down like it should but once you start pushing the kick lever down the decomp pops back up at some point BUT the kick lever doesnt have the resistance it should. I can push the kick lever just fine after the decomp pops back up. Is there a way to adjust it other than the nuts on the cable bracket?

It feels like the compression isnt as high as it should. Can I test it by pouring a little oil down the spark plug hole and see if it changes? Its a -91 btw so no auto decomp.
Also it doesnt start with the choke on, not even cold. Last summer it was like it should, choke on to start. I havent changed any jetting or done anything else to cause this. Only difference is the weather, +15 - 20c in the summer and now its about 0 - +5c.
Unlikely there's something wrong wth the decomp lever. From your description, it's working exactly as it should. Now if you believe your bike has low compression, that's to do with rings or valves. Have you checked the valve clearances?

Does your bike not start at all now or are you saying it will start with the choke off?
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:22 AM   #15411
Teeeeeemu
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
Unlikely there's something wrong wth the decomp lever. From your description, it's working exactly as it should. Now if you believe your bike has low compression, that's to do with rings or valves. Have you checked the valve clearances?

Does your bike not start at all now or are you saying it will start with the choke off?
Yeah valves have been checked and are .005 - .010 intake and .010 - .015 exhaust (mm)
Yes the bike starts without choke.
I was thinking about the rings too but havent tore the cylinder out yet cause bike kind of works.

I thought the point of decomp lever was to find the correct stroke when to kick. Now I just pull it down, kick until it pops up, kick a bit more, bring the lever back up and jump on it
Old 04-08-2013, 08:44 AM   #15412
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Oddometer: 1,200
Quote:
Yeah valves have been checked and are .005 - .010 intake and .010 - .015 exhaust (mm)
I was thinking about the rings too but havent tore the cylinder out yet cause bike kind of works.

I thought the point of decomp lever was to find the correct stroke when to kick. Now I just pull it down, kick until it pops up, kick a bit more, bring the lever back up and jump on it
uhhhhh....

uhhh...

Are those the right numbers for the valves?

My manual shows .08-.013 (mm) for exhaust.
Maybe tighten them a little bit?

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:00 AM   #15413
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,736
Loose by a couple of thousandths is not a problem. Too tight could be source of low compression. I'd want to make sure both inlets and both exhaust valves are at exactly the same gap.

Your bike starts in cold weather with no choke but used to need choke in warm weather. That means it's too rich.

Assuming you haven't done any cleaning or adjustment on the carb, I'd suggest the float needle is leaking or the O-ring around the needle seat is rotted away (most likely solution IMO). If you've still got the vacuum petcock, that could be leaking too although it would typically flood the engine if left to sit.

If you have fiddled or adjusted, either your pilot jet is too big or pilot fuel screw too many turns out or youve managed to get the float height too high.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:23 AM   #15414
Teeeeeemu
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
Loose by a couple of thousandths is not a problem. Too tight could be source of low compression. I'd want to make sure both inlets and both exhaust valves are at exactly the same gap.

Your bike starts in cold weather with no choke but used to need choke in warm weather. That means it's too rich.

Assuming you haven't done any cleaning or adjustment on the carb, I'd suggest the float needle is leaking or the O-ring around the needle seat is rotted away (most likely solution IMO). If you've still got the vacuum petcock, that could be leaking too although it would typically flood the engine if left to sit.

If you have fiddled or adjusted, either your pilot jet is too big or pilot fuel screw too many turns out or youve managed to get the float height too high.
Its got an on/off petcock, not the stock shit. Pilot jet is 40, fuel screw is 2.25 out. (Main jet is 140 and I got cut airbox and a loud exhaust) Checked the jets and cleaned the carb last weekend. Maybe I'll turn the fuel screw in a bit. Oh and I havent done anything to the carb during the year ive owned this bike, last weekend was the first time.

Theres also some backfiring btw, does running rich cause that? I know lean does. Could be the missing header-cylinder seal too...

And wtf Rugged youre right. I got the numbers from here http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/712...earance-specs/
The PDF manual from Greg does say .008 - .013. What do you guys with 90-93 bikes set them to?
Old 04-08-2013, 09:39 AM   #15415
FireDog45
Mid-life crisis sufferer

Oddometer: 572
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post
uhhhhh....

uhhh...

Are those the right numbers for the valves?

My manual shows .08-.013 (mm) for exhaust.
Maybe tighten them a little bit?
Those are too tight. The manual shows for the 1991:
Intake .05 mm - .10 mm (.002 in - .004 in)
Exhaust .10 mm - .15 mm (.004 in - .006 in)

(Section 10.1)

Not sure that having them too tight would cause what you're describing but you may want to readjust and see what happens. A compression check would be in order after that to make sure.

Good luck!
FireDog45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:28 AM   #15416
Teeeeeemu
Gnarly Adventurer

Manual says 0.08 - 0.013mm at section 2-4 which looks like the -90 model
then 91-93 its 0.10-0.15 at sections 10-2, 11-3 and 12-3
And firedog thats what I have, I was just confused cause the feeler gauges dont have the period in them, its just
005, 015 etc. So I accidentally wrote .015 and not 0.15...

Too tight would mean valves not closing completely, causing compression loss. Maybe it helps if I adjust the exhaust clearances closer to 0.15 than 0.10?
Old 04-08-2013, 12:21 PM   #15417
Frankdozer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
OMG............After a 50 mile street ride...........my rearend feels like I've been sitting on a brick. My 1990 Dr350s has the stock seat. Is there a more cushy seat or a bubble wrap or what else is there out there to sit on......................Thanks, Frank
Frankdozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:43 PM   #15418
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankdozer View Post
OMG............After a 50 mile street ride...........my rearend feels like I've been sitting on a brick. My 1990 Dr350s has the stock seat. Is there a more cushy seat or a bubble wrap or what else is there out there to sit on......................Thanks, Frank
Seat Concepts. $160, if you own a stapler and don't mind some simple work. Used to be free shipping for inmates (and here it is http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...s#post18371112):

http://www.seatconcepts.com/products...358&id=7268174

http://advrider.com/forums/search.php?searchid=23983070

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:43 PM   #15419
Anonawesome
Scenic Rider

Oddometer: 1,104
Assuming you would have mentioned it by now, but if you've done any work on the top end you could have placed the cam incorrectly. That would cause low compression. Not sure if it could run or not..
Anonawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:29 PM   #15420
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,429
Clutch Thrust Washer Spacer Removal

Need help. Trying to change out some clutch thrust washers. I am almost down to the last part which is the lower thrust washer. However I can not seem to remove the primary driven gear spacer. The spacer which is sandwhiched between the two thrust washers

I have tried tapping on it and prying. Nothing. It seems to be stuck on the shaft. I can not get the jaws of a puller under the thrust washer either.
This write up says that the spacer will most likey be stuck, but it doesn not offer any solution.
http://www.maximum-suzuki.com/forums...2452#msg892452

Ideas. Next I will try heat, and if that doesn't work, I guess I will have to cut the thing off.