Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 01:57 PM   #15586
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyteller View Post
Ok, I have looked the answer to a pretty simple, probably too simple. I'm looking at two different 93 DR350s...one the more trail version that has been converted to street and one that is the "street" version with factory blinkers, ignition switch,speedo, etc.

Question is:

Do either of these have "batteries" per se, or do all the electronics (very little obviously) run on these two bikes from the stator?

The trail version has some updates I like, but I'm wanting to add a elec speedo/odo and didnt' know if the stator would support such a thing.

Either one (different sellers) for $950. Thanks!!!
Other than the electricals there are a few more differences between the dirt and the street versions.

Dirt-pumper carb, stiffer valved shock w/ rebound dampening, Fork with rebound dampening (?), plastic non-DOT gas tank, al grab bar, nonDOT headlight with lighter cowl (strap mount), no horn, 70watt stator, no passenger peg or mount, solid foot peg mount, no speedo just odo, non-cush drive rear hub, no steering lock, no helmet lock, non vac petcock, No carbon can (cali).

Anything else guys?

In some states (Cali) you can not plate a dirt model DR. Even if it was once plated when you tranfer the title (sale) they will not let you register it for street use.
MrPulldown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:52 PM   #15587
tntmo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
In some states (Cali) you can not plate a dirt model DR. Even if it was once plated when you tranfer the title (sale) they will not let you register it for street use.

False. I have bought and sold many plated dirt model bikes in CA.

Other than that, you pretty much nailed it on the head.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:00 PM   #15588
thump!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Bender View Post
I have a 1993 DR350 (dirt model). There is no battery and the power available for "extras" is A/C. Forget charging anything (like a cell phone), running a GPS, or powering an electric tire pump. If those things are important to you, you'll want the "street" model that runs on D/C power.

FWIW, I only rarely miss having a battery and the associated D/C capabilities. I fit a mechanical speedometer/odometer, carry a good small hand tire pump, and charging a cell phone or running a GPS can be accomplished with batteries or a wall charger in a motel each night. I like the simpler electrical system.

The only thing I wish was better is the headlight/tail light. I'd like to run some of the very nice LED headlights that are currently available, but the vendors tell me they will not run properly on A/C power (I am not happy with the LED tail light I fit, either).

It isn't often that I find myself stuck out in the dirt at night (not my idea of fun). But there are times each year when it happens. I think I may be stuck using a rechargeable LED light. We'll see...

Regards,

Gregory Bender
It's pretty simple to rig up a rectifier using inexpensive off-the-shelf components (a full wave bridge and a capacitor) from Radio Shack. You get DC but still have only 70 watts tho.

thump! screwed with this post 04-24-2013 at 03:12 PM
thump! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:05 PM   #15589
Storyteller
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyteller View Post
The trail version has some updates I like, but I'm wanting to add a elec speedo/odo and didnt' know if the stator would support such a thing.

Either one (different sellers) for $950. Thanks!!!

So, nuts and bolts from those that have the trail version....

would I go wrong in selecting the trail, all things considered. I have a DL650 for the nicety things....I think I will be good with the trail version...

I had a WR400 that I had converted and didn't have a battery either....I still kick myself for selling that one!
Old 04-24-2013, 03:06 PM   #15590
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntmo View Post
False. I have bought and sold many plated dirt model bikes in CA.

Other than that, you pretty much nailed it on the head.
Recently? The stop plating dirt bikes in Ca in 2004. I guess if you have a plated dirt bike which was done pre04 they will still allow it.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/ohvdualreg.htm
Old 04-24-2013, 03:10 PM   #15591
thump!
Adventurer

Dirt model has rim locks and came with non-DOT knobbies. They do not have brake light switches or wiring Nor do they have screw mount points for mirrors on the brake or clutch perch. As delivered the dirt model has much lower final drive gearing. '98 and '99 "S" models got upgraded suspension like the dirt models.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:16 PM   #15592
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump! View Post
It's pretty simple to rig up a rectifier using inexpensive off-the-shelf components (a full wave bridge and a capacitor) from Radio Shack. You get DC but still have only 70 watts tho.
Tell me more! :>

Got a link to a how to site?
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:21 PM   #15593
thump!
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
Recently? The stop plating dirt bikes in Ca in 2004. I guess if you have a plated dirt bike which was done pre04 they will still allow it.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/ohvdualreg.htm
NC will ticket a motorcycle with "Not for Highway Use" or the like on the MSO even if the bike is legally plated in another state. If you're stopped there, they run the VIN thru the in-car computer. Apparently that information is in the vehicle record.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:29 PM   #15594
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Dirt model has rim locks and came with non-DOT knobbies. They do not have brake light switches or wiring Nor do they have screw mount points for mirrors on the brake or clutch perch. As delivered the dirt model has much lower final drive gearing. '98 and '99 "S" models got upgraded suspension like the dirt models.
Upgraded dirt suspesnion as the same rear shock for all year and the 97+ dirt fork.

Also
Dirt-No clutch or sidestand saftey both of which are DOT requirements.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:08 PM   #15595
thump!
Adventurer

Quote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diode_bridge

There might be better descriptions elsewhere... search for full wave rectifier

These components will suffice...
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062583
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2102508

The completed rectifier will look something like this:

FYI, A full wave bridge delivers a slightly higher DC voltage that the AC supply voltage (RMS voltage) so the output of this setup on a dirt model DR350 will likely be around 17VDC with a theoretical maximum current of about 4 amps.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:12 PM   #15596
Frankdozer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Tube For Mefo Tires ?

I just purchased new Mefo Sport Explorer Tires for my 1990 Suzuki DR350S Dualsport. For the rear tire, 120/80-18 they said to use a Bikemaster tube 3.75/4.00/4.25-18 TR6 tube, Part # 370187. The dealer said that tube was 1 size smaller ( he didn't have the next larger size ) and would work just fine. Is he correct? Thanks, Frank
Frankdozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:37 PM   #15597
haggeo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 883
Quote:
Well, IF these bikes are the way Suzuki built them the street version has a 12 volt 200 watt DC charging system with regulator/rectifier a small 4AH battery. The off-road model has an 12-15 volt 70 watt AC generator with a small voltage regulator and no rectifier or battery. So, the street model will run your electronics. The offroad model would probably require some kind of rectifier to do so safely and doesn't have much excess capacity. FWIW, both engines will run without their "electrical" systems since the CDI is powered and triggered by it's own coils in the stator.
i wouldn't have guessed that the SE stator puts out 200 watts, when looking at baja design's website it looked to me like they were claiming 90 watts http://www.bajadesigns.com/tech-info...eference-chart (i might be reading all of this wrong)

Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof." John Kenneth Galbraith

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. Marcus Aurelius

haggeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:54 PM   #15598
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggeo View Post
i wouldn't have guessed that the SE stator puts out 200 watts, when looking at baja design's website it looked to me like they were claiming 90 watts http://www.bajadesigns.com/tech-info...eference-chart (i might be reading all of this wrong)
The FSM list a SE as putting out a max of 125W at 5K RPM. No listing for Max output on the kick start "S". Though I suspect it is the same since the stators look the same.

I would assume the BajaD website you link is giving arrpoximate Wattage for a dirt version, as those guys typically deal with street legalizing non street legal bikes.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:01 PM   #15599
thump!
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggeo View Post
I think the Baja Designs unit is intended to upgrade the 70 watt single phase offroad model. I'm not sure about the exact output of the "S" model stator but would have to be close to 200 watts. Mine runs all the OEM lights plus an electric vest and heated grips and still maintains 14 volts at anything over about 2500 rpms. I don't run a battery so at idle the lights dim when the turn signals cycle but at riding speeds no problems.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:38 PM   #15600
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
Quote:

Baja Designs... http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDe...mNumber=122004 and Procycle... http://www.procycle.us/dskits/dskit.htm have regulators and regulator/rectifiers for AC dirt bikes if you don't want to make your own, although they might be the same stuff. It might be about as cheap/easy/better to change out all the parts with a later street model.
2bold2getold is online now   Reply With Quote