User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2013, 11:25 PM   #16351
trailraat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Hello again,

Does anyone know if the bolts holding the front caliper to the fork are the same from the dr350 to the dr650? Mine recently went missing while on a ride (don't ask) and my parts store said that the part number was no longer available. The bolt is an 8x24 so, if I have to, I plan to find a similar grade 8 bolt and make it work as the replacement. However, if anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them.

Another issue is that my tachometer will no longer show anything higher than 4000 RPM. I have no idea where to start investigating this issue? could it be a ground type thing?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank!
Old 06-26-2013, 09:52 AM   #16352
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailraat View Post
Hello again,

Does anyone know if the bolts holding the front caliper to the fork are the same from the dr350 to the dr650? Mine recently went missing while on a ride (don't ask) and my parts store said that the part number was no longer available. The bolt is an 8x24 so, if I have to, I plan to find a similar grade 8 bolt and make it work as the replacement. However, if anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank!
Doubt it. If you had a 98-99 maybe. The 650 uses the "other" brake caliper, that suzuki seems to use on all the other dual sport/MX bikes. If you have one handy go ahead ahead and try it. I do not think that it is a very special bolt. If you have a bucket of metric bolts jsut try a bunch of them. I would jsut make sure that it is of the smae grade, and length.

If not head to the hardware store. THe only thing that is speical is that it has a built in washer, or flange on the hex head part of the bolt. Also remember that the grade rating for metric is not the same as SAE bolts. SAE uses the little hash marks to note the grade with 8 beign the good stuff. With metric bolts the grade is stamped on the head in a numerical number. IIRC the 10.6 is the same as grade 8 and the one you want.
MrPulldown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:27 PM   #16353
LoopGaroo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
I'm checking out a cheap 1990 DR350 (Dirt but plated) tonight. I'm super excited.

The bike looks a little rough in the pictures. Any advice about decerning between the obvious rough looks and potential deal-breaker rough maintenance history? Any general advice for what to look out for?

Thanks!
LoopGaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:59 PM   #16354
redleger
Horrible Mechanic

Oddometer: 570
There is more but off the bat have him cold crank it. Make sure he didn't warm it up before you show up. Check air filter too see how well he maintained it. Leaks and tire wear. Obvious external engine damage. And mods. See if he has opened the air box or done the keintech exhaust. That would be good starting points.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:46 PM   #16355
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopGaroo View Post
I'm checking out a cheap 1990 DR350 (Dirt but plated) tonight. I'm super excited.

The bike looks a little rough in the pictures. Any advice about decerning between the obvious rough looks and potential deal-breaker rough maintenance history? Any general advice for what to look out for?

Thanks!
depending on where you live a plated dirt bike might not fly when YOU go to try to register it. In Cali for example no Dirt DR350 will ever fly plated. If it is currently plated you will have trouble at the DMV when trying switch the registrtion to you. In Colorado you will have no problem.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:20 PM   #16356
LoopGaroo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
I don't think the DMV is that strict here in illinois. I've never needed to have a bike I've bought be inspected. I'm checking out the DR350 tonight, so I'll either report back or post pics!
LoopGaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:41 PM   #16357
mustangwagz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopGaroo View Post
I don't think the DMV is that strict here in illinois. I've never needed to have a bike I've bought be inspected. I'm checking out the DR350 tonight, so I'll either report back or post pics!
i say post pics anyhow. this way if anyone else in area is interested, and you dont buy it, they can maybe get ahold of current owner? just a thought.

My attempt to roundup Local Riders..
https://www.facebook.com/dualsportridingwesternpa
mustangwagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:44 PM   #16358
350mon
n00b

Oddometer: 1
DR350 wiring

Pls excuse if this question is in inappropriate location ... couldn't find new thread prompt! .... looking for decent '96 DR350 wiring diagram for printing purposes. The first page of options on a google search tended to be sucky. (Too small and too blurry upon downloading and then blowing up to print!)
Any suggestions?

(There used to be a great DR350 page by a guy that's disapperaed ... grrr)
Thanx from a noob & rgds
350mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:21 PM   #16359
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350mon View Post
Pls excuse if this question is in inappropriate location ... couldn't find new thread prompt! .... looking for decent '96 DR350 wiring diagram for printing purposes. The first page of options on a google search tended to be sucky. (Too small and too blurry upon downloading and then blowing up to print!)
Any suggestions?

(There used to be a great DR350 page by a guy that's disapperaed ... grrr)
Thanx from a noob & rgds
That was the "G-man's" DR350 site.

Go to Benders "This old Tractor Site" (google). You'll find what you need there in the form of a PDF manual.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:23 PM   #16360
redleger
Horrible Mechanic

Oddometer: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
That was the "G-man's" DR350 site.

Go to Benders "This old Tractor Site" (google). You'll find what you need there in the form of a PDF manual.
yes this man has done great things within the DR350 circles.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:29 PM   #16361
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by redleger View Post
yes this man has done great things within the DR350 circles.
http://www.thisoldtractor.com/gtbender/dr350.htm And another interesting thread http://www.bikechatforums.com/viewto...322761#2322761
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:40 PM   #16362
_CJ
Retrogrouch

Oddometer: 1,482
So I developed a gas leak while out riding recently. It seems the raptor petcock is very close to the engine's uppermost cooling fin with the IMS tank which melted the gas line, or rubbed through or something.

Thinking about cutting off a piece of the cooling fin to give the petcock/fuel line some clearance. Anyone done this? Any reason not to?

MTB since 1991, Full-Rigid Steel 1x8
_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:58 PM   #16363
AdvLars
n00b

Oddometer: 5

Hey guys! Can I join the club? Just picked up a 98 dr350se with 5500 miles. Mildly modded with a supertrapp, some stubby blinkers, bars and brush guards. Runs beautifully with a freshly cleaned carb

Anyway, while I'm posting... Anyone know a good spot to find some passenger pegs? Or maybe have an old pair kicking around the garage?
AdvLars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:53 PM   #16364
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
So I developed a gas leak while out riding recently. It seems the raptor petcock is very close to the engine's uppermost cooling fin with the IMS tank which melted the gas line, or rubbed through or something.

Thinking about cutting off a piece of the cooling fin to give the petcock/fuel line some clearance. Anyone done this? Any reason not to?

same dilemma here.. either that or replace fuel lines once in a while. how long did your fuel line last?
Old 06-26-2013, 08:15 PM   #16365
tntmo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
depending on where you live a plated dirt bike might not fly when YOU go to try to register it. In Cali for example no Dirt DR350 will ever fly plated. If it is currently plated you will have trouble at the DMV when trying switch the registrtion to you. In Colorado you will have no problem.
I have to respectfully disagree. In the last 10 years I've owned at least five plated dirt models in CA. Never an issue at the DMV.