Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2013, 02:44 PM   #16111
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crenshaw View Post
What are you guys with dirt models using for a speedometer/odometer. I am frickin sick of replacing the little bicycle computers after they get all smashed up.

My speedo drive looks ok, just needs a new cable. Anyone use the baja designs speedo? The price is right and it has all the function I need. I'm also tempted to just buy an S cluster from eBay but I don't care about the tach, lights, etc...(nor do I assume they work on a dirt model without some tinkering)

I'm not obsessed with knowing my speed, but I do a fair amount of highway riding and I rely on the odometer a lot for navigation and fuel.
I've got 13,000+ miles on this unit...works great with the stock cable. I did need to fiddle a bracket (still need to take photos of that).

http://thisoldtractor.com/gtbender/d...-_baja_designs

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:27 PM   #16112
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,699
Quote:
What are you guys with dirt models using for a speedometer/odometer. I am frickin sick of replacing the little bicycle computers after they get all smashed up.

My speedo drive looks ok, just needs a new cable. Anyone use the baja designs speedo? The price is right and it has all the function I need. I'm also tempted to just buy an S cluster from eBay but I don't care about the tach, lights, etc...(nor do I assume they work on a dirt model without some tinkering)

I'm not obsessed with knowing my speed, but I do a fair amount of highway riding and I rely on the odometer a lot for navigation and fuel.
I've been running a Vapor for the last 10k on mine. Works great. Pretty high tech compared to the little trip meter that came stock on the bike. Very easy to install, but I fabricated my own mounting bracket.

A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:56 PM   #16113
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
You going to use the stock ears to mount or the rubber straps.
stock
Old 06-03-2013, 03:58 PM   #16114
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,938
Quote:

How are you getting the bike speedo smashed up? Where do you mount it?

The S cluster will also require a S top triple to mount it. I got an extra if you need (triple). Adn you are correct, the lights in the cluster and the tach are a mess and would require a bunch of tinkering. The tach requires a signal wire from the CDI (? it is not a drive wire like the on some other bikes, and I don't think it is from the magneto).

MrPulldown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:35 PM   #16115
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
How are you getting the bike speedo smashed up?
The sensor and the readout always lasted fine for me. Instead, it was the wire that always broke due to vibration as the forks traveled up and down. They would start out perfect the first number of rides, then get sketchy and deteriorate to the point where I could not rely on them. I still use bicycle speedometers on my older Guzzi that lack a trip meter, but I don't anymore on my DR350.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Old 06-03-2013, 04:43 PM   #16116
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Bender View Post
The sensor and the readout always lasted fine for me. Instead, it was the wire that always broke due to vibration as the forks traveled up and down. They would start out perfect the first number of rides, then get sketchy and deteriorate to the point where I could not rely on them. I still use bicycle speedometers on my older Guzzi that lack a trip meter, but I don't anymore on my DR350.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
? Wires break due to vibrations? I can understand getting snagged on branches, or not leaving enough slack. How exactly do they break.

I ask cuase I am in the process of fitting a bike speedo and I want to keep it running for as long as possible.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:52 PM   #16117
Crenshaw
Bum

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Bender View Post

Regards,

Gregory Bender

Yep same here. I usually wreck the pickup part that mounts to the fork. I've tried a handful of different methods but it never lasts more than a couple hundred miles. I can see how it would be fine on a road only bike.
I think I'll pick up a new cable and try the BD speedo.

Thanks for the input guys!
Old 06-03-2013, 05:22 PM   #16118
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Yuo guys are worrying me. What about the Trail tech Speedo. Its pick up look pretty much like a bike speedo one.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:31 PM   #16119
Crenshaw
Bum

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Yuo guys are worrying me. What about the Trail tech Speedo. Its pick up look pretty much like a bike speedo one.

I had high hopes every time I re-did mine, but I am finally giving up. Some people seem to run them no problem...

I'm not familiar how the trail tech gets it's speed input, but unless it hooks to the factory speedo gear I assume it's a similar pickup/magnet setup like a bike computer.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:21 PM   #16120
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,699
Quote:
No issues whatsoever with mine and it's been through just about everything you can imagine.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:09 PM   #16121
markk900
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
Not sure if you are after the latest in electronics, but I mounted an old Yamaha speedo (works fine with the stock drive and cable)...
markk900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:19 PM   #16122
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk900 View Post
Not sure if you are after the latest in electronics, but I mounted an old Yamaha speedo (works fine with the stock drive and cable)...
Interesting, I used an old Honda ( 84 XR/L I think ) speedo on my "99 KLX 300. It worked perfect. Wonder if the speedo gearing ratios are all about the same on 21" front wheels.
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:29 AM   #16123
markk900
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bold2getold View Post
Interesting, I used an old Honda ( 84 XR/L I think ) speedo on my "99 KLX 300. It worked perfect. Wonder if the speedo gearing ratios are all about the same on 21" front wheels.
From the (admittedly little) research I did, for the most part yes they are. Especially among Japanese bikes, and they didn't change this over the years. That speedo is off a 78 DT400 (which is pretty much the same speed as almost the entire DT line since the early 70s).
markk900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:03 AM   #16124
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I've not seen a trail tech in person, but from the photos it appears to me like the cable is quite a bit more substantial than the Sigma Sport bicycle speedometers I've used. I would certainly expect it to be very durable if it is being sold for dirt bike applications.

With the Sigma, I tried all sorts of ideas trying to make it last. I even went so far as to route the entire cable through a larger flexible tube hoping that would solve my issues. No such luck. I gave up. The baja designs speedometer has been great.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Old 06-04-2013, 11:50 AM   #16125
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

I have a 98 RM fork swap and it was close to imposible to get the stock cluster to work. A speedo cable drive front wheel would have costed me the price of the entire project. I have been running the last season with no speedo. I do have a bar mounted GPS that I turn on occasionally when I am on the road, so I have an idea of how fast I am going.

Was going to get a Trail tech Vapor, but then again: too cheap. I have a bike speedo that I am getting ready to mount. I will take every per-caution when mounting it to see if I can get her to last. Thanks for the heads up.