Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2013, 02:35 PM   #15766
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackanory View Post
Unfortunately it looks like this is for the dirt model with the pumper carb so I wasn't able to find the CV specs unless I overlooked them somewhere (entirely possible and wouldn't be the first time. or last...)
I think you overlooked them...the factory manual contains the specs for both models across each of the various years. It probably could have been organized a bit easier, but it is in there.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:36 PM   #15767
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,823
Quote:
, a clymer came with the bike but it is always nice to have the factory manual too. Unfortunately it looks like this is for the dirt model with the pumper carb so I wasn't able to find the CV specs unless I overlooked them somewhere (entirely possible and wouldn't be the first time. or last...)
You over looked it. I have the same guide. It is pretty complete for an aftermarket manual.
MrPulldown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:42 PM   #15768
jackanory
I am Jack's wasted life

Oddometer: 476
took the DR out for a little shakedown cruise.

Looking out over the snake river valley south of Nampa. Headed across the river and out into the Hemingway Butte area.

Hiked up a rock outcropping (damn am I out of shape! huffed and puffed the whole way up) and looking out over the same general area from the other side of the river. Yes there is a DR in that pic. Teeny little blue and white spec center of pic.

zoomed in a little

Was having some fuel starvation lean issues at higher revs so I let the bike cool down and then headed home. I think this is the culprit.

jackanory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:50 PM   #15769
jackanory
I am Jack's wasted life

I routed my fuel lines the way I saw it had been done in this thread.

I'm not real thrilled with it due to that rise over the intake that the lines have to take. I know there was an alternate routing that had them lower but I worry about the exhaust side.

I don't think I'm going to be able to run those fuel filters with this set up. I bled the lines with a vacuum bleeder when I set it up but could not get 100% of the air out and it seems like it increased on this ride. vapor from hot fuel in the lines?

I was definitely getting fuel starvation at higher revs. I think I will just have to take the filters out unless somebody has some wisdom to offer.

Also I had it pop out of gear a few times. I remember something about a loose shift drum bolt maybe? Maybe it just needs a more deliberate shift because once it had happened a few times I started paying more attention to my shifts and it didn't occur again. But at that time I was halfway home.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:52 PM   #15770
jackanory
I am Jack's wasted life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Bender View Post
I think you overlooked them...the factory manual contains the specs for both models across each of the various years. It probably could have been organized a bit easier, but it is in there.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
You over looked it. I have the same guide. It is pretty complete for an aftermarket manual.
Yep, that figures. I will work on my reading comprehension. Thanks guys!
Old 05-08-2013, 03:53 PM   #15771
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,875
you should run the 90 degree version. helps take a kink out.

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:18 PM   #15772
smc5735
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
fuel/air issue

Hey guys,

a week ago my fuel screw (on the bottom of the carb on the float bowl) fell off of my 97 dr350se. I ordered a new one and just put it in.

Now the bike is having trouble starting. I got it to start but had to hold the throttle and it was not idling correctly and looked like it was burning a little oil (black/blue smoke).

The fuel screw was screwed all of the way in. I am thinking it is an air/fuel issue because it wont even start correctly. If I pull the screw out a few turns gas starts dripping out of the bottom of the bowl..

It never ends !
smc5735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:35 PM   #15773
AaronK
Grumpy Grumperson

Oddometer: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by smc5735 View Post
Hey guys,

a week ago my fuel screw (on the bottom of the carb on the float bowl) fell off of my 97 dr350se. I ordered a new one and just put it in.

Now the bike is having trouble starting. I got it to start but had to hold the throttle and it was not idling correctly and looked like it was burning a little oil (black/blue smoke).

The fuel screw was screwed all of the way in. I am thinking it is an air/fuel issue because it wont even start correctly. If I pull the screw out a few turns gas starts dripping out of the bottom of the bowl..

It never ends !
I think there should be a gasket under the fuel screw. When the fuel screw falls out, the gasket will usually go next.
AaronK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:51 PM   #15774
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Was having some fuel starvation lean issues at higher revs so I let the bike cool down and then headed home. I think this is the culprit.

Doubt it. That is how they all are. You will never get rid of the air bubble. The fuel line routing with respect to fule deleivery only comes into play when you are about to hit empty. Four gallons worth of "available head", insures that your carb has plenty of juice.

Maybe you are leaning out.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:55 PM   #15775
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smc5735 View Post
Hey guys,

It never ends !
You talking about the bowl drain screw or the idel air/fule mixture screw? Sounds like the bowl drain, which is not an adjustment. Might jsut be a completly unrelated issue.

If you are talking about the idle mixture screw, there should be an o-ring and a spring. Cranked down all the way would give you the idle and starting problems you are discribing. mixture screw should be set between 1.5 to 3 turns out.

remember if you have empties your bowl you got to wait a minute with the petcock on prime before it will fill back up.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:59 PM   #15776
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I routed my fuel lines the way I saw it had been done in this thread.

I'm not real thrilled with it due to that rise over the intake that the lines have to take. I know there was an alternate routing that had them lower but I worry about the exhaust side.

I don't think I'm going to be able to run those fuel filters with this set up. I bled the lines with a vacuum bleeder when I set it up but could not get 100% of the air out and it seems like it increased on this ride. vapor from hot fuel in the lines?

I was definitely getting fuel starvation at higher revs. I think I will just have to take the filters out unless somebody has some wisdom to offer.

Also I had it pop out of gear a few times. I remember something about a loose shift drum bolt maybe? Maybe it just needs a more deliberate shift because once it had happened a few times I started paying more attention to my shifts and it didn't occur again. But at that time I was halfway home.
Your carb looks funny, is that a BST33?
Old 05-08-2013, 05:13 PM   #15777
jackanory
I am Jack's wasted life

Quote:
Your carb looks funny, is that a BST33?
Honestly I couldn't tell you. It's a Mikuni CV, that's as far as my knowledge base takes me.

Quote:
Doubt it. That is how they all are. You will never get rid of the air bubble. The fuel line routing with respect to fule deleivery only comes into play when you are about to hit empty. Four gallons worth of "available head", insures that your carb has plenty of juice.

Maybe you are leaning out.
That air bubble grows while riding though, that's what troubles me. But I can see your point with all that weight of fuel above there is no logical reason that it isn't reaching the carb.

You may very well be right about the leaning out. I think what is confusing the issue is that I'm probably rich on the bottom with that 40 pilot and then lean mid to top with the 135 main.

I just ordered the jet kit from Jesse so I will have a 140 and new needle in there soon. I also ordered the 37.5 pilot. I hate making two changes at once but I will probably do it just to get to a known baseline. Jesse apparently knows his stuff.

In the meantime I taped off half the airbox opening and I will see if that makes any difference if I get a chance to ride before the jets come in.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:15 PM   #15778
smc5735
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
You talking about the bowl drain screw or the idel air/fule mixture screw? Sounds like the bowl drain, which is not an adjustment. Might jsut be a completly unrelated issue.

If you are talking about the idle mixture screw, there should be an o-ring and a spring. Cranked down all the way would give you the idle and starting problems you are discribing. mixture screw should be set between 1.5 to 3 turns out.

remember if you have empties your bowl you got to wait a minute with the petcock on prime before it will fill back up.
It is #8 on this diagram (the one I replaced) http://www.bikebandit.com/1997-suzuk...22231sch241247

I am almost certain this is the issue I had because I haven't started it since then (because the gas would pour out without the screw). It only sat for a week..
smc5735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:44 PM   #15779
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,498
That screw just drains the float bowl. It won't cause any running issues....as long as it there.
2bold2getold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:14 PM   #15780
thump!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,162
Check the o-ring under the float needle seat. It dries out and causes all kinds of strange behavior. I'm of the opinion that at least half of the DR carb problems discussed here are due to this issue.
thump! is offline   Reply With Quote