Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2013, 10:56 AM   #16666
markk900
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackanory View Post
Took the DR out for a little spin around the neighborhood today. Took a break next to this little containment pond.

Decided I wanted to get up to that rocky peak. Found a promising road...

Made it!

The view was amazing. 360 degrees, see for miles in every direction. There was a nice breeze up there so I hung out for awhile and watched the hawks riding the thermals. Pretty cool area to have in your backyard.
One word: jealous. I envy you guys with decent scenery so close to home. We have wonderful roads and scenery in Ontario - just takes some time to get to them so you have to plan a trip rather than just go spur of the moment.
markk900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:12 PM   #16667
markk900
Gnarly Adventurer

The above ride photos ticked me off because I was jealous, so I went out for a 20-30 mile ride of my own, through lovely rolling corn and soy fields. Bike ran great, it's freaking hot out (for us anyway) so it was a little toasty, but I feel better now. Sorry, no photos - forgot the camera.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:58 PM   #16668
WeeMcD
V-Strom explorer

Oddometer: 429
Oil Leak Help

The DR sprung a leak. Perhaps even two leaks. 1. oil coming out where hose enters cyclinder 2. seems to be leaking from seal at bottom of the crankcase near the kick starter. I pulled the case off and have new gasket on order including new o-rings for the oil hose up front. Is there anything I should look at/consider while I have the clutch exposed?

"When all else fails get a bigger hammer."
WeeMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:45 PM   #16669
jackanory
I am Jack's wasted life

Oddometer: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeMcD View Post
The DR sprung a leak. Perhaps even two leaks. 1. oil coming out where hose enters cyclinder 2. seems to be leaking from seal at bottom of the crankcase near the kick starter. I pulled the case off and have new gasket on order including new o-rings for the oil hose up front. Is there anything I should look at/consider while I have the clutch exposed?
Shift drum bolt
jackanory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:46 PM   #16670
jackanory
I am Jack's wasted life

Oddometer: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk900 View Post
The above ride photos ticked me off because I was jealous, so I went out for a 20-30 mile ride of my own, through lovely rolling corn and soy fields. Bike ran great, it's freaking hot out (for us anyway) so it was a little toasty, but I feel better now. Sorry, no photos - forgot the camera.
I love riding through farm country!
jackanory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:49 PM   #16671
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk900 View Post
One word: jealous. I envy you guys with decent scenery so close to home. We have wonderful roads and scenery in Ontario - just takes some time to get to them so you have to plan a trip rather than just go spur of the moment.
Same geography here in West MI....flat, straight roads with lots of corn and soy beans. An elevation change more than 50 feet would be nice once in a while.

Beats fighting traffic in L.A. though.

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:46 PM   #16672
mr_ed
Toolbag

Oddometer: 148
So this has probably been answered before...I just want to make sure before I pull the trigger...

An Acerbis 4.25 tank for a DR350 fill fit, no matter if its a dirt model, dual sport, e start, etc, correct?
Old 07-14-2013, 07:05 PM   #16673
Suzuki Phil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 615
If I remember that dowel is to direct oil to the proper place. Without it don't look for the your engine to last too long.

When I did my top end last year I had everything buttoned up and found the same dowel underneath my parts bin. At first I was going to leave it out but then looked at the fiche and decided it had to go back in. Disassemble the top end again. It's always faster the second time around anyway :).

SP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewax View Post
I have bought a Electric Start DR350 with an engine that had seized, took it apart replaced barrel & piston with good secondhand ebay items, to find out it originally must have had a bore kit on it as the original barrel & piston is bigger, also the bike must have previously dropped a valve as there is old damage to the cylinder head, and someone had put the valve springs on the wrong way round on that one replaced valve.

Anyway my main question here is wondering why it seized in the first place, im about to put the cylinder head back on repaired, but i cant work out why there is a locating dowel that covers up the oil feed in to the cylinder head ? although its clearly shown as item no 7 on this diagram, http://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-dr350-19...1.html#results , this dowel is also shorter than the other 2 in the head, if the dowel is in and i blow through the hole air comes out 1 of the cylinder head holes ? how does the oil supply the camshaft & top of the motor, is this right ? also there was loads of silicone sealant all round the main cylinder head bolts ?, im trying to figure out was the motor seized due to being run low on oil or oil starvation. i don't trust the whoever put the motor back together as it was also missing one of the locating dowels on the bottom of the barrel to crankcases !

If anyone can shed any light in this it would be great, i have a clymer manual and it does not mention this dowel either just the 2 locating ones
Old 07-15-2013, 01:23 AM   #16674
The Jester
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_ed View Post
So this has probably been answered before...I just want to make sure before I pull the trigger...

An Acerbis 4.25 tank for a DR350 fill fit, no matter if its a dirt model, dual sport, e start, etc, correct?
Acerbis tank fits the street model with the tank mushrooms, not the dirt model where the front of the tank mounts with 2 bolts. Some riders have made brackets to hold the mushrooms for the front of the tank on dirt models.

The Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:16 AM   #16675
Anonawesome
Scenic Rider

Oddometer: 1,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jester View Post
Acerbis tank fits the street model with the tank mushrooms, not the dirt model where the front of the tank mounts with 2 bolts. Some riders have made brackets to hold the mushrooms for the front of the tank on dirt models.
My street model fit with the rubber mounts going through the engine mount. Does the tank interfere with brackets on the dirt model or am I missing something?
Anonawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:22 AM   #16676
markk900
Gnarly Adventurer

+1 - Acerbis tank comes with its own donuts that mount to stalks attached to 2 of the engine head mount bolts. I know on the street and thought on the dirt model you remove the OEM mounts. Rear mounting points are the same on all models I believe.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:27 AM   #16677
Anonawesome
Scenic Rider

Oddometer: 1,202
Plus, you've got the SE. You've got nuthin to worry about.

Oh, except fuel line routing. I think the best way seems to be a T coming up off your carb, one line to the left side, and the other line behind your carb (above the intake boot). With a couple zip ties I think it's the best way to get all of the fuel without getting too close to hot stuff.
Anonawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:44 AM   #16678
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeMcD View Post
When I went chasing an oil leak on my DR, it was not coming from where it initially appeared too be. Hopefully you have done a better job identifying the true source.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:23 AM   #16679
thewax
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonawesome View Post
Sounds like the PO thought he knew more about engines than he did. My bike currently burns lots of oil (3/4 to full quart every hundred miles). I've already replaced the valve seals months ago and it didn't change much. My next step will be honing the cylinder, replacing rings, upgrading the piston.
With the heat and damage caused from seizing an engine, don't be surprised if it burns oil. You may have to take the same path I will be doing.
Before you get the heads back on, I would recommend inspecting the cylinder wall with a light for heat...damage....warpage (there's a term for that). Your story sounds like "dropped valve, shitty mechanic puts dowel in the wrong place, runs it anyway, aaaand seize." It's been a while since I've had mine apart so hopefully some of these guys can confirm. A picture of the dowel in question would help LOTS.

Oh and the only place that needs RTV is along the valve cover.
Hiya well i bit the bullet and put it back together as per the microfiche here http://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-dr350-19...1.html#results not sure why this link did not work before, ? the dowels are hollow, i lapped the valves in, and did the valve stem seals, the second hand barrel and piston were in good nick, new gaskets and o rings, and she runs a treat ! i ran it without the rocker covers on to check its getting oil up there, and its fine.

The dowel in question fits flush inside the cylinder head its not a locating dowel,i think its there to push the oil round the cylinder head to the other side ? don't know for sure just a guess but its clearly shown on the parts microfiche, its shorter than the 2 locating ones, it came out so it went back in. have to take it out for a spin and see how it goes
thewax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:26 AM   #16680
thewax
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuki Phil View Post
If I remember that dowel is to direct oil to the proper place. Without it don't look for the your engine to last too long.

When I did my top end last year I had everything buttoned up and found the same dowel underneath my parts bin. At first I was going to leave it out but then looked at the fiche and decided it had to go back in. Disassemble the top end again. It's always faster the second time around anyway :).

SP

Cheers for the info, i put it back together with it in, i came to the same conclusion it came out so it went back in, all seems ok so far
thewax is offline   Reply With Quote