Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2013, 05:33 PM   #16651
skirecs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonawesome View Post
Yeah mine's getting hard to find neutral and the other day I upshifted (admittedly probably not far up enough) and it didn't go into 5th. It went in-between into a sort of neutral and just revved up when I got back on the gas.
I don't miss gears too often, but there is a rattle from the lower right area when I roll on from low RPM

I guess I'll add it to the list for next oil change...
skirecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:16 AM   #16652
tomscj6
Central Coast CA

Oddometer: 13
New to me DR350SE

I found a nice DR to replace my dual sported XR250, was after the estart and I lucked into this one at a local dealer! All stock except for a Supertrap. Its almost too nice for any proper ADV type mods.
Thanks in advance for any tips or tricks
Tom
tomscj6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:47 PM   #16653
thewax
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Hello all at ADV ! DR350 Guru's Help Please !

I have bought a Electric Start DR350 with an engine that had seized, took it apart replaced barrel & piston with good secondhand ebay items, to find out it originally must have had a bore kit on it as the original barrel & piston is bigger, also the bike must have previously dropped a valve as there is old damage to the cylinder head, and someone had put the valve springs on the wrong way round on that one replaced valve.

Anyway my main question here is wondering why it seized in the first place, im about to put the cylinder head back on repaired, but i cant work out why there is a locating dowel that covers up the oil feed in to the cylinder head ? although its clearly shown as item no 7 on this diagram, http://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-dr350-19...1.html#results , this dowel is also shorter than the other 2 in the head, if the dowel is in and i blow through the hole air comes out 1 of the cylinder head holes ? how does the oil supply the camshaft & top of the motor, is this right ? also there was loads of silicone sealant all round the main cylinder head bolts ?, im trying to figure out was the motor seized due to being run low on oil or oil starvation. i don't trust the whoever put the motor back together as it was also missing one of the locating dowels on the bottom of the barrel to crankcases !

If anyone can shed any light in this it would be great, i have a clymer manual and it does not mention this dowel either just the 2 locating ones
thewax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:58 PM   #16654
markk900
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscj6 View Post

I found a nice DR to replace my dual sported XR250, was after the estart and I lucked into this one at a local dealer! All stock except for a Supertrap. Its almost too nice for any proper ADV type mods.
Thanks in advance for any tips or tricks
Tom
Wow - where do you guys find these awesome deals? 830mi on it means its practically new. Nice find and welcome.
markk900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:36 PM   #16655
tomscj6
Central Coast CA

Oddometer: 13
Thanks
I just had good timing, I had traveled to a BETA dealer to look at a new 350
and the DR was out front, $1750 so I bought it on the spot. The BETA will wait.
Tom
tomscj6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:45 PM   #16656
Anonawesome
Scenic Rider

Oddometer: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewax View Post
I have bought a Electric Start DR350 with an engine that had seized, took it apart replaced barrel & piston with good secondhand ebay items, to find out it originally must have had a bore kit on it as the original barrel & piston is bigger, also the bike must have previously dropped a valve as there is old damage to the cylinder head, and someone had put the valve springs on the wrong way round on that one replaced valve.

Anyway my main question here is wondering why it seized in the first place, im about to put the cylinder head back on repaired, but i cant work out why there is a locating dowel that covers up the oil feed in to the cylinder head ? although its clearly shown as item no 7 on this diagram, http://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-dr350-19...1.html#results , this dowel is also shorter than the other 2 in the head, if the dowel is in and i blow through the hole air comes out 1 of the cylinder head holes ? how does the oil supply the camshaft & top of the motor, is this right ? also there was loads of silicone sealant all round the main cylinder head bolts ?, im trying to figure out was the motor seized due to being run low on oil or oil starvation. i don't trust the whoever put the motor back together as it was also missing one of the locating dowels on the bottom of the barrel to crankcases !

If anyone can shed any light in this it would be great, i have a clymer manual and it does not mention this dowel either just the 2 locating ones
Sounds like the PO thought he knew more about engines than he did. My bike currently burns lots of oil (3/4 to full quart every hundred miles). I've already replaced the valve seals months ago and it didn't change much. My next step will be honing the cylinder, replacing rings, upgrading the piston.
With the heat and damage caused from seizing an engine, don't be surprised if it burns oil. You may have to take the same path I will be doing.
Before you get the heads back on, I would recommend inspecting the cylinder wall with a light for heat...damage....warpage (there's a term for that). Your story sounds like "dropped valve, shitty mechanic puts dowel in the wrong place, runs it anyway, aaaand seize." It's been a while since I've had mine apart so hopefully some of these guys can confirm. A picture of the dowel in question would help LOTS.

Oh and the only place that needs RTV is along the valve cover.
Anonawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:21 PM   #16657
thump!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonawesome View Post
Oh and the only place that needs RTV is along the valve cover.
Seized 4 stroke = start over.

Yamabond 4 or Hondabond 4 lasts much better than RTV. It's what they use at the dealer's shop. It really is superior.
thump! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:51 PM   #16658
juda5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewax View Post

That link is not working, so I can't see which pin you are referring to, but there are several locating pins which are supposed to be hollow - Part #: 04211-13189 for instance. If one of those were replaced by a solid pin, that would be trouble...
juda5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:09 PM   #16659
coonass35
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangwagz View Post
Looks like it works good to me. How is the light output? Now just to see how long it will last but for 40 bucks you can't complain.
coonass35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:00 PM   #16660
Anonawesome
Scenic Rider

Oddometer: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump! View Post

Yamabond 4 or Hondabond 4 lasts much better than RTV. It's what they use at the dealer's shop. It really is superior.
Probably, but I've never had a problem with the high temp stuff, and I usually only use it once before the whole tube dries up.
Anonawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:23 PM   #16661
Rich667
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump! View Post

+1. 99% of the time if you seize a 4 stroke pretty much everything has been overheated and destroyed. I would tear that whole motor apart and replace just about everything or maybe get another motor. I use hondabond or threebond (im sure yamabond is just as good.) and would recommend it to anyone.
Rich667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:23 PM   #16662
jackanory
I am Jack's wasted life

Oddometer: 459
Took the DR out for a little spin around the neighborhood today. Took a break next to this little containment pond.

Decided I wanted to get up to that rocky peak. Found a promising road...

Made it!

The view was amazing. 360 degrees, see for miles in every direction. There was a nice breeze up there so I hung out for awhile and watched the hawks riding the thermals. Pretty cool area to have in your backyard.
jackanory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:51 AM   #16663
swoody126
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
the tree fiddies sure can take you to some pretty country

thanks for taking us along

shiny side up

sw
Old 07-14-2013, 06:11 AM   #16664
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,583
It's with a heavy heart that I must sell this little beauty, so here is my shameless plug

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=903433

Old 07-14-2013, 06:51 AM   #16665
swoody126
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo2002 View Post
It's with a heavy heart that I must sell this little beauty, so here is my shameless plug

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=903433

sorry 'bout your miss-fortune

i think i would sell my WEE strom b4 selling my '99 TREE FIDDY

hope she finds a good home

sw