Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 08:52 AM   #15841
jackanory
I am Jack's wasted life

Oddometer: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump! View Post
If you haven't already done so, you should check the petcock screen inside the tank. Also, if you're running the OE "S" model vacuum operated petcock it might be suspect.
Not applicable, it's an Acerbis tank that I just installed.
jackanory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:23 PM   #15842
TinyTim
Noob

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis789 View Post
Your engine was stone cold when the valves were adjusted, I hope?
Yes, it was cold. Why?
The bike has been running fine since. No oil leak and the engine sounds like before. Should I be concerned about something?
Old 05-13-2013, 05:33 PM   #15843
travis789
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyTim View Post
Yes, it was cold. Why?
The bike has been running fine since. No oil leak and the engine sounds like before. Should I be concerned about something?
just that it needs to be cold when adjusted. If its warm, the metal expands and your clearances will be wrong. It sounds like you're good!
Old 05-13-2013, 06:28 PM   #15844
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis789 View Post
just that it needs to be cold when adjusted. If its warm, the metal expands and your clearances will be wrong. It sounds like you're good!
but it doesn't need to be stone cold. If it hasn't just been running and you're not burning your fingers it's cold enough.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:45 PM   #15845
Schneiderman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
So I did find the correct replacement switch at baja design's website... They want almost $20 after shipping. Can anyone tell me what type of switch this is so maybe I could pick one up cheaper at an electrical supply store?

http://bajadesigns.com/ProductDetail?ItemNumber=129007
http://bajadesigns.com/docs/tech-inf...d.pdf?sfvrsn=2

The only thing that has me wondering is that apparently the light in the switch is supposed to be hooked up as a high beam indicator. I don't know whether I can simply eliminate the functionality by going to an unlit switch.
Schneiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:57 PM   #15846
jackanory
I am Jack's wasted life

Carb is giving me fits! I had a definite lean running condition so I ordered up the jet kit from Kientech. Installed that with the opened airbox and eliminated the inline fuel filters. Too many changes at once.

The float level is all over the place and not real responsive to adjustments. I have replaced the appropriate o-rings... but I am dealing with a 25 year old carb. It looks spotless inside but as a last ditch effort it's soaking in pine sol overnight. Tomorrow I will flush it really well and then hit it with some carb cleaner. If that doesn't do the trick then I will have to assume the floats are bad and need to be replaced. If that is the case then I am just going to order a pumper carb and be done with it.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:04 PM   #15847
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneiderman View Post
So I did find the correct replacement switch at baja design's website... They want almost $20 after shipping. Can anyone tell me what type of switch this is so maybe I could pick one up cheaper at an electrical supply store?

http://bajadesigns.com/ProductDetail?ItemNumber=129007
http://bajadesigns.com/docs/tech-inf...d.pdf?sfvrsn=2

The only thing that has me wondering is that apparently the light in the switch is supposed to be hooked up as a high beam indicator. I don't know whether I can simply eliminate the functionality by going to an unlit switch.
Did you check to see that it was wired correctly? The link you provided is not entirely clear as the norm would be to show the pinout as seen from the bottom of the switch but the diagram mentions "as seen from above" which might mean that's how you should consider the pinout too.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:19 PM   #15848
Schneiderman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
Did you check to see that it was wired correctly? The link you provided is not entirely clear as the norm would be to show the pinout as seen from the bottom of the switch but the diagram mentions "as seen from above" which might mean that's how you should consider the pinout too.
I hadn't found the diagram yet when I was last working on the bike. I can't work on it again until next week, and I'd like to have a replacement available in case the switch I have is bad. But... I don't want to spend $20 on what should be a $5 switch just to have it as a backup.
Schneiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:51 PM   #15849
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneiderman View Post
I hadn't found the diagram yet when I was last working on the bike. I can't work on it again until next week, and I'd like to have a replacement available in case the switch I have is bad. But... I don't want to spend $20 on what should be a $5 switch just to have it as a backup.
Looking at the number of contacts, I'd guess it's a double pole, three-position switch. Add the LED status indicator and $16 isn't too bad. If the switch is waterproof/dustproof too then $16 is a bargain. The only way to do it cheaper would be to use a separate switch and status light - but then you'd have to find a place to mount the light. A full schematic indicating what connects to which wire and what the switch poles do, rather than just the wire color would help to troubleshoot the switch and connections.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:54 AM   #15850
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,925
Here's a new question:

My stock speedometer has started speeding up. Actually was indicating 95mph yesterday. I am pretty sure that this is not a problem with the drive puck (cleaned and relubed a year ago) or the cable (cleaned and relubed same time as puck).

How can a mechanical speedo speed up? Drag from whatever would slow it down, eh?

Anybody had this before?

Thanks.

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:36 AM   #15851
Nortonbrian
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackanory View Post
Carb is giving me fits! I had a definite lean running condition so I ordered up the jet kit from Kientech. Installed that with the opened airbox and eliminated the inline fuel filters. Too many changes at once.

The float level is all over the place and not real responsive to adjustments. I have replaced the appropriate o-rings... but I am dealing with a 25 year old carb. It looks spotless inside but as a last ditch effort it's soaking in pine sol overnight. Tomorrow I will flush it really well and then hit it with some carb cleaner. If that doesn't do the trick then I will have to assume the floats are bad and need to be replaced. If that is the case then I am just going to order a pumper carb and be done with it.
Step one, set float level accurately! Get the level to spec before you change anything.
Nortonbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:38 PM   #15852
culliganman
92 dr 350s

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadester View Post
Here's a new question:

My stock speedometer has started speeding up. Actually was indicating 95mph yesterday. I am pretty sure that this is not a problem with the drive puck (cleaned and relubed a year ago) or the cable (cleaned and relubed same time as puck).

How can a mechanical speedo speed up? Drag from whatever would slow it down, eh?

Anybody had this before?

Thanks.
I have the same problem with my tach. Its fine at idle but then consistently shows 2-3k higher than it should.
culliganman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:50 PM   #15853
jackanory
I am Jack's wasted life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nortonbrian View Post
Step one, set float level accurately! Get the level to spec before you change anything.
I hear ya. I think I finally have it. I had to bend the tab quite a bit to get the level down below the seam. I mean it is really bent. Probably about a 30 degree angle. I'm wondering if it is the right float needle in there as it appears you have to buy the needle as well as the seat together to the tune of $50!

I would imagine that if the rubber tip on that needle valve wore out it would have been replaced with whatever needle the mechanic had at his disposal to use in there.

Anyway, looks like I have the float level dialed in... (fingers crossed)
Old 05-14-2013, 04:11 PM   #15854
travis789
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
I received my Seat Concepts seat today, to Cali and back in 2 weeks. Very happy with the fit and finish and its much more comfortable than stock. Thanks for the good advice.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:22 PM   #15855
boardforever
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
I know this has been discussed here before, but I just regeared my bike this week, I have a 99 SE which since I have owned it has never had stock gearing. I was running 14/43 but was really screaming at highway speed, I went back to stock 15/41 which seems crazy high now. I wonder what other people use for a good mix of on and off road, I commute on my bike but also like to ride trails on the weekends. I haven't tried the 15/41 off road yet, but it seems really high geared.