Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2013, 12:22 PM   #16306
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump! View Post
Re: HID, LED and other bright lights.

"A gentleman does not motor about after dark" - Joseph Lucas. I agree. I ride about 20K miles a year but VERY seldom ride at night. There are just too many critters lurking on the roadside in my part of the world.
Who said any of us are gentle men?
Old 06-17-2013, 01:10 PM   #16307
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump! View Post
. . . I ride about 20k miles a year but very seldom ride at night. There are just too many critters lurking on the roadside in my part of the world.
+1
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #16308
mustangwagz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by redleger View Post
I agree. I am in the Army and I leave to work at 0430-0500 depending on what is going on. I can tell you riding at night here is scary, but I have never had any real issues on my DR350 except wobble from the stupid rim locks, but thats another issue. Riding at night isn't that big a deal for me. I look ahead, avoid dogs and cats, and occasionally when no one is looking catch some air at a certain intersection in town.
Ride on my friend! haha, SOunds like you got the same perspective as i do! have fun while ya can..cuz some day...we wont be able too! lol

My attempt to roundup Local Riders..
https://www.facebook.com/dualsportridingwesternpa
mustangwagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:46 PM   #16309
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangwagz View Post
Ride on my friend! haha, SOunds like you got the same perspective as i do! have fun while ya can..cuz some day...we wont be able too! lol
Look out now. Out here on the range we don't wanta hear no stinkin discouraging words.
2bold2getold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:27 PM   #16310
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,088
So my wife is looking at a 1996 DR350SE to buy. I think it has lowering links, because the bikes sits nearly vertical when resting on the side stand (side stand is too long). Once she is comfortable with the bike, we will likely raise it back up, so we don't want to cut the OEM stand. Does someone sell a shorter stand like they do for the DR650?

...and yes, I googled, used the advrider search feature, and everything else I could think of.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:51 PM   #16311
AaronK
Grumpy Grumperson

Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
So my wife is looking at a 1996 DR350SE to buy. I think it has lowering links, because the bikes sits nearly vertical when resting on the side stand (side stand is too long). Once she is comfortable with the bike, we will likely raise it back up, so we don't want to cut the OEM stand. Does someone sell a shorter stand like they do for the DR650?

...and yes, I googled, used the advrider search feature, and everything else I could think of.
http://www.manracks.com/#!kickstand-service/cgwa
ManRacks Adjustable side stand. I have done business before with him, I purchased a DR650 rear rack. The rack is solid and I look forward to doing business with him again. Maybe these... http://www.manracks.com/#!suzuki-dr350/c1h0l Stainless Steel Tie Downs.
AaronK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:32 PM   #16312
mustangwagz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bold2getold View Post
Look out now. Out here on the range we don't wanta hear no stinkin discouraging words.
True true, Your right man! my bad.. i appologize..

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for always responding! I posted over in the pre96 DR650 forum and am yet to see anyone else post or reply..lol which sucks but oh well. ill share with yinz. My brother bought a 93 DR650S with almost 3300 miles on it for 1200 bucks....going over it and gettin all the stuff cleaned and prepped to go. best thing was watching him try to kick start it...lol for me its no issue at all, but till he got used to it....it was interesting. all the DR's seem to be same!! hahaha. anyhow, carry on...ill see what else i can dig up for the 650 elsewhere.

My attempt to roundup Local Riders..
https://www.facebook.com/dualsportridingwesternpa
mustangwagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:48 PM   #16313
smc5735
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Does anyone have an idea of why I have fuel in my air filter tube that leads to my carburetor. While riding two days ago we went through a lot of water.. I was thinking this may have something to do with it? I'm a bit unsure of how this could have happened..

I noticed this by the enormous odor of gas in my garage when I woke up this morning. If anyone has a tip/hint on what this could be I would appreciate it.
smc5735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:38 AM   #16314
cwc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by smc5735 View Post
Does anyone have an idea of why I have fuel in my air filter tube that leads to my carburetor. While riding two days ago we went through a lot of water.. I was thinking this may have something to do with it? I'm a bit unsure of how this could have happened..

I noticed this by the enormous odor of gas in my garage when I woke up this morning. If anyone has a tip/hint on what this could be I would appreciate it.
Did your bike lay down for a nap during this ride?

DR350 It'll get you there

My Ride Reports Here
cwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:54 AM   #16315
cwc
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post

If you have access to a good welder (or are one) you could carefully take out a short section down near the "foot" and replace it later if desired.

Have you measured the links? The stock ones are ~160 mm bolt center to bolt center. Longer ones are 8-15 mm longer.

My Ride Reports Here
Old 06-18-2013, 04:02 AM   #16316
Anonawesome
Scenic Rider

Oddometer: 1,207
Quote:

That reminds me, does anyone happen to know what the short tube is on the bottom of the intake boot just past the airbox? A while back I took it off and found it was full of oil and this spongy steel wool sorta stuff. I don't care if it was supposed to be there, I emptied all that out. I will not be cleaning that crap out of my carb ever.
Anonawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:21 AM   #16317
FireDog45
Mid-life crisis sufferer

Oddometer: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonawesome View Post
That reminds me, does anyone happen to know what the short tube is on the bottom of the intake boot just past the airbox? A while back I took it off and found it was full of oil and this spongy steel wool sorta stuff. I don't care if it was supposed to be there, I emptied all that out. I will not be cleaning that crap out of my carb ever.
If its the piece I'm thinking of it should have a one way valve at the end. My understanding is it is there to give any water that enters the airbox a place to drain. The oil is most likely the excess from an overly oiled filter. At least that's what mine looked like.
FireDog45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:32 AM   #16318
smc5735
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwc View Post
Did your bike lay down for a nap during this ride?
I did lay it down very quickly and then towards the end of the day the idle would get stuck at 5k rpm..

Wondering if this has anything to do with the gas that is backing up into my airbox arm
smc5735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:13 AM   #16319
cwc
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I did lay it down very quickly and then towards the end of the day the idle would get stuck at 5k rpm..

Wondering if this has anything to do with the gas that is backing up into my airbox arm
Sometimes when the bike is on it's side gas won't flow out of the bottom of the carb but instead goes into the airbox.

As far as the fast idle that can be caused by dirt or small rocks near the idle adjustment that prevents the throttle from closing, at least on CV carbs. I know nothing about pumpers.

My Ride Reports Here
Old 06-18-2013, 12:30 PM   #16320
Tork
Pinsetter

Oddometer: 3,485
Choice of 98 or 97 DR350S OR SE , which to choose ?
Tork is offline   Reply With Quote