User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2007, 07:28 AM   #226
kobudo28
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,860
93 Dr350

I have found a 93 DR350 for sale and I am trying to get some more info on it from the seller this AM, mileage and stuff like that. It apears to be bone stock. From what I can find on line, other than colors etc, there does not seem to be much difference from year to year. Is that about right? Other then the usual wear and tear and age type of stuff you would expect to see on a 93, is there anyting in particular on the DR that I should watch for?

I'm not a high speed enduro rider, just looking for a mount that will allow me to improve my off road skills and stay screwed together. The DR350 seems to be a workable solution for me.

I got outbid on two 99 DR350's on Flea-Bay (one from a member here on ADV, how it ended up on flea-bay I'll never know) so I am still looking. I am pretty surprised at how much money these bikes bring, but other then the new DRZ400 there really isn't much in that size in the DS class.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:41 AM   #227
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,243
The only real change is that in 94 I think they went to electric start - the 93 will be kick-start only. In 98 the supension was improved, otherwise dual sport DR350's are all the same. They are a good, solid, reliable bike. Not high performance by any means, but the sort of thing that will go anywhere and do anything provided you aren't in a hurry - great for dual sport work. If you want an off road bike there are many better (non streetworthy) options like a KDX200 for example. IMHO if you want to really work on off road sklills it would be best to do it on an off road bike rather than a dual sport. The difference in weight, suspension and crashworthyness is not insignificant. If you want to stick with a dual sport and want to be able to do fairly serious off road work a DR350 is a great way to go:)

have fun

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 08:00 AM   #228
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Oddometer: 28,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot
..... .....
Cambrige, huh?
I have some family up that way.. the name Shirtleff ring a bell?
Old 11-25-2007, 08:23 AM   #229
kobudo28
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot
The only real change is that in 94 I think they went to electric start - the 93 will be kick-start only. In 98 the supension was improved, otherwise dual sport DR350's are all the same. They are a good, solid, reliable bike. Not high performance by any means, but the sort of thing that will go anywhere and do anything provided you aren't in a hurry - great for dual sport work. If you want an off road bike there are many better (non streetworthy) options like a KDX200 for example. IMHO if you want to really work on off road sklills it would be best to do it on an off road bike rather than a dual sport. The difference in weight, suspension and crashworthyness is not insignificant. If you want to stick with a dual sport and want to be able to do fairly serious off road work a DR350 is a great way to go:)

have fun
Thanks for the good info. I didn't know about the kick only on the 93. I am looking at a DS instead of an off road only because a good number of my rides will be paved to dirt roads then trail then back to dirt roads, etc. With a DS I can ride from my house and not be forced to truck or trailer my bike somewhere to ride it. I do not need anything with lot's of power, just something capable so I think the DR is the right bike. I would prefer e-start, (bad right knee) but I am guessing they don't kick all that hard once you get the hang of it.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:00 PM   #230
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,652
So I'm kinda looking for a DR350 or a XR400....I like the idea of the 6 speed in the DR. Are the two pretty comparable? I'll be using it for mostly dirt, I suspect.

It will really come down to finding a good deal....

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 02:31 PM   #231
JoshDR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Guess I just joined the 350 crew
JoshDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 02:37 PM   #232
kobudo28
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke
So I'm kinda looking for a DR350 or a XR400....I like the idea of the 6 speed in the DR. Are the two pretty comparable? I'll be using it for mostly dirt, I suspect.

I have found, at least around NE, that you can by and XR for the same price (or less) then a DR350. The only advantage that I can see so far to the DR is that it is turn key with regard to being street legal everywhere. The XR will require a $500 Baja Designs kit to make it legal everywhere. A guy in Cornish, Maine has a '97 with 7K+ on the odo and street tire on the back and he is firm at $2750. I can buy a stock 2000 XR for less and I have seen DRZ400's for that price as well.

I have been rolling these two back and forth in my mind. The DR interests me as it is "turn key" legal where the XR is not (is in NH though). The DRZ400 is also in the running.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:55 PM   #233
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke

They are sorta similar in basic design but fairly different bikes in practice. The XR400 is faster, lighter and much better suspended while the DR is much more mellow. The usual differences you'd expect in a dual sport bike vs an off road only bike. The DR (later models anyway) is electric start, street legal and has all the comforts you might want on the street (gauges, helmet lock, lights, horn etc) while the XR is basic dirt bike with a plastic lensed, 35wt headlight. The off road model of the DR350 is closer to the XR as its similarly equiped and similar in weight, but still down on power while the XR has more vibration, a gear less and will probably not last as long. Anyway, if you are talking about the dual sport version of the DR I don't really see the bikes as substitutes, if you are talking about the off road DR then they are more similar with the DR being more friendly and smooth and the XR a bit more powerful.

There's a big difference between a factory dual sport and a bike with a baja kit - a baja kit doesn't help in states that don't title dirt bikes on the street (many of them) and it doesn't really provide the same level of street goodies you'd find on a factory dual sport. Its just enough to squeek by a vehicle inspection (hopefully). Also, the DR has electric start which is quite nice on a daily driver/commuter/grocery getter:) If you want a bike to connect trails and spend almost all your time off road a converted dirt bike is a great way to go, if you want to do significant street and dirt riding a true dual sport is probably a better option for most. Its a legit title, electric start and all the street goodies along with amazing reliability that keeps DR prices high. Its a bike you can ride off road on with decent compotence, take to the grocery store without any fuss or ride to alaska or copper canyon with minimal prep and require no real maintence for any of it. Few bikes are so versital and require so little upkeep but if its a more focused off road bike you want an XR4 is a better performer.

I'm going to school here in cambridge and my bike is my only form of motorized transport. I wanted something that I could turn a key and be off, would be totally reliable, require minimal work (I have no place to work on it) and still be able to have a bit of fun in the dirt on the weekends. The DR has been fantastic for me for that purpose. If I just wanted something I could ride from a garage to near-by trails then play in the dirt all day I'd look for something a bit more focused like an XR400, WR426 etc.

truckin thumper, I've never heard of the name, but cambridge is a pretty big place:)

have fun

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703

BikePilot screwed with this post 11-25-2007 at 09:06 PM
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:17 PM   #234
Noreaster
Fat and Cuddly again

Oddometer: 1,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobudo28
Thanks for the good info. I didn't know about the kick only on the 93. I am looking at a DS instead of an off road only because a good number of my rides will be paved to dirt roads then trail then back to dirt roads, etc. With a DS I can ride from my house and not be forced to truck or trailer my bike somewhere to ride it. I do not need anything with lot's of power, just something capable so I think the DR is the right bike. I would prefer e-start, (bad right knee) but I am guessing they don't kick all that hard once you get the hang of it.
You should stop looking at dual sports. In NH you guys can regester any thing with wheels and an engine. Look into it more before you purchase.

" I hate to burst bubbles, but the Last Frontier is paved..." JRMosley
2005 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom
2005 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Silverado
Noreaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:05 PM   #235
johnnyandjebus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
Hey

can anyone tell me what front fenders will fit my dr350, other than stock.
i.e
Will a drz400 front fender fit?

I am replacing my plastics and want to go with something other than the stock fender. I will be buying from Maier as they are the only company I can find that sells the side panels. So any front fender purchased must be sold by them as I want the plastcis to all be the same shade of white.

thanks
John
johnnyandjebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:51 PM   #236
snare
sittin and breathin

Oddometer: 252
FYI for anyone considering running heated grips and a jacket liner on a DR350SE.

I am running Symtec heated grips and a Warm & Safe (Powerlet branded) full sleeved liner on my 94 DR350SE.

I run the grips on low and the jacket at at least half power (I have the rotary heatroller), at the same time, without any charging issues. On a couple occasions I saw the headlight dim ever so slightly when the LED (which flashes with the power on) on the heatroller would light, but I have never had any trouble starting the DR in icey temps down to 20*.

I commute every day 25 miles each way with at least 13 miles of that in slow, or urban stop and go traffic.

The liner draws ~100 watts at full power, so I am guessing about 50 watts at half (am I a genious or what?) and the grips are drawing roughly 10-13 watts on low (couldn't find decent documentation of this anywhere). So they total about 65 watts and then 55 for the low beam headlight. I don't know what the tailight draws. IIRC the SE puts out ~125 watts @ 5000 rpm.

As a side note, I use these ATV mitts
http://www.kolpinpowersports.com/sto...7/products/108
and stay warm in 20*F weather at 60 mph with just summer gloves and the grips on low.

HTH

snare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 07:06 AM   #237
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyandjebus
Hey

i.e

I am replacing my plastics and want to go with something other than the stock fender. I will be buying from Maier as they are the only company I can find that sells the side panels. So any front fender purchased must be sold by them as I want the plastcis to all be the same shade of white.

thanks
John
A DR650 front fender will fit. But, it's 'atitude' is slightly different than the DR350 fender. I have one that you can have for shipping costs. It's in good shape (some scratches but still nice).
Quote:
Originally Posted by snare
FYI for anyone considering running heated grips and a jacket liner on a DR350SE.

I am running Symtec heated grips and a Warm & Safe (Powerlet branded) full sleeved liner on my 94 DR350SE.

I run the grips on low and the jacket at at least half power (I have the rotary heatroller), at the same time, without any charging issues. On a couple occasions I saw the headlight dim ever so slightly when the LED (which flashes with the power on) on the heatroller would light, but I have never had any trouble starting the DR in icey temps down to 20*.

I commute every day 25 miles each way with at least 13 miles of that in slow, or urban stop and go traffic.

The liner draws ~100 watts at full power, so I am guessing about 50 watts at half (am I a genious or what?) and the grips are drawing roughly 10-13 watts on low (couldn't find decent documentation of this anywhere). So they total about 65 watts and then 55 for the low beam headlight. I don't know what the tailight draws. IIRC the SE puts out ~125 watts @ 5000 rpm.

As a side note, I use these ATV mitts
http://www.kolpinpowersports.com/sto...7/products/108
and stay warm in 20*F weather at 60 mph with just summer gloves and the grips on low.

HTH
snare, I hope those stock hand guards arrived. Were you able to use them?

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:49 PM   #238
Helmet_Hair
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Hey

i.e

thanks
John
I'd read somewhere that the front fender from a '01 RM250 bolts up pretty easy.
Helmet_Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 02:03 PM   #239
Matttys
Matt the Balloon Guy

Oddometer: 436
Quote:
Hey

i.e
I have a DRZ400SM fender on mine. Looks much better and it was just sitting in the parts pile!
Old 12-02-2007, 05:28 PM   #240
GOT DIRT?
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 888
Kodudo 28,That guy with a 97 DR for $2750 is nuts.I just sold my 94 DR for $1250 and it had 4500 miles on it and it was ready to go into the woods and ride.
GOT DIRT? is offline   Reply With Quote