Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2013, 09:35 PM   #16741
thump!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by madchap View Post
this is one thing i wouldn't leave off. There's a chance, maybe slight, but a chance that the cable would go in instead of out upon fork compression and then catch on the knobbies. It might only cause the cable to be ripped out, but it could cause a front tire lock up which wouldn't be pretty.

Just my $.02
+1
thump! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:48 PM   #16742
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 2,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by shearboy2004 View Post
Yes the DR is a different beast with a totally different nature than pumpkin pie but when the going gets nasty and steep she will still be climbing when the pumpkins have stalled and over heated , they are torque monsters with amazing low rev power to climb.Learn to really enjoy the torque rather than searching for too much more power.
I'm going to do suspension soon. It'd be nice to have enough grunt to throttle the front tire up in second. For that I'm thinking more weight reduction, intake, exhaust, and jetting. Maybe carb?

Everyone says the drz doesn't weigh that much more but my 350 feels noticeably lighter than my drz did.

Sent from my HTC using magic.
veriest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:38 AM   #16743
The Jester
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 816
assistance required

I recently purchased a 91 dirt model as a non runner. Previous owner assured me that it had been running well before the spark died. Interesting thing was a vinyl tank cover printed with DR441.

After a bit of head scratching and poking round with a multi meter I replaced the source coil which turned out to a different size and resistance. With the correct coil fitted she sparked right up. I also had a look down the spark plug hole and noticed a spotlessly clean piston and valves. The parts were either new or just been stripped and cleaned . From comparing pics of pistons it does appear to be an overbore.

This week I took it for its first proper shakedown run and all was going well until I heard a clatter from the kick start. I'm not sure whether the engine lost power at this point as I immediately released the throttle and pulled the clutch. The engine stopped.

Getting off the bike I found the kick start lever was jammed but freed off after rocking the bike back and forth in gear. Since I had to get home I tried to start the bike but it wouldn't go. The bike would fire when bumped down a hill but not run.

I now have the bike home and the cover off. Observations:

Draining the oil - no oil in the frame. Engine oil looked pretty clear but had traces of metal particles in the oil round the filter.

The kick start spring guide has a couple of chunks out of it. No sign of them yet.

Bottom of the timing chain seems a bit slack. Not hanging loose but I am able to move it. I'm used to these being fairly tight.

Thoughts:

The engine has recently been rebuilt but they installed the wrong pulse coil and couldn't get it running. What else have they bodged? Was the spring guide already buggered?

No oil in the tank - has the scavenger pump ingested some debris and seized?

Timing chain - has the timing jumped a tooth? bent valves?

I have the ability to tear the motor apart if I have to, and the time since I recently lost a job but this also means very limited cash. Obviously I don't want to pull anything apart if I don't need to.

Any advice gratefully received.

Cheers.

The Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:38 AM   #16744
WeeMcD
V-Strom explorer

Oddometer: 437
Trick to installing kickstart/clutch cover

An oil leak required the removal of the clutch cover and kickstart on my '91 DR350S. Does anyone have a trick or two for making the installation of these parts easier? I pulled it all off as one piece, leaving the kickstart attached to the cover. Would it be better to separate the two elements for installation?

"When all else fails get a bigger hammer."
WeeMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:50 AM   #16745
smokee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
OK , so I'm thinking about a 94 SE ,
I know a guy with 2 dirt , parts bikes , 90 + 92
I figure to use the rear shock from the 92 on the 94 SE
Are the dirt forks (92) any better than the 94 SE forks ?
Or are all the forks the same untill 97 dirt + 98-99 SE + dirt
To be more precise , which forks would be best if I was going to revalve anyhow ? Or at that point does it even matter ?

ALSO
Can I use the kick start parts from the 90 + 92 in the 94SE + my 99SE
if I buy the 94 up idler gear ?

Plus I would have 2 pumper conversions , heh heh
smokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:59 AM   #16746
The Jester
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeMcD View Post
An oil leak required the removal of the clutch cover and kickstart on my '91 DR350S. Does anyone have a trick or two for making the installation of these parts easier? I pulled it all off as one piece, leaving the kickstart attached to the cover. Would it be better to separate the two elements for installation?
You need to install the kick start first. There is a locating hole in the crankcase to insert the end of the kick start spring. Once that is all in place you can offer up the cover.

The Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:28 PM   #16747
Ghostyman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeMcD View Post
You will need to separate the cover and kickstarter. Once you do, install the kickstarter gear first and then feed the shaft through the cover. It's pretty simple. Make sure you haven't lost any of the washers on the kickstarter gear as well.

The toughest part when I did mine was getting the kicker lever off the shaft. It's a splined fit but if it hasn't been removed for a while, it can be tough. I ended up using a gear puller.

Double check your shift drum bolt.

Ghostyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:27 PM   #16748
mwilliamshs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokee View Post
OK , so I'm thinking about a 94 SE ,
I know a guy with 2 dirt , parts bikes , 90 + 92
I figure to use the rear shock from the 92 on the 94 SE
Are the dirt forks (92) any better than the 94 SE forks ?
Or are all the forks the same untill 97 dirt + 98-99 SE + dirt
To be more precise , which forks would be best if I was going to revalve anyhow ? Or at that point does it even matter ?

ALSO
Can I use the kick start parts from the 90 + 92 in the 94SE + my 99SE
if I buy the 94 up idler gear ?

Plus I would have 2 pumper conversions , heh heh

Also curious about this. Primarily the differences in rear shocks from dirt to street and year to year.
mwilliamshs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:47 PM   #16749
Suzuki Phil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
Street shock: Dampening adjustment, shorter spring.

Dirt shock: Dampening and rebound adjustment, longer spring.

I'm not sure if due to the spring length differences if there is a difference in body length or collar length. Dirt shock is stiffer then street shock.

SP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilliamshs View Post

Also curious about this. Primarily the differences in rear shocks from dirt to street and year to year.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:16 PM   #16750
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilliamshs View Post

I have a write up on max zuk

http://www.maximum-suzuki.com/forums...ic=85682.0;all

the S shock is valved softer. SE's are also shorter resulting in only 10 inches of travel vs 11 of the dirt and early S shocks.
MrPulldown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:24 PM   #16751
WeeMcD
V-Strom explorer

Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jester View Post
You need to install the kick start first.
I had a feelling this was going to be the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostyman View Post
The toughest part when I did mine was getting the kicker lever off the shaft. It's a splined fit but if it hasn't been removed for a while, it can be tough. I ended up using a gear puller.
Couldn't get my kicker off the shaft to save my soul. Working with limited tools... my garage and most of my house is in storage right now. Might have to go pick up a gear puller on way home from work tonight.

Quote:
Double check your shift drum bolt.
Did my best on this one already. I might pull the clutch basket to get a better angle for checking this out.

Quote:
Make sure you haven't lost any of the washers on the kickstarter gear as well.
I have the washer that goes on the engine side of the shaft. That bugger wouldn't stay on in my attempt at a combined shaft/cover installation.

Thanks for all of you help.

"When all else fails get a bigger hammer."
WeeMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:25 PM   #16752
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,575
pulling starter lever

i tapped it off with a sledge & wooden dowel from left side iirc
plugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:02 PM   #16753
AST236
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,005
Name this carb!

Looking at a '94 DR w/ this carb installed. Is this the pumper carb (no longer have detail photo's of my old bike w/ pumper on it)?

I don't like sand.
AST236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:05 PM   #16754
AST236
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,005
Name this carb, part 2.....

This is the other carb that comes w/ the bike. I'm thinking one may be the stock CV unit and the other the TM33 pumper.....any help appreciated.

I don't like sand.
AST236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:16 PM   #16755
fossriver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Who wants a mustache ride?

I Dressed up my DR350 for Backfire moto night in Ballard last night. I had to try and fit in with all the cafe racers. I think I am finally happy with the jetting. I rode her around last night at sea level, and from to 1200 to 4500 feet today. Felt great in all rpm's at all elevations:). I have a 99 se model with the pumper carb. Running a 150 main, 3x4 air box with screen removed, and a white brothers e series pipe with 12! discs in it. That's all the discs I have, hopefully I won't need any more because they seem impossible to find.

fossriver is offline   Reply With Quote