Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2013, 02:12 AM   #17551
Anonawesome
Scenic Rider

Oddometer: 1,225
If it is easily removed, it probably is bad. It should take a little pressure to take out/in.

-"I wouldn't trade one stupid decision for another five years of life."
Anonawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:39 AM   #17552
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,230
Which weight fork oil do you guys use?

'93 dirt model... I ride in rocks.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:36 AM   #17553
thump!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jester View Post
Anybody know if there were any differences between the clutch on the older kick only bikes and the newer E start?
The clutch basket gear changed in 1994. They are not interchangeable unless you also change the primary gear on the crankshaft.
thump! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:08 AM   #17554
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
I've been able to source them and have them in stock.

Regards,

Derek
Awesome! Where might be your store?

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:16 AM   #17555
daverbmxer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
So I was down near a river in the bottom of a gorge yesterday and a suddenly rain storm came in, turning the clay to a mud that you cannot even walk on. So I had to ride over a mile up a steep rutted gorge with a passenger on 50/50 tires. Wound up dropping the bike 6 or 7 times.

One of those times I broke my clutch lever and another really tweaked the front end. Are all clutch levers created equally? Any recommendations? I'm hoping to get something with a longer pull (more of a bend?) since I only have a very small sweet spot in the adjustment where the clutch won't slip and it changes gears without issue.

As for the front end, I'm not sure what to do. I have never had to deal with it before.. all I know is that the handlebars are not bent. But the bars and the fender are at a different angle from the tire. Is there an adjustment clamp that I can loosen, move, then retighten to straighten it all up?
daverbmxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:38 AM   #17556
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by daverbmxer View Post
So I was down near a river in the bottom of a gorge yesterday and a suddenly rain storm came in, turning the clay to a mud that you cannot even walk on. So I had to ride over a mile up a steep rutted gorge with a passenger on 50/50 tires. Wound up dropping the bike 6 or 7 times.

One of those times I broke my clutch lever and another really tweaked the front end. Are all clutch levers created equally? Any recommendations? I'm hoping to get something with a longer pull (more of a bend?) since I only have a very small sweet spot in the adjustment where the clutch won't slip and it changes gears without issue.

As for the front end, I'm not sure what to do. I have never had to deal with it before.. all I know is that the handlebars are not bent. But the bars and the fender are at a different angle from the tire. Is there an adjustment clamp that I can loosen, move, then retighten to straighten it all up?
Yep, tweaked forks are usually not a big problem. Just loosen the triple clamp bolts a little (not too much or it will fall in the clamps and you will have to jack it up) and straighten (bang the tire on a rock/wall, etc) them. Kinda like you use to do your old bicycle when you let it go flying instead of parking it nicely.

2bold2getold screwed with this post 08-25-2013 at 02:09 PM
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:39 AM   #17557
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarale View Post
Did you replace the valve/needle and seat? The rubberized part of the needle can look ok but be totally dried or worn out and not seal correctly.
Replacing the float needle is good advice, but there is generally nothing that can go wrong with the seat except getting dirty (it can be cleaned easily in an ultrasonic bath, by submerging in carb cleaner, or with a cotton swab dipped in contact cleaner).

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:40 AM   #17558
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfleck View Post
I got the seal but the valve itself does not look so good so ill see if jesse can send me one monday.
Does this mean there is something being called a "kit" that does not contain the float needle?

Regards,

Derek
Old 08-25-2013, 09:45 AM   #17559
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Bender View Post
Awesome! Where might be your store?
Hello Greg,

I don't have a store yet, but I have some parts listed at http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528038. Most of it is for the BST40, but as I'm sure you already know, there is quite a bit of crossover to the BST33 (see item SUZ0111100002 for instance). I also stock BST33 slide guides.

Regards,

Derek
Old 08-25-2013, 01:34 PM   #17560
juda5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump! View Post
The clutch basket gear changed in 1994. They are not interchangeable unless you also change the primary gear on the crankshaft.
I am currently running a kicker assembly from a 92 S model on an e-start 94 bottom end. I can confirm that the clutch basket to primary gear is not interchangeable, but the kicker gear is.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4
juda5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:59 PM   #17561
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,937
I ended up with an extra no load flash relay. Works with LED turn signals or ones with less than stock wattage. Plug and play. Even mounts to the stock location. Slightly larger than stock. $8 shipped.
Pm me if interested.
MrPulldown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:54 PM   #17562
DR350seKING
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
rpms stay up

lately my rpms will not go down when I pull in the clutch they stay at 4000 and slowly fall when I come to a complete stop sometimes letting the clutch out sometimes helps. any ideas
DR350seKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:47 PM   #17563
thump!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR350seKING View Post
lately my rpms will not go down when I pull in the clutch they stay at 4000 and slowly fall when I come to a complete stop sometimes letting the clutch out sometimes helps. any ideas
First thing to do is determine that the cable is allowing the bell crank on the carb to actually return to the stop. Or, it might just be that your idle speed is set too high. Sometimes an air leak will cause this behavior. Another possibility is a worn slide, particularly if you're running the TM33.

thump! screwed with this post 08-25-2013 at 06:07 PM
thump! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:10 PM   #17564
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,689
Old 08-25-2013, 06:13 PM   #17565
daverbmxer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
My bike does that hanging idle thing too once warm if I have the thumb turnable idle adjustment up too high. It won't take much.. once warm if set at 1500 rpm it will return as soon as you dump the throttle. If it's set a bit higher at like 2000 rpm, it will hang around 4000 for a couple seconds.

Kinda sucks when I have it set for 1500 rpm when it's not up to temp (and not hanging then) . Then once warm it hangs.
daverbmxer is offline   Reply With Quote