NICE!
Airvent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:56 AM   #15932
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
I still can't figure out how to top out the kick starter to get a full stroke out of each kick.
Do you have the manual decompression lever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
Cold Start
  1. If temperature is below 50F, pull the choke.
  2. Rotate the motor using kick-start until you locate (compression) TDC. The kickstart will not rotate as easy once you reach TDC on compression stroke.
  3. Press and release the de-compress lever. de-compress lever will remain engaged, at least on my bike.
  4. Engage kick-start slowly, until de-compress lever returns.
  5. KICK!.
  6. WROOM, WROOM!
  7. Slowly push the choke, until engine within operational temperature.

HOT Start
  1. Rotate the motor using kick-start until you locate TDC.
  2. Press and release the de-compress lever.
  3. Release kick-start.
  4. Partially crack open the throttle -- 1/6th of a turn. Hold open.
  5. KICK!
  6. WROOM, WROOM!
  7. Release the throttle.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:00 AM   #15933
Richklr650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
fuel petcock

hey gang what are you guys using to replace the stock vacum valve on a 93 350s thanks as soon as i get this thing up and running like it should ill post some pics thanks Rich
Richklr650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:09 AM   #15934
cwc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Bender View Post

I've had really good luck with the inexpensive Primary Drive brand of chain and sprocket that Rocky Mountain ATV sells. Here are some links to consider:
Greg,

Do you keep records of how long the chains last?

I've been using RK chain with JT sprockets and generally average 8K miles from a set.
The chains usually develop stiff spots that I might be able to ignore, but I put on new if going on a trip of some length.
Most of my use is on really bad dirt roads in northern Mexico with river crossings and polvo that submerge the chain and paved and gravel road use around home.

DR350 It'll get you there

My Ride Reports Here
cwc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:22 AM   #15935
Anonawesome
Scenic Rider

Oddometer: 1,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
Did not have very much luck getting the spare bike running this weekend.
About two months ago I got the bike started by rolling it down the street and popping the clutch. Start after the engine turned over only once. Got it home and was able to kick start it. Great, went and parked it.
Friend was over this weekend so we tried to get the bike rideable. New cables, fixed flat tires, grips, fixed the kick stand rub, levers, buttoned down the seat and gas tank, speedo cable, decomp lever and cable, checked the valve clearance (lose so I am getting full compression). Try to start it but it would not. Took about half a mile of bump starting it before it would go. Towing behind my truck up the hills so that I could bump it going down. Ran horribly when it did. Would buck so hard in the begining it would almost throw me off. Would run better with the choke on. However the chcok would not stay in place. All stock airbox and jeting for a 250 (as far as I could tell). It really pissed me off. We never did get a motorcycle ride in together.
Now I am scratching my head wondering now what.
I still can't figure out how to top out the kick starter to get a full stroke out of each kick.
Sounds like a timing issue. Has it done this since you got it? Or have you done any top end work? It's easy to not put the cam back in the right position.

The kickstarter issue is because the spring that pulls the lever back up is set up improperly. I did the same thing to mine when I took the kickstart mechanism apart because the "ratcheting" mechanism was not properly catching every time. I just stretched out the spring a little. Unrelated to your problem, you need to figure out what will wind up the spring a little more. I still haven't fixed mine, but I'm sure it can't be that difficult to troubleshoot it.
Anonawesome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:45 AM   #15936
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwc View Post
Greg,

Do you keep records of how long the chains last?

I've been using RK chain with JT sprockets and generally average 8K miles from a set.
The chains usually develop stiff spots that I might be able to ignore, but I put on new if going on a trip of some length.
Most of my use is on really bad dirt roads in northern Mexico with river crossings and polvo that submerge the chain and paved and gravel road use around home.
Hi Charlie,

I have not kept careful track. When I take day rides, I just lube and go. I never clean the chain other than whatever indirect blast it might get when I wash the bike. So, I really have not been trying to get the most out of a chain. Like you, I ride a lot of dusty, rocky, really bad "roads" here in Arizona. I don't see much in the way of submersion in river crossings, but I do get them splashed pretty much every ride.

The previous chain I used was this one with the primary drive sprockets:
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...58/-/-/195432/

I do have purchase records: I purchased the RK chain and sprockets Aug 16, 2010. I purchased the replacement Primary Drive chain and sprockets Aug 13, 2012. That RK o-ring chain lasted me right at 2 years...about 12,000 miles at my current 6,000/year usage. When I was riding home on a long trip, that RK chain was spent and loose. I used it up good and proper.

I suppose that is pretty good mileage for a mistreated chain. I'm sure street riders would scoff, but since I ride shaft drive Guzzis, I have no idea how long a street chain is supposed to last. For the cost of a replacement chain and sprockets, I'm honestly not all that concerned about getting more than 10 - 12 thousand miles out of it.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:10 AM   #15937
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,561
DR350 stuff for sale in flee market

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888791 Not mine.
2bold2getold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:59 PM   #15938
mustangwagz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Keintech folks

Holy cow, called yesterday to speak with them about jetting suggestions, janet told me EVERYTHING i wanted to know, plus stuff i didnt know. haha. So thats great customer service! order my longer fuel screw from them, once gregs o ring kit gets here, and my carb rebuild kit, ill be tearing into the bike to install the 140 main jet and the adjustable needle...

Now for yinz's help...my aftermarket needle that came with the parts carb has 6 positions...currently in the 4th from top position. Keintechs has 5 notchs... they run in middle she said. Anyone got suggestions for me? Janet said leave it in 4th postion and try it..was just curious if anyone else had run into a 6 position needle along their way?

My attempt to roundup Local Riders..
https://www.facebook.com/dualsportridingwesternpa
mustangwagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:44 PM   #15939
rubberband
Will ride for tacos

Oddometer: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangwagz View Post
Holy cow, called yesterday to speak with them about jetting suggestions, janet told me EVERYTHING i wanted to know, plus stuff i didnt know. haha. So thats great customer service! order my longer fuel screw from them, once gregs o ring kit gets here, and my carb rebuild kit, ill be tearing into the bike to install the 140 main jet and the adjustable needle...

Now for yinz's help...my aftermarket needle that came with the parts carb has 6 positions...currently in the 4th from top position. Keintechs has 5 notchs... they run in middle she said. Anyone got suggestions for me? Janet said leave it in 4th postion and try it..was just curious if anyone else had run into a 6 position needle along their way?

If you read your post....you answered your own question...
Run it just like J &J Kientech says...you'll be happy.

I always thought it was Yunz...my grandparents lived in Pittsburgh.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:12 PM   #15940
FireDog45
Mid-life crisis sufferer

Oddometer: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberband View Post
+1 Start where Jesse/Janet suggest and go from there. I was having some hot start issues after rebuilding my carb with Jesse's kit. Called him up and found out I had mis adjusted the idle mixture screw. Reset it and so far so good.
FireDog45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:41 PM   #15941
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 1,054
PVC Spacer Length Suggestion

Hey guys. I just got my 99' DR350SE running after buying it a year ago. Only 2,900 miles on it and I also own a 90' DR350S and a 08' DR650SE. This 99' 350 has the dirt model's suspension and I have far too much preload in the cartridge forks. Jesse sent me springs with 2-5/8" and 3" PVC spacers so, with a friends help a couple of days ago, I squeezed the shorter 2-5/8" spacers in there. There is too much preload. I called Jesse today and he suggested going with an 1/8" or 1/4" of preload- meaning cut the spacers to where they are 1/8" to 1/4" longer than they have to be to just touch the cap. I have always thought it had to do with rider weight and aiming for the suspension settling at 1/3 of its travel with rider on bike and not just a general one size fits most setting. I have other spacers i can cut to length and have ready for when I can get a friend to help. More importantly I can take them to work and cut them on a saw used for PVC and not have to slowly and carefully hack saw it by hand like I did with the 90' DR350's spring upgrade. Does anyone remember any lengths or discussions on spacer length for CARTRIDGE style DR350 forks??

I have owned the bike for over a year and finally really drove it for the first time today after getting it inspected. I rode it on the road and on some power line trails. I was disappointed, but I know I have too much preload front and rear right now. There was also a very noticeable shudder that oscillated on and off and i hope it too is suspension related. I put a pumper carb on she runs strong and starts easy. Man that magic button sure is nice coming from the 90' model. i hope you guys can help me out. i am trying to get her ready for a friend to ride in the mountains this weekend.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:21 PM   #15942
Chiknmunky
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
I would cut the spacers to fit just like Jesse said.
As far as your shudder,If it feels like its drive line related, could be you need a new chain.
Chiknmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:27 PM   #15943
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiknmunky View Post
I would cut the spacers to fit just like Jesse said.
As far as your shudder,If it feels like its drive line related, could be you need a new chain.
I pulled the chain and sprockets form the 90' DR which only have about 500 miles or less. I am running some big knobbies and maybe they are causing it. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:39 PM   #15944
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneiderman View Post
I was trying to remove the case saver bolts in order to re-install the front sprocket guard that the PO had removed, but included with the bike when I bought it. The lower case saver bolt snapped... Upper one did not give me any problem.

Is there anything important I need to know about that lower bolt before I take an ez-out to it?
Too late now, but i think you leave the case saver in place and install the cover using other holes. No? Not sure where to get reverse thread drill bits, but i would start looking for them. I snapped a fork tube pinch bolt off in the triple and got it out with an easy out. I was nervous as hell. Use lots of PB Blaster along with it. Maybe heat as well. Try to use a punch to make s spot for your drill bit to get started in. You may need to start with a smaller bit and work up. Just don't let anything break off in there. If you ride off road that cover will get jammed up with crap.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:16 AM   #15945
mustangwagz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberband View Post
If you read your post....you answered your own question...

I always thought it was Yunz...my grandparents lived in Pittsburgh.
its spelled a few ways..lol

Yunz
yuns
Yinz
yins...

potatoe, pota'to ...all on how ya feel in the morning. haha i like "yinz" though..

My attempt to roundup Local Riders..
https://www.facebook.com/dualsportridingwesternpa
mustangwagz is offline   Reply With Quote