User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2010, 01:58 PM   #6346
coaxial
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
another victim to the DR350 thread

My last two bikes were DL650 v-stroms and I absolutely loved them. Rode up to alaska and down to mexico on them. A series of unfortunate events left me without a bike this year. In August I was riding to work and a car hit me, totalling my 06 DL650. I quickly got a replacement DL650 for my upcoming mexico trip, trip was great, but on the last day heading north out of mexico I hit an oil-covered curve and wiped out, causing enough damage to make it worth using my deluxe mexican insurance to write that one off too.

After spending some time off-road in mexico with the DL650 I wanted to get more into off-road riding, so something lighter and more oriented to dirt. I commute every day across the city as well and a 650 tourer is overkill for that.

I found this thread, managed to read parts of it (someone should index it with a table of contents to make it readable! and the rest is history. Decided DR350 was the bike for me :Grin

I test-rode a few used DR350 bikes around and got the best one. Its a '91 S model in fantastic shape with only 10,000km. All the usual mods are done, everything works great. It runs a bit rich but I'm gradually finding the right idle mix setting, and have just ordered a pumper carb anyway

Current: '91 DR350s mondo enduro commuter!
Past: V-Strom'd to Alaska & Mexico

coaxial screwed with this post 12-02-2010 at 11:58 PM
coaxial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:56 PM   #6347
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,838
Congrats. Sounds like a clean machine with lots of extras. Your post and signature disagree on the year of the DR. Not import, just sayin...

I too am recently ex-Strom, trading it this summer for a pure road bike, and recently adding DR350SE to the garage. 2 more focused bikes are better than 1 jack-of-all-trades. I didn't like the V-Strom for commuting. Too much bulk, too top heavy, too slow to change direction. I think an Enduro-style bike is ideal for big-city riding.

My DR is newer, but with few improvements, several previous owners, and while running well, needs some work. Basic stuff, chain, sprockets, brake pads, valve check, etc.

Lots of helpful and knowledgeable folks contribute this thread (knowledgeable does not include me).

Jon

jon_l screwed with this post 12-03-2010 at 09:02 AM
jon_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:20 PM   #6348
TKsquints
Dirt Magert

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by KneeKicker View Post
here is the link http://www.d2moto.com/p-6738-suzuki-...foot-pegs.aspx

promo code is bf40
Sweet, just got a pair, thanks KneeKicker.
TKsquints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:31 AM   #6349
gacksnabbit
Commander

Oddometer: 188
Late to the party!

I just picked up this sweet 1999 DR350 this week after selling the KTM690 on Sunday. Hoping to use it on light trails just for fun, nothing too crazy. The previous owner took off the stickers and fitted and older seat so I thought it was a 1995. VIN has X code so it's a 99!
All stock otherwise including the muffler. Very low hours. I ordered a needle and seat as the carb is a bit weepy and those stock bars are going in the bin. I have a new set of silver Pro-taper CR High bend that will be perfect I think.

Now it has no title and I would like to get one through VT or another nearby state. I am in NJ but I know nothing about doing this kind of thing. I have a signed bill of sale with a copy of the the previous owners DL. Anyone know how to do this? I am not looking to make it street legal but I would like to register it in NJ for trail use. PM me please if you have any suggestions. Thanks

Old 12-03-2010, 09:07 AM   #6350
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,838
What handguards are on your DR? I have a DR350SE with the aluminum wrap-around guards, and I can hardly get a gloved hand inside. I'd like to find "flag" style guards that will fit the SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by gacksnabbit View Post
I just picked up this sweet 1999 DR350 this week after selling the KTM690 on Sunday. Hoping to use it on light trails just for fun, nothing too crazy. The previous owner took off the stickers and fitted and older seat so I thought it was a 1995. VIN has X code so it's a 99!
All stock otherwise including the muffler. Very low hours. I ordered a needle and seat as the carb is a bit weepy and those stock bars are going in the bin. I have a new set of silver Pro-taper CR High bend that will be perfect I think.

Now it has no title and I would like to get one through VT or another nearby state. I am in NJ but I know nothing about doing this kind of thing. I have a signed bill of sale with a copy of the the previous owners DL. Anyone know how to do this? I am not looking to make it street legal but I would like to register it in NJ for trail use. PM me please if you have any suggestions. Thanks

Old 12-03-2010, 10:10 AM   #6351
yondering
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by KneeKicker View Post
here is the link http://www.d2moto.com/p-6738-suzuki-...foot-pegs.aspx

promo code is bf40
Thanks man! I've been checking those guys once in a while, but they were always out of stock. Just ordered mine!
yondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:14 AM   #6352
yondering
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsporl View Post
this is a 1980 suzuki dr 400 i bought few months ago and would like to sell it only because neither my dad or myself can start it. The bike does start if you have the weight behind you, but my dad and i only weigh about 120-130 pounds. the pitcock was replaced, and the carb was cleaned out. Very little rust is on the bike and it is completely stock. The front light and rear brake light does not turn on only because the wires were cut when i bought it.The bike has no signs of mirrors or turn signals so i am guessing it is a dirt model If you like more pictures please ask

asking price 2000$
Are you looking to buy a DR350? (I'm not offering one, just asking.) They are much easier to start.

Best of luck on your sale, but that's really just a $500 bike. You might try listing it in the for sale section, or the flea market thread in your regional forum.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:40 AM   #6353
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,694
I've got a 96 S model suspension, frame, and motor (blown)

I know the kick start components have some value and the bike is street titled, but I don't know what this thing is worth.

top end of motor is trashed.
z@ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:44 AM   #6354
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,195
There's no such thing as a '96 S model. If its a factory street legal DR350 that's kick start only its not a 1996. Worth sorting this out before trying to sell stuff from it.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:01 PM   #6355
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 2,097
Is there a good resource for doing a RM/RMZ fork swap onto a DR350? I found a 98 DR SE with 10k miles that looks like it's in good shape, and the guy wants $1400 for it.

I'm a big dude, and I am going to have to respring everything anyway, if I can find a cheap front end off an RM I thought I might as well do the swap.

I eventually want to go all out with the bike, big bore, dirt set up and an SM set up. I can't imagine how much fun a 440cc 6-speed sub 300lbs SM would be.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:11 PM   #6356
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot View Post
There's no such thing as a '96 S model. If its a factory street legal DR350 that's kick start only its not a 1996. Worth sorting this out before trying to sell stuff from it.
It's been titled in Ohio. Had a baja designs kit on it.
z@ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:21 PM   #6357
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
Is there a good resource for doing a RM/RMZ fork swap onto a DR350? I found a 98 DR SE with 10k miles that looks like it's in good shape, and the guy wants $1400 for it.

I'm a big dude, and I am going to have to respring everything anyway, if I can find a cheap front end off an RM I thought I might as well do the swap.

I eventually want to go all out with the bike, big bore, dirt set up and an SM set up. I can't imagine how much fun a 440cc 6-speed sub 300lbs SM would be.

Not really on a '98 - it'll have quality cartridge forks. You'd have to re-spring and re-valve whatever you bolt to the front anyway so there's no cost savings in that respect.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:31 PM   #6358
Airvent
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post

If the bike is in great shape its worth every bit of $1400. I bought my 1998 DR350se from an older fellow that rode it gently and maintained it well with 7k miles for $1900

Also the 1998 model has the cartridge forks as mentioned before. They feel like the forks off of my RM125 when you crank the compression and rebound up.
Airvent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:33 PM   #6359
Airvent
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsporl View Post
this is a 1980 suzuki dr 400 i bought few months ago and would like to sell it only because neither my dad or myself can start it. The bike does start if you have the weight behind you, but my dad and i only weigh about 120-130 pounds. the pitcock was replaced, and the carb was cleaned out. Very little rust is on the bike and it is completely stock. The front light and rear brake light does not turn on only because the wires were cut when i bought it.The bike has no signs of mirrors or turn signals so i am guessing it is a dirt model If you like more pictures please ask

asking price 2000$

offers will also be considered
This should be in the flea market section, plus I think you got an extra zero on your asking price.
Airvent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:23 PM   #6360
yondering
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by z@ch View Post
I've got a 96 S model suspension, frame, and motor (blown)

I know the kick start components have some value and the bike is street titled, but I don't know what this thing is worth.

top end of motor is trashed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by z@ch View Post
It's been titled in Ohio. Had a baja designs kit on it.
With a baja designs kit on it, it's not an "S" model, and not factory street legal. Sounds like you have the dirt only version.

Good news is the carb might be worth something ($150-ish?) if it's not worn out, and the suspension is an upgrade for older S models. (Your rear shock should have both rebound and compression damping adjustments, being a dirt model).