User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2007, 04:49 PM   #181
Frosty60
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Talking

Today I bought my first motorcycle ever. A 1993 DR 350, 4 thousand miles, owned by a doctor who never rode it (but tells me he started it often.) He bought literally thousands of dollars of probably unneeded replacement parts. It has new tires, brake pads, master cylinder, throttle cable, oil, lube, and came with two helmets (which I do not plan on using), unworn Fox riding boots, and a jersey and pants. On top of all this, he drove it a hundred miles (I paid for gas) in his truck, and bought me lunch.

I paid $1100 for the bike and gear, and $50 for gas. His best offer was $1500, but he tells me that I had first pick since I was the first one to express interest.

Today was a good day.

I plan on a long and happy career of safe adventuring. Wish me luck.
Frosty60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 05:49 PM   #182
snare
sittin and breathin

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot
Aftermarket ones hold up much better I've used Cycra and FMF and Moose with good luck - always the type with the aluminum bar and plastic wind deflector that attaches to the aluminum bit.
I hear ya, and I wish I could get a set, I sure do, but I can't really afford those right now.

Don't own a car and I'm going to be commuting this winter, 25 miles down from the mountains to Asheville. My hands have been frozen. I have ordered the Symtec grip heaters and a Powerlet (Warm and Safe) jacket with controller that should be here next week, but I just don't think I can afford the handguards right now. So I was thinking the stock ones would at least help with the wind.

I need riding pants and a new helmet (a friend gave me an old one that has duct tape holding the bottom molding together, I have no idea how old it is and it needs a shield).

So, just trying to low buck it for now.

Thanks for all the info though. You have always been very helpful and that carb is working great. Thanks for that.

snare screwed with this post 11-03-2007 at 06:54 PM
snare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 05:51 PM   #183
snare
sittin and breathin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty60
Today I bought my first motorcycle ever. A 1993 DR 350, 4 thousand miles, owned by a doctor who never rode it (but tells me he started it often.) He bought literally thousands of dollars of probably unneeded replacement parts. It has new tires, brake pads, master cylinder, throttle cable, oil, lube, and came with two helmets (which I do not plan on using), unworn Fox riding boots, and a jersey and pants. On top of all this, he drove it a hundred miles (I paid for gas) in his truck, and bought me lunch.

I paid $1100 for the bike and gear, and $50 for gas. His best offer was $1500, but he tells me that I had first pick since I was the first one to express interest.

Today was a good day.

Sweet!

Have fun, sounds like a great deal. Post pics when you can.

Old 11-03-2007, 06:44 PM   #184
meck13
Esq.

Oddometer: 80
Sweet!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty60
Today was a good day.

Good Luck. Sounds to me like you got a sweet deal. WELCOME to the asylum, the inmates are helpful so if you get into trouble just ask.

07 Yamaha Venture
88 KLR 650
97 DR 350se
meck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 07:21 PM   #185
meck13
Esq.

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by snare
I have half of a set from an old KLR. Right side. Will send if you want it. Will try to add pic but if it does not show I can email a couple pictures.
Attached Images

07 Yamaha Venture
88 KLR 650
97 DR 350se
meck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 07:41 PM   #186
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Oddometer: 28,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixels
Well? How'd ya like it? Inquiring minds, ya know...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5618557
Old 11-03-2007, 08:03 PM   #187
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,206
Quote:
I hear ya, and I wish I could get a set, I sure do, but I can't really afford those right now.

Don't own a car and I'm going to be commuting this winter, 25 miles down from the mountains to Asheville. My hands have been frozen. I have ordered the Symtec grip heaters and a Powerlet (Warm and Safe) jacket with controller that should be here next week, but I just don't think I can afford the handguards right now. So I was thinking the stock ones would at least help with the wind.

I need riding pants and a new helmet (a friend gave me an old one that has duct tape holding the bottom molding together, I have no idea how old it is and it needs a shield).

Thanks for all the info though. You have always been very helpful and that carb is working great. Thanks for that.
Sounds good. I commuted year round for the last several years in northern va (100 miles a day). Its more mild in NC, but still you'll want some waterproof pants, jacket and gloves and do spend the $$ for a good helmet. Safty gear really is woth the cash and will more than pay for itself sooner or later.

I usually wore lightly insulated, waterproof pants and boots and and jacket with a heated vest and heated grips. I also had pretty heavily insulated, waterproof gloves which helped a lot in the winter. If your fingers are freezing now you need warmer glvoes big time! check out www.newenough.com and www.motorcyclecloseouts.com and www.deniskirk.com as all three tend to have really good sales from time to time.

good luck and have fun!

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 08:58 PM   #188
snare
sittin and breathin

FYI we have had temps in the 20s (early mornings) here at my place already this week.

Old 11-03-2007, 10:53 PM   #189
neepuk
Such a drag...

Oddometer: 1,541
Lowered 350se???

Any short people out there riding a 350se? My lady and I are checking one out tomorrw that's got a lower corbin seat, 7500 miles and is mostly stock. We're looking at it for her and wondering just how tall these bikes are. Are there any ladies out there on the 350? Seen any lowered 350's? How low can they go without making huge suspension sacrifice?
neepuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 05:36 AM   #190
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,206
Quote:
FYI we have had temps in the 20s (early mornings) here at my place already this week.
Wow, didn't know it was that cold there already - we are talking deg F right? It hasn't even gotten into the 30's yet here in the boston area:)

neepuk, they are a bit shorter than most full size dual sports. My wife is 5'6" and rides a stock DR without issue.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 05:44 AM   #191
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,638
Quote:
Anyone have any of the stock handguards (the ones that are plastic only) that they wish to be charitable with to help a poor brother out this winter?

My hands are freezing and I think these would help block some of the wind.

And do the stock DR650 handguards work?

thanks!
Snare, I have a pair of black ones off my '99 DR350SE. I don't plan to ever use them. Send me a PM with your shipping address and I'll get them on their way to you. FWIW, I have Moose bark busters on my DR and, with temps in the low 30s, they haven't been much help. In other words, my fingers are still cold, after an eight mile ride, while wearing Icon Barrier (supposedly for 'cool' temps) gloves. As BP said, some warmer gloves would be a big help.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 05:49 AM   #192
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by neepuk
Any short people out there riding a 350se? My lady and I are checking one out tomorrw that's got a lower corbin seat, 7500 miles and is mostly stock. We're looking at it for her and wondering just how tall these bikes are. Are there any ladies out there on the 350? Seen any lowered 350's? How low can they go without making huge suspension sacrifice?
There are Kouba Links to lower the rear suspension. You can go as much as 2". You'll need to lower the front forks the same amount. However, you may need to get risers for the front bars as there may not be 2" between the tops of the forks and the bars themselves. That said, my wife had trouble with her (ex-)DR250 with the 2" lowering links. She's 5'4" but with a rather short inseam (30"). Her DR had the stock seat. The Corbin will help some.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 06:05 AM   #193
snare
sittin and breathin

Quote:
Originally Posted by neepuk
I am 5' 4" and wear a 30" inseam pant leg. I rode my stock DR350 for a month before I decided it would be best for me (I am a new rider) to get the Kouba links ( the #3). I ordered them from http://kientech.com/ (you need to call them as the links are not on the site I believe). More info about the links here http://www.koubalink.com/ .

I did not need bar risers when I moved the forks. Install was easy and took me about 30 minutes.

I highly recommend it, and you can always return the bike to stock if the rider wants to change back or for resale and the links can then be resold too.

Old 11-04-2007, 06:11 AM   #194
snare
sittin and breathin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot
Wow, didn't know it was that cold there already - we are talking deg F right? It hasn't even gotten into the 30's yet here in the boston area:)

neepuk, they are a bit shorter than most full size dual sports. My wife is 5'6" and rides a stock DR without issue.
According to accuweather.com it is 33*'s here right now, but that is down in the center of town.

It seems to be about 5*'s colder up in the cove where I live.

And yes, I am talking Fahrenheit

Old 11-04-2007, 07:54 AM   #195
Spat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 848
Bought a 90 350s for my wife and got the kouba links #2, 1-1/2"(?) and dropped the front 3/4", a very easy mod. Shortened it enough to make her comfortable and more confident. The suspension is a bit bouncey and will bottom out easier this way I am told but works for her because she won't be getting into any real rough stuff. She may fool me thou then we will look into the other shock and fork modification.
The Norm form Kouba Link was very quicky to reply to messages and got the product to me pronto. I wished more people and companies took that sort of approach to business. No affiliation just a satified customer .

Red Green: You ever see one of these? It's called a GPS, this thing uses satellites to tell you where you are, which means that every man can have a five-hundred-dollar reason not to ask for directions.
Spat is offline   Reply With Quote