Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2013, 09:03 AM   #15826
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by swoody126 View Post
been playing this game for over 40 years & never used a NEEDLE to lube my cables

started out creating a funnel from duct tape & dribbling lube down the disconnected cable, 'til it emerged from the other/bottom end

then came the CABLE LUBER TOOL:

http://www.aerostich.com/cable-luber.html

this tool is a small, very efficient link between your favorite aerosol lube can & either end of your cable

you have already identified the plastic sleeve & therefore the need for a plastic friendly lubricant

proper use of this tool assures COMPLETE application of lube

as mentioned above, a bit of FREE PLAY in the lever assures there is no exterior force on the clutch system, which is necessary for proper engagement

just an OLD man's 2 worth

sw
Yes, a great tool, everyone should have in their toolbox - but TWENTY FREAKIN' DOLLARS!!! Aerostitch does it again! I bought a handful of them a couple of years ago in the dollar store and they are all over eBay/Amazon/Your favorite bicycle shop for $5 or $6
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:15 AM   #15827
swoody126
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
Yes, a great tool, everyone should have in their toolbox - but TWENTY FREAKIN' DOLLARS!!! Aerostitch does it again! I bought a handful of them a couple of years ago in the dollar store and they are all over eBay/Amazon/Your favorite bicycle shop for $5 or $6
since i am not allowed to post pics, i simply used the AEROSTITCH link for information purposes

those guys have an awesome catalog & their pictures are quite clear

you are corrupt, i mean accurate, in your statement that they can be had elsewhere, for less & i should have added that to my post

hope it didn't mislead anyone to thinking there was only one source...

i keep one in my home, shop, barn & travel tool kits

along w/ some dry lube that is plastic compatible, which i also use on the zippers of the tent, hammock, jeep top, jackets.......

sure makes life easier

thx 4 the gig

sw
Old 05-12-2013, 12:20 PM   #15828
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by redleger View Post
I go to change my oil last night to get ready to ride into work this morning on my DR and I smell fuel in the oil.
Quote:
Am I looking at a huge issue here?
It's likely that the carburetor overflowed. In order for this to happen, one or more of the following must be wrong with the carburetor while the petcock is either leaking or open: worn/damaged float needle (look for the tell-tale witness-line under magnification), dried up/cracked/damaged needle seat o-ring, dirt/deposits on the float needle seat, or a leaky float (i.e. there is fuel inside one/both of the floats).

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:29 PM   #15829
yotatoy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Post DR Thread

Well I have been reading this thread pretty religiously for about 2-3 months now, and been searching the living piss out of it for details and info. I have probably read about 70% of the entire thread so I figured it was about due time that I put a post on here of my own as well as setup my email notification.

I picked up my 1990 DR350 dirt model from fellow inmate "Sned", thanks Jeff! Heres some pictures of my new ride...

First 2 picture are from the "for sale thread"

Next 2 are with my "fleet"

Currently bike is the way i bought it, I recently picked up a stator and rectifier/regulator off a 93 "S" Model and will upgrade that next winter. Tripmeter was the only thing not working on the bike, i got another cable in the mail from same guy I picked up stator from so that will be on soon. I am currently using my cell phone as my "GPS speedometer", I have an otterbox case and I hard mounted the "belt clip" to my handlebars, now my phone just clicks right onto my bars.

Picked up the bike about 2-3 weekends ago, been riding her everyday since, till yesterday when it was cold enough to start snowing again.

Cheers!
yotatoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:30 PM   #15830
Airvent
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
Hovering above the trails earlier today

Airvent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:35 PM   #15831
tntmo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
You are going to need to get an S model CDI also, along with the S model wiring harness if you want to upgrade the electrical system. You also need a battery or capacitor in the system.

The dirt model doesn't have the mounting lugs built into the frame to mount the regulator/rectifier. You can use some large sheet metal screws instead. It also doesn't have the same mounts for the battery box, but there are a few options there, too.

My 99 dirt model DR has a complete S electrical system so I went through this. I also believe the ignition rotors are different between the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotatoy View Post

Currently bike is the way i bought it, I recently picked up a stator and rectifier/regulator off a 93 "S" Model and will upgrade that next winter.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:32 PM   #15832
yotatoy
Gnarly Adventurer

could be wrong

From my understanding from reading on here, the 90-93 have the same rotor and cdi. I plan to add some sort of battery or battery pack. Something small and light weight. I plan to fabricate my own box or mount plate. Worst case scenario I will look into getting a cdi off a s model. Which is why I am waiting till riding season is over so I don't have to rush putting it back together. I will try to take pictures and notes and add them to this thread and the stator thread I was reading.

Cheers!
Old 05-12-2013, 09:15 PM   #15833
thump!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by yotatoy View Post
From my understanding from reading on here, the 90-93 have the same rotor and cdi. I plan to add some sort of battery or battery pack. Something small and light weight. I plan to fabricate my own box or mount plate. Worst case scenario I will look into getting a cdi off a s model. Which is why I am waiting till riding season is over so I don't have to rush putting it back together. I will try to take pictures and notes and add them to this thread and the stator thread I was reading.

Cheers!
The CDI on 90-93 S and off-road models will interchange with some caveats. I know this because I've done it. The caveats are that the off-road model CDI does not have circuitry for the safety interlocks on the side stand, neutral sending unit and clutch. It also does not provide a tachometer signal or neutral light signal. However, the engine will run just fine.
thump! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:42 PM   #15834
yotatoy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thump! View Post
The CDI on 90-93 S and off-road models will interchange with some caveats. I know this because I've done it. The caveats are that the off-road model CDI does not have circuitry for the safety interlocks on the side stand, neutral sending unit and clutch. It also does not provide a tachometer signal or neutral light signal. However, the engine will run just fine.
Thanks for chiming in Jim, seeing how I dont have/use any of the safety locks, neutral light, or tacho on my bike now, it will go un-noticed to me, I appreciate the assurance that she will still run fine. My main reason for swapping over it to be able to add on some better headlights and run some external devices.

Cheers!
Old 05-12-2013, 10:32 PM   #15835
jackanory
I am Jack's wasted life

Oddometer: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airvent View Post
Hovering above the trails earlier today

sweet!
jackanory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:41 PM   #15836
jackanory
I am Jack's wasted life

Oddometer: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackanory View Post

Was having some fuel starvation lean issues at higher revs so I let the bike cool down and then headed home. I think this is the culprit.

These have got to go. Went for a quick spin today. Had taped off half the airbox opening and didn't get the cutting out that I experienced last week but still had some lean surging.

Got back home, shut the bike off, looked down at those filters and they were filled with nothing. nada. fuel vapor maybe but no liquid gas.

Hopefully the new jets and needles show up tomorrow. When I pull the carb (again!) I will remove those filters, maybe run a single one.

Other than this fuel delivery gremlin I am loving this little bike
jackanory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:30 AM   #15837
thump!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackanory View Post

Got back home, shut the bike off, looked down at those filters and they were filled with nothing. nada. fuel vapor maybe but no liquid gas.
If you haven't already done so, you should check the petcock screen inside the tank. Also, if you're running the OE "S" model vacuum operated petcock it might be suspect.
thump! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:29 AM   #15838
tntmo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump! View Post

Interesting to know. I figured the dirt model wouldn't work. I guess I have a spare CDI then.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:44 AM   #15839
Schneiderman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Has anyone seen this type of switch from Baja Designs? It's not simply a kill switch, it has 8 wires coming out of it. This one is bad... the switch stays lit up in both on and off positions, and when it is plugged into the harness none of the lights work. I need to get a new switch but I'm not sure exactly what I need to correctly replace this, and the baja designs website doesn't seem to show any switch like this one.

Schneiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:49 AM   #15840
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneiderman View Post
Has anyone seen this type of switch from Baja Designs? It's not simply a kill switch, it has 8 wires coming out of it. This one is bad... the switch stays lit up in both on and off positions, and when it is plugged into the harness none of the lights work. I need to get a new switch but I'm not sure exactly what I need to correctly replace this, and the baja designs website doesn't seem to show any switch like this one.
I'm not familiar with the switch BUT if it's lit up in both positions, I would guess it's wired up incorrectly, not necessarily bad. Contact BD and ask them for a wiring schematic.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote