User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2013, 06:13 PM   #16381
mwilliamshs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Anybody recognize these parts?

Looking to add some style and protection to my DR350 and my DR250.

Over a year ago over in the "Wind screen pics for DR650" thread, on page 11, ADVBedouin posted a pic (sorry I can't post it here) of his DR650 with a Laminar lip and some Acerbis handguards with some bolt-on fairings and I gotta admit...EXACTLY what I want to put on my DR350 (especially since I have the handguards). Even the mirrors look slick but I'll probly stick with stock till I destroy them and then go to the RamMount (doubletake?) mirrors but just in case, anybody recognize them too?

So in summary, http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=159 is the place to see the picture I'm talking about and I'd like to know what mirrors he's got mounted in addition to whether or not anybody has put the DR650 shroud on a DR350 or DR250? I'm curious about the fitment with our stock instruments. I'm sure I can get spacers/bolts/etc to make the shroud itself bolt-on but looking right is always tougher. ALSO would like to know what the little fairings bolted on are all about!
mwilliamshs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:40 PM   #16382
2sos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Excessive Drive Lash??

Hey all,

I'm not sure I'm using the right terminology but I seem to be having a lot of problems with drive lash. Even with feathering the clutch to the best of my abilities its getting to be a rough ride. Only thin I know to is check the chain tension and it is withing the 25-40 mm specs. What is a good way to determine if the sprockets are good? It's a 98 SE. Any thought or comments would be great.

Thanks,
2sos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:51 AM   #16383
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sos View Post
Hey all,

I'm not sure I'm using the right terminology but I seem to be having a lot of problems with drive lash. Even with feathering the clutch to the best of my abilities its getting to be a rough ride. Only thin I know to is check the chain tension and it is withing the 25-40 mm specs. What is a good way to determine if the sprockets are good? It's a 98 SE. Any thought or comments would be great.

Thanks,
Can you post a couple of photos of your sprockets? In general, the sprocket teeth should not be hooked nor pointy at the tip. Instead, the top of each tooth should have a small flat spot. With wear and use, that flat spot disappears and you end up with pointy teeth and/or hooked teeth. By the time that happens, the chain is usually sacked, too.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:33 AM   #16384
2sos
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Bender View Post
Can you post a couple of photos of your sprockets? In general, the sprocket teeth should not be hooked nor pointy at the tip. Instead, the top of each tooth should have a small flat spot. With wear and use, that flat spot disappears and you end up with pointy teeth and/or hooked teeth. By the time that happens, the chain is usually sacked, too.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg,

Thanks for the response. As soon as I get home I'll take some photos. BY they way, love your site. I was just browsing it again. Thanks for all the info and hard work you have put into it.

Regards,
Brian
Old 06-28-2013, 11:28 AM   #16385
gladesteen
Padawan

Oddometer: 35
Valve adjustment

Hi guys,

Do you have to remove the tank to adjust the valves?
Found a few threads and have seen the "make your own" #2 deck screw tool, but nothing about ......do it this way, that way.

Thanks!
Mark
gladesteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:52 AM   #16386
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladesteen View Post
Hi guys,

Do you have to remove the tank to adjust the valves?
Found a few threads and have seen the "make your own" #2 deck screw tool, but nothing about ......do it this way, that way.

Thanks!
Mark
Yep, make life easy and remove the tank, coil, spark plug, and the two left side stator cover plugs. Rotate the crank in the direction it runs, watch the intake valve open (go down) and when it closes ( comes back up ) the next TDC mark on the fly wheel is the correct one to adjust your valves.
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:54 PM   #16387
mustangwagz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Greg,

Thanks for the response. As soon as I get home I'll take some photos. BY they way, love your site. I was just browsing it again. Thanks for all the info and hard work you have put into it.

Regards,
Brian
also maybe the cush drive rubbers are shot...mine was "herky-jerky" when i first got it, solved issue with new cush drive rubbers....get ready to shit brix when ya buy em at dealer. lol like 8 bucks each i think?

My attempt to roundup Local Riders..
https://www.facebook.com/dualsportridingwesternpa
mustangwagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:53 PM   #16388
2sos
Gnarly Adventurer

Here are some pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Bender View Post
Can you post a couple of photos of your sprockets?...
Gregory Bender

Greg,

Below are some pics. I just got home and haven't had time to take the sprocket cover off. My impressions are the sprockets look fine. Also, I pulled on the chain midway on the rear sprocket and couldn't expose any of the corresponding tooth at all.

One thing I did notice was a fair bit of lateral play in the front sprocket. If i pressed on the front sprocket about where the chain is there is probably a good 1/16th of movement but I would think that is normal.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:55 PM   #16389
2sos
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangwagz View Post
also maybe the cush drive rubbers are shot...mine was "herky-jerky" when i first got it, solved issue with new cush drive rubbers....get ready to shit brix when ya buy em at dealer. lol like 8 bucks each i think?
Thanks for the info. That makes a lot of sense. I didn't know the DR 350 had cush drive rubbers. Do you have a part number. I can't see them in the rear wheel diagram on bike bandits website.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:09 PM   #16390
2sos
Gnarly Adventurer

Globetrottin Fairing

For anyone who is interested. Here is a picture of the fairing from the guys over at globetrottin.org. I am extremely happy with this so far. I recently did a trip of about 200 miles of mixed terrain that included, fire roads, trails, and highways and never felt as if it was in the way. There was almost no wind on my body at $65 mph just on the top of my head. No buffeting and the lights are extremely bright. This and the seat concepts have made cruising on the road a lot more enjoyable.

I'm not affiliated with them at all, just thought I would let in on how it worked for anyone who was curious.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:12 PM   #16391
mustangwagz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Thanks for the info. That makes a lot of sense. I didn't know the DR 350 had cush drive rubbers. Do you have a part number. I can't see them in the rear wheel diagram on bike bandits website.
after seeing your pictures....you aint got cush drive bro. my bad. lol Did ya check swing arm play?

My attempt to roundup Local Riders..
https://www.facebook.com/dualsportridingwesternpa
mustangwagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:16 PM   #16392
2sos
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangwagz View Post
after seeing your pictures....you aint got cush drive bro. my bad. lol Did ya check swing arm play?
Lol ok. Didn't think so but I don't assume to know everything about the bike either lol. I haven't checked the swing arm play, but I will now that you mention it. Thanks again.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:57 PM   #16393
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,694
Quote:
For anyone who is interested. Here is a picture of the fairing from the guys over at globetrottin.org. I am extremely happy with this so far. I recently did a trip of about 200 miles of mixed terrain that included, fire roads, trails, and highways and never felt as if it was in the way. There was almost no wind on my body at $65 mph just on the top of my head. No buffeting and the lights are extremely bright. This and the seat concepts have made cruising on the road a lot more enjoyable.

I'm not affiliated with them at all, just thought I would let in on how it worked for anyone who was curious.

I bought the same exact fairing, and was going to the the same exact mods you got listed! Thanks!
Old 06-28-2013, 07:05 PM   #16394
LoopGaroo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
So I started digging into my new-to-me DR and found that the PO was running a 14x49 and it's pretty strung-out for around town. What's a good combo for a more street friendly set up? Like for 70/30 street/dirt. Would 16x49 be too high?

I also have a 15t front sprocket off of my wife's Suzuki TU250 it looks like it'll fit. Any idea if they're interchangeable?
LoopGaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:17 PM   #16395
Anonawesome
Scenic Rider

Oddometer: 1,227
Quote:

Looks good! I was considering that one but the $80 windscreen on procycle won me over. It's cheaper so I'll mind less if I break it.
http://www.procycle.us/dskits/dskit.htm

I just got my seat concepts seat yesterday. Was NOT expecting how much height it added. I'm about 6' and barely have a flat foot on the ground. All good though, very satisfied with it so far. I'll be riding about 350 miles tomorrow so hopefully it'll be a little more bearable than my 12hrs on the stock seat to Canada.
Anonawesome is offline   Reply With Quote