Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2010, 04:05 PM   #6361
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
What handguards are on your DR? I have a DR350SE with the aluminum wrap-around guards, and I can hardly get a gloved hand inside. I'd like to find "flag" style guards that will fit the SE
Those are stock DR350 hand guards. Mine has the same thing. A lot of people swap them out so they shouldn't be too hard to get.

Not nearly as rugged as what you have now, but lots of wind protection for cold weather rides.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 04:44 PM   #6362
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by yondering View Post
With a baja designs kit on it, it's not an "S" model, and not factory street legal. Sounds like you have the dirt only version.

Good news is the carb might be worth something ($150-ish?) if it's not worn out, and the suspension is an upgrade for older S models. (Your rear shock should have both rebound and compression damping adjustments, being a dirt model).
Sorry for the confusion.

Dirt model. Street title. Carb sold last year. The remains of the carcass are just hanging out in the garage and I have little use for them.
z@ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 05:19 PM   #6363
hdemartini
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by gacksnabbit View Post
I just picked up this sweet 1999 DR350 this week after selling the KTM690 on Sunday. Hoping to use it on light trails just for fun, nothing too crazy. The previous owner took off the stickers and fitted and older seat so I thought it was a 1995. VIN has X code so it's a 99!
All stock otherwise including the muffler. Very low hours. I ordered a needle and seat as the carb is a bit weepy and those stock bars are going in the bin. I have a new set of silver Pro-taper CR High bend that will be perfect I think.

Now it has no title and I would like to get one through VT or another nearby state. I am in NJ but I know nothing about doing this kind of thing. I have a signed bill of sale with a copy of the the previous owners DL. Anyone know how to do this? I am not looking to make it street legal but I would like to register it in NJ for trail use. PM me please if you have any suggestions. Thanks

comgratulationsss its in realy good shape!
i dont want to disapoint you, but that bike is not an 1999 one!
the dr350x (1999) have another front suspencion, another caliper of break. another front fender, seat cover may be change but this bike is definitly an 1995.
Hernan, from argentina
hdemartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:21 PM   #6364
kobukan
almost gnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdemartini View Post
comgratulationsss its in realy good shape!
i dont want to disapoint you, but that bike is not an 1999 one!
the dr350x (1999) have another front suspencion, another caliper of break. another front fender, seat cover may be change but this bike is definitly an 1995.
Hernan, from argentina
If the VIN has an "X" in it, it's a 1999. Forks, fender, seat, etc . . . may have been changed. Mine was sold to me as a 1998, but the VIN (X) indicated it was really a 1999.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
Old 12-03-2010, 07:27 PM   #6365
PK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
As the snow accumulates.....I think it's time to start planning some off season upgrades. I have a 93 DR350S that I plan to keep and improve. Only 7500 miles and runs and plays great. I already have a Clarke tank, pumper carb, header and modded exhaust from Jesse.

Any opinions on the following?

Race Tech valves for the suspension (front and rear)

441 kit

FMF or similar pipe

Dirt Bagz or other "luggage" set up

I forgot to mention I have the 1" drop Kouba links which I think help the rear end behave a bit better. Anyone else done that?

Any good source for replacing swingarm and linkage bearings as well as wheel bearings?

Thanks.

PK screwed with this post 12-03-2010 at 07:39 PM
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:33 AM   #6366
SprintSix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Gold valve the shock. Spring it for your weight. The stock spring works for me at 145lbs.

Try to find a later model dr350 (98-99?) and get the cartridge forks. If you cant find them the gold valves will suffice.

If you get the 441 kit the fmf may be required. If not your fine with the modded stocker. Except weight.

Reports indicate lowering links do improve shock action/handling, I dont have them.

All Balls. Choose your vendor or buy direct.
SprintSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:03 PM   #6367
Olddirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by z@ch View Post
Sorry for the confusion.

Dirt model. Street title. Carb sold last year. The remains of the carcass are just hanging out in the garage and I have little use for them.
Im looking for a few things........rubber boot that goes from pumper carb to airbox
Olddirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:16 PM   #6368
cjsporl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
why.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by gacksnabbit View Post
I just picked up this sweet 1999 DR350 this week after selling the KTM690 on Sunday. Hoping to use it on light trails just for fun, nothing too crazy. The previous owner took off the stickers and fitted and older seat so I thought it was a 1995. VIN has X code so it's a 99!
All stock otherwise including the muffler. Very low hours. I ordered a needle and seat as the carb is a bit weepy and those stock bars are going in the bin. I have a new set of silver Pro-taper CR High bend that will be perfect I think.

Now it has no title and I would like to get one through VT or another nearby state. I am in NJ but I know nothing about doing this kind of thing. I have a signed bill of sale with a copy of the the previous owners DL. Anyone know how to do this? I am not looking to make it street legal but I would like to register it in NJ for trail use. PM me please if you have any suggestions. Thanks

i would have traded you my 1998 suzuki dr 350 and my 1980 suzuki dr 400 for your ktm

why would you even think about selling that bike
cjsporl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:49 PM   #6369
jeep8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Title question

gacksnabbit
I am not a lawyer, this advice may be wrong.
If you don't have a title signed by the previous owner, you don't own the bike. If you want to find out who has the bike titled, take the VIN to a policeman friend and have them run the number. Keeping in mind this is illegal.(due to privacy act)
Then you contact the person who has the title in their name, if it is stolen you may have sue the person you bought the bike from and give the bike back to the owner(title owner). If it is not stolen you might be able to get the title from that person. Or you might ask them to file for a lost title. Then sign the title over to you. Either way its a pain. I recommend never buy a bike without a title, especially if you are going to tag it. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong on any point. But I speak from experience unfortunately. Good luck!

jeep8 screwed with this post 12-04-2010 at 08:55 PM
jeep8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:23 PM   #6370
kobukan
almost gnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep8 View Post
gacksnabbit
I am not a lawyer, this advice may be wrong.
If you don't have a title signed by the previous owner, you don't own the bike. If you want to find out who has the bike titled, take the VIN to a policeman friend and have them run the number. Keeping in mind this is illegal.(due to privacy act)
Then you contact the person who has the title in their name, if it is stolen you may have sue the person you bought the bike from and give the bike back to the owner(title owner). If it is not stolen you might be able to get the title from that person. Or you might ask them to file for a lost title. Then sign the title over to you. Either way its a pain. I recommend never buy a bike without a title, especially if you are going to tag it. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong on any point. But I speak from experience unfortunately. Good luck!
If you have a bill of sale then you own the bike, unless the person that gave you the bill of sale was not the owner.

Every state is different. Check with your state's motor vehicle department to see what's required to register for off road only. That would be the first step. In ME & NH the only thing needed to register for off road use is a bill of sale.

It's common for off road bikes (and older vehicles) to be sold without a title. Usually, to get street legal registered you need either a title or a certificate of origin along with the bill of sale.

You should be able to have the motor vehicle department or local/state law enforcement verify that the VIN has not been reported stolen if you're concerned about that.

If your state requires a title there are ways to get one, but you may not need it. Check it out before you start trying to figure out how you're going to get something you may not need.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
Old 12-05-2010, 12:52 AM   #6371
jeep8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobukan View Post
If you have a bill of sale then you own the bike, unless the person that gave you the bill of sale was not the owner.

Every state is different. Check with your state's motor vehicle department to see what's required to register for off road only. That would be the first step. In ME & NH the only thing needed to register for off road use is a bill of sale.

It's common for off road bikes (and older vehicles) to be sold without a title. Usually, to get street legal registered you need either a title or a certificate of origin along with the bill of sale.

You should be able to have the motor vehicle department or local/state law enforcement verify that the VIN has not been reported stolen if you're concerned about that.

If your state requires a title there are ways to get one, but you may not need it. Check it out before you start trying to figure out how you're going to get something you may not need.
point #1 Exactly, (the big UNLESS) this is where problems occur
point #3 You are probably correct.
point #2, 4 & 5 These should be done prior to purchase
jeep8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 02:00 AM   #6372
3uba296
Thumpcurious

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsporl View Post
lower price: $1,500
Lower it to 500$, put it in FLEAMARKET that you are told or gain some weight.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:44 AM   #6373
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,853
Quote:
lower price: $1,500
Dude - Please read the rules. Posting "For Sale" notices is not allowed in the discussion forums. Go to the fleamarket for that.

Looks nice BTW - but nothing like $1500 nice.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:32 AM   #6374
gacksnabbit
Commander

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
i would have traded you my 1998 suzuki dr 350 and my 1980 suzuki dr 400 for your ktm

why would you even think about selling that bike
As you can see from my sig, I have a Tiger 800XC on order to replace the 690. Looking for a bit more long distance work so I sold the single. The DR is just to foo-foo around the trails with friends. You didn't think I replaced the KTM with an 11 year old air cooled dirt bike now did you...
Old 12-05-2010, 09:45 AM   #6375
gacksnabbit
Commander

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobukan View Post
If the VIN has an "X" in it, it's a 1999. Forks, fender, seat, etc . . . may have been changed. Mine was sold to me as a 1998, but the VIN (X) indicated it was really a 1999.
Well the frame has and X in the VIN so it's a 99 for sure. The handlebars and exhaust are stock and everything looks OEM but the seat is from an earlier year. Was the front end changed out? I don't know as I took it home and pushed it in the garage and have not had the time to look it over yet. What front end is supposed to be a 99 DR350 dirt only? What front brake caliper? Does mine look different than it should?