User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2009, 05:42 PM   #1576
RyanE
Rocket Surgeon

Oddometer: 69
I got my riding fix!

Looks like fun John! The pumper was probably the best money I've spent on my bike. Tell me about the snow! I couldn't take it today. It's been really cold here in Calgary, but today it warmed up to close to zero. Better get the bike out!

I've recently added some new features as well: YZ/WR400 stock exhaust, Zeta Handguards with LED indicators and forkskinz. I like the new look. Now to get 'er dirty!

Exhaust fitment:

If anyone's interested, and has welding facilities at hand, it is rather easy to fit a stock WR/YZ 400 exhaust like I did. I didn't even need to purchase any fittings. Just, carefully cut the WR midpipe and re-weld it so it fits nicely. I needed to re-locate the mid-pipe bracket and weld a support bracket on to the rear grab handle. All in all, I'm very happy with it. Well, except for one thing! The PO of the pipe removed the quiet baffle, so it's a tad bit loud now. Power *feels* stronger up top, but who knows? Butt dynos are subjective. Well worth the $25 on ebay and an afternoon Tig welding with my father!

Pray for warmer weather and melted snow!
Old 02-28-2009, 12:11 AM   #1577
Bob Onit
Rocket Surgeon

Oddometer: 1,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeroc40
Would anyone like to post their jetting with the pumper carb and stock exhaust? I haven't started on it yet, but I am removing the Supertrapp that is currently on the bike and putting a stock pipe back on.

BTW: If anyone is looking for a Supertrapp, let me know.
Do you have the S model or the dirt model?
Is you're air box stock or has it been cut? (opened up)
What jetting were you running with the Super Trapp?
Bob Onit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:17 AM   #1578
Bob Onit
Rocket Surgeon

Oddometer: 1,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyandjebus

Recently a used pumper carb from Bob over at thumpertalk and today the parts need to install(from Jesse)

The plan is to install this weekend, but no riding for a few weeks yet. Still too much snow on the ground.
This "Global Warming" is real bitch aint it John....
Bob Onit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 02:30 PM   #1579
pdoege
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
New to me DR350

This is my new-to-me DR350.

It is a kicker. Not entirely stock. I have a list of goodies that I am trying to order from Jessie.

This is the carb. Any idea if this is the pumper or the CV?

I am rebuilding the rear brakes tonight.

This is the pipe on it now. It is terribly, obnoxiously loud.

This is the pipe I am going to replace it with. The donor bike
is a Ducati and the pipe is actually quite light.

Regards,
Peter

pdoege screwed with this post 02-28-2009 at 02:37 PM
pdoege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 03:21 PM   #1580
johnnyandjebus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532

This is the carb. Any idea if this is the pumper or the CV?

I say CV because my cv has the throttle cables on the left side, the pumper has it on the right(at least mine does) Plus the base of the carb looks cv as well.

Good luck with the project. A ducati muffler on a dr350, first I've heard of it, looking forward to hearing how it turns out.

John
Old 02-28-2009, 04:03 PM   #1581
pdoege
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyandjebus
Good luck with the project. A ducati muffler on a dr350, first I've heard of it, looking forward to hearing how it turns out.
It'll be the classiest thing on the bike.

Peter
Old 02-28-2009, 07:07 PM   #1582
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,656
RyanE;

Sweet looking 350!

dc
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 03:18 PM   #1583
RandyM
Less talk, More ride

Oddometer: 898
After some disassembly, cleaning, and inspection, I got the new DR350 up and running.

I checked the valves and adjusted them to spec. and cleaned the carb.

I also bent the subframe back to approximately the right shape using a 2x4 and a couple blocks of wood. I bent the reaf fender back to shape, which was harder than the subframe. I tied the fender down to the subframe and used a heat gun on the bend area to soften it up.

Installed the Acerbis tank and a few stickers from Gadget Boy.

I'm not quite pleased with the fuel routing with the Acerbis tank.

Left side.

Right side:

It seems to work, but I'm thinking about re-routing it with a better quality hose. Maybe a fuel filter with a 90 degree outlet to lower that loop in the hose, and a stainless steel braided fuel line for the right side and a solid hose clamp.

I also installed the Turbo City Borrego rack. Fixed Turn signals and installed a connector for my GPS. I found an unused connection behind the headlight, a two pin connector that is 12V switched on and off with the ignition. After I cut off the connector, I found a mating connector in a local electronics store for $0.99! The cutoff connector from the bikes wiring harness is in the center.

I mounted the Zumo on the handlebars, for lack of a better place.

The Carb is a stock CV with stock jetting. Airbox and muffler are stock and I don't plan to change that. I cleaned out the carb, but found some O-rings were in bad shape. I replaced some from a metric o-ring kit and got the bike running reasonalby well. There is hesitation at low RPMs, when it is cold, but there is none once it is warmed up. I have an extened fuel screw and some new O-rings on order from Keintech that will allow me to fine tune it.

Some of the Cleveland National Forrest opened up this weekend, and I went for a little spin on the DR350 to see how it does. First, I went to practice in a parking lot near my house. A few Quick stops and figure 8's. The brakes seemed OK but could use some improvement. I guess that will be my next task.

Next I got on the freeway. It looks like it will cruise OK at 65-70Mph and acceleration is acceptable despite my weight (230LB ).

I took it on a fire road and I like how the bike handles. In stock form, it has plenty of power for me.

In case you are wondering, that's a Wolfman Explorer tank bag on the tail rack.

I checked the speedometer against the GPS. Speedometer is reading about 10% low. However, Odometer read 1.2miles higher than the GPS.

I rode back and filled the tank backup. 71 miles / 1.165 Gallons = 60.9 MPG.

It's a little soft in the springs, and hard in the seat but that can be fixed. I'm happy with my $1500 + a few parts + elbow grease bike.

Thanks to everyone who posted on the DR350 Thread. It has been very helpful.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:32 PM   #1584
johnnyandjebus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
Look'n good Randy That last pic has me thinking about heading over to justgastanks I really like the look of the acerbis tank and I could use the extra range.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:11 AM   #1585
RyanE
Rocket Surgeon

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwrider75
RyanE;

Sweet looking 350!

dc
Thanks! Now if the snow would ever melt.......I might get to use it!
Old 03-03-2009, 07:15 AM   #1586
DustyOne
Riding@6500' & up

Oddometer: 382
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyM
Installed the Acerbis tank and a few stickers from Gadget Boy.

I'm not quite pleased with the fuel routing with the Acerbis tank.

Left side.

Right side:

It seems to work, but I'm thinking about re-routing it with a better quality hose. Maybe a fuel filter with a 90 degree outlet to lower that loop in the hose, and a stainless steel braided fuel line for the right side and a solid hose clamp................
Randy,
looks good.......really good

as to your fuel line routing, here's a good suggestion:
get rid of that cheap plastic Y-Connector immediately & buy a good brass T-Connector

that way your line from the right side will feed in several inches further back & look a lot cleaner....PLUS, it will lay lower on top of your carb

then, if you still need help keeping it down, simply put a zip-tie on it & attach to the carb loosely, that'll keep it it place

with this setup on by ACERBIS on my DRZ400, I also decided to run 2 fuel filters, 1 for each line.....hey, every little bit helps

I placed them just after the line comes out of the fuel tap...clean, efficient, reliable......but I do like your 1 Filter setup too

happyriding !!

tommyg
DustyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:05 PM   #1587
sdpc2
Just another Rally Rat

Oddometer: 1,097
Oil........sorry in advance

I just picked up a new to me '98 DR350SE. My question, is what type of oil i should run in the bike. I don't have an owners manual, so i bought a Clymers. I have read on here that there are a number of mistakes in that manual, but it was better than nothing. But i can't find any info, about running Dino, semi-synth, or full-synth.

Come someone suggest what direction i should go in?

thx,

sdc

I lower my passenger pegs for those riders that have gone before me
sdpc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:27 PM   #1588
pdoege
Gnarly Adventurer

10w/40 changed every 60 hours operation.
87 octane fuel

I consider 60 hours to be close enough to 1000 miles. The manual specifies "Suzuki Performance 4 Motor Oil" but says that any SE or SF rated 10w/40 will work.

No mention of synthetic or not. With the rather short service interval synthetic is probably overkill.

Be sure to clean the oil strainer.

I'd be tempted to check the valves and bleed the brakes as those tasks are often neglected. Tire pressure too.

And then ride it. The bikes are nearly agricultural in nature. You are going to have to go out of your way to kill it.

Regards,
Peter Doege
Old 03-03-2009, 01:24 PM   #1589
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdoege
Be sure to clean the oil strainer.
How do you do this? Do you just unclamp the tube and it'll be self-explanatory?

I've never had a bike with a dry sump before.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:43 PM   #1590
saddlsor
my butt hurts

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay
How do you do this? Do you just unclamp the tube and it'll be self-explanatory?

I've never had a bike with a dry sump before.
on the front downtube the oil line goes into a fitting, right above the drain. take the oil line off and unscrew the fitting. the screen is in the fitting. I've checked mine twice, first time had a little bit of metal flakes in it, most likely from the frame casting, second time it was clear. just be aware the fitting might be difficult to get out as it can be pretty tight.
saddlsor is offline   Reply With Quote