Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2013, 09:25 AM   #16726
David_viny
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilliamshs View Post
Chain guard on swingarm is plastic, not metal.
Corrected :)

Also I need the speedometer cable loop thing that goes on the front forks
David_viny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:46 PM   #16727
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by veriest1 View Post
Yep, '97, street model, acerbis tank, 2200 miles, with brand new Pirelli Scorpion tires front and rear, and Xtrasoft suspension.

I had a DRZ400 for a while and, overall, I think I'm liking this 350 better. The 6th gear makes the difference. It doesn't seem as vibey on the highway but it falls flat on its face over 8k rpm's. I'd say it has a "flat spot" but the whole powerband feels flat compared to my pumpkin. I figure it's just the nature of the beast.

PO said it had never been off road and it was clean enough for that to be true. However, I remedied that within minutes of owning it.

Now I need suspension, bar risers, lower pegs, and basic power mods.

Sent from my HTC using magic.
I had a '97 for a while and a buddy of mine has a '96 now. Gotta love the Barbie colors

Yes, farkling is necessary and fun. My wife keeps asking me how much more this $1500 motorcycle going to cost. She calls it the money pit :)

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:03 PM   #16728
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 2,203
Yep, 1500 here too. Great bike for the money. If it could just get the front up a little easier on dirt I'd be pretty pleased. Pavement is easy. I think a D606 on the back would help.

I took her out for a spin and to see what the river was doing for our upcoming Roll the Bones Rally. The rain we got has the Brazos up about 2 feet but there's no flow. The lake looked a little higher than that yesterday.

Prior to that I stuck a drz lense on the back and removed 3.8 lbs of subframe from the subframe. How they thought that design up I'll never know.

Sent from my HTC using magic.
veriest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:37 PM   #16729
mustangwagz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_viny View Post

i MIGHT have that loop for ya. let me look and see this evening.

Also, i too bought mine for 1500 with 4500 miles on it...ive spend more than that on farkles and basic stuff so far..lol my ole lady bitches EVERY time i get more stuff for it...Wait till i buy suspension stuff, shes gonna SHIT! Bahahahahaha

My attempt to roundup Local Riders..
https://www.facebook.com/dualsportridingwesternpa
mustangwagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:43 PM   #16730
markk900
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_viny View Post

I left this off years ago and never worried about it. Not necessary, and something to snag on passing branches....(which is why I took it off in the first place - or should I say why it was removed in the first place! :) )
markk900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:22 PM   #16731
LoopGaroo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Trying to gain wattage

I've got a '91 Dirt DR, is it possible to install a stator and R/R from a street version? Is it a straight swap? I'd like to get enough juice to run a gps charger (and maybe some better lighting). Anyone know what wattage the stock dirt & street stators turn out? is it 75W/150W?

Another possibility I was thinking about is switching to a LED headlight like the Polisport HMX LED and pair it with a nice LED tail light. Those LEDs should free up a bunch of watts... Any recommendations for a tough tail light?

All I know is that my headlight dims when I step on the brake, so there can't be a whole lot of watts to go around... But I'm reading some conflicting information in the back pages of this thread.
LoopGaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:00 PM   #16732
thump!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,019
The S model charging system will bolt right on. But I think you will need the rotor too. Check the part numbers to be sure. Your wiring harness, however, is completely different. Nothing is plug compatible
thump! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:25 PM   #16733
Anonawesome
Scenic Rider

Oddometer: 1,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopGaroo View Post
I've got a '91 Dirt DR, is it possible to install a stator and R/R from a street version? Is it a straight swap? I'd like to get enough juice to run a gps charger (and maybe some better lighting). Anyone know what wattage the stock dirt & street stators turn out? is it 75W/150W?

Another possibility I was thinking about is switching to a LED headlight like the Polisport HMX LED and pair it with a nice LED tail light. Those LEDs should free up a bunch of watts... Any recommendations for a tough tail light?

All I know is that my headlight dims when I step on the brake, so there can't be a whole lot of watts to go around... But I'm reading some conflicting information in the back pages of this thread.
I switched to LED turn signals a while ago because my headlight dimmed when they were on (also I kept kicking off the rear ones on the stock mounts ) Anyway, if you figure out an LED headlight solution, I would be very interested. As far as a tail light, I don't have it, but this one from dr enduro looks pretty nice. http://doctorenduro.com/index.php?ma...il_brake_light
I have their flush mount turn signals and they look SLICK. The low-profile makes them less likely to get kicked, and I have no doubt they'd be fine if they were.
Anonawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:09 PM   #16734
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,596
About to saddle up my bad little pony and RIDE.

So long you FF.

Till we meet again tomarrow!
Old 07-17-2013, 05:10 PM   #16735
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump! View Post
The S model charging system will bolt right on. But I think you will need the rotor too. Check the part numbers to be sure. Your wiring harness, however, is completely different. Nothing is plug compatible
Something about the output is different too. Somethign to do with DC/AC or is that AC/DC (queue back in black!!)
Old 07-17-2013, 05:24 PM   #16736
thump!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
Something about the output is different too. Somethign to do with DC/AC or is that AC/DC (queue back in black!!)
Yes. The S model creates 12volts (actually about 13.5) DC just like a car. Capacity is somewhere around 150 watts. The off road model creates about 12 volts AC and its lights operate on AC. Capacity is about 70 watts.
thump! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:40 PM   #16737
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopGaroo View Post

I think the street model electrics fit, but pretty sure you gotta have all of it, including the stator cover.... http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=10830

Don't think those LEDs are DOT legal (if you care) and not gonna work right on AC. The diodes are going to pass half of the AC wave and be about half bright. You can get a RR for your dirt AC set up, http://www.procycle.us/dskits/dskit.htm or change it out with the street model system.

2bold2getold screwed with this post 07-17-2013 at 06:11 PM
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:40 PM   #16738
mwilliamshs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Ac/dc

Dirt bikes are alternating current, AC. Alternator (rotor spinning, stator stationary) creates Alternating current. Lighter weight, simpler. No phone charger, gps, etc. Some heated gear seems to work well on this system. Simple resistance-based gear is best for AC.

S and SE are DC with a rectifier. Alternating current is passed through rectifier to become DC and is stored in a battery. Heavier, more convenient and expandable. Phone chargers, GPS, heated gear, even inverters for AC are possible
mwilliamshs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:46 PM   #16739
MadChap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk900 View Post
I left this off years ago and never worried about it. Not necessary, and something to snag on passing branches....(which is why I took it off in the first place - or should I say why it was removed in the first place! :) )

This is one thing I wouldn't leave off. There's a chance, maybe slight, but a chance that the cable would go in instead of out upon fork compression and then catch on the knobbies. It might only cause the cable to be ripped out, but it could cause a front tire lock up which wouldn't be pretty.

Just my $.02
MadChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:14 PM   #16740
shearboy2004
KIWIINUSA

Oddometer: 4,324
Quote:
had a DRZ400 for a while and, overall, I think I'm liking this 350 better. The 6th gear makes the difference. It doesn't seem as vibey on the highway but it falls flat on its face over 8k rpm's. I'd say it has a "flat spot" but the whole powerband feels flat compared to my pumpkin. I figure it's just the nature of the beast.
Yes the DR is a different beast with a totally different nature than pumpkin pie but when the going gets nasty and steep she will still be climbing when the pumpkins have stalled and over heated , they are torque monsters with amazing low rev power to climb.Learn to really enjoy the torque rather than searching for too much more power.
07 Sherco 450 called BLING.
07 Sherco 510 called Holy Shit .
shearboy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote