ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 10:33 AM   #7201
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid
 
mouthfulloflake's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: N.W. Arkansas
Oddometer: 15,839
interesting, I wonder if thats all that wears, or does the carb body wear too?

I cant ifnd a price on that throttle valve slide, I need to make some calls I guess.


Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo83 View Post
Sudco sells a replacement TM33 slide if that interests you (PN 002-948)
http://www.sudco.com/CatalogJPG/103.jpg
__________________
In dog beers, I've only had one.
Charter member: T.O. club.
Tilt your head, not the taco.
mouthfulloflake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:34 AM   #7202
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride
 
Pablo83's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Woodland Park, CO
Oddometer: 4,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouthfulloflake View Post
interesting, I wonder if thats all that wears, or does the carb body wear too?

I cant ifnd a price on that throttle valve slide, I need to make some calls I guess.
I'm not a Mikuni expert, but I know the Keihin's typically wear the slide long before the body wears.
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:52 AM   #7203
PHILinFRANCE
Beastly Adventurer
 
PHILinFRANCE's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: S W France my little bit of paradise
Oddometer: 1,086
Cheers Farmer Fred and Shearboy2004 for the feed back .....i'll run this set and see how it goes now that iv'e bought them !!!!!! So much choice
Phil
__________________
I,M HERE FOR A GOOD TIME NOT ALONG TIME
PHILinFRANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:01 AM   #7204
shearboy2004
KIWIINUSA
 
shearboy2004's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Ft Collins ,Colorado
Oddometer: 4,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo83 View Post
I'm not a Mikuni expert, but I know the Keihin's typically wear the slide long before the body wears.
I wish this was the case with Mikuni carbs Paul but I have found by the time we realize we have a problem the body is worn and a new slide will only halve the problem , this is one reason I would never touch an E Bay pumper.
__________________
88 R100GS
75 Norton Commando Roadster
98 DR450
07 Sherco 450 called BLING.
07 Sherco 510 called Holy Shit .
shearboy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:10 AM   #7205
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer
 
MiteyF's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Michigan... temporarily
Oddometer: 1,885
I'm running the stock 43 in the rear with my 15 up front for my street setup. I can cruise at 70 without REALLLY brappin' her out, but can still lift the front with a quick throttle hand in 1st.

I did just buy a 49 rear for my set of dirt wheels, we'll see how it does with my 13 front. Hoping I don't have to buy another chain!
MiteyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:11 AM   #7206
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid
 
mouthfulloflake's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: N.W. Arkansas
Oddometer: 15,839
good to know, thank you.



Quote:
Originally Posted by shearboy2004 View Post
I wish this was the case with Mikuni carbs Paul but I have found by the time we realize we have a problem the body is worn and a new slide will only halve the problem , this is one reason I would never touch an E Bay pumper.
__________________
In dog beers, I've only had one.
Charter member: T.O. club.
Tilt your head, not the taco.
mouthfulloflake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:14 AM   #7207
jessepitt
Ride More
 
jessepitt's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Redmond Oregon
Oddometer: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by shearboy2004 View Post
I wish this was the case with Mikuni carbs Paul but I have found by the time we realize we have a problem the body is worn and a new slide will only halve the problem , this is one reason I would never touch an E Bay pumper.
+1 I have managed to get mine running ok with a worn body and a new slide but it will not idle quite right. Hey Shearboy, what were the idle characteristics that you were having with the carb I now have on my bike?Just curious if they are the same as what I am dealing with now...
jessepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:29 AM   #7208
shearboy2004
KIWIINUSA
 
shearboy2004's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Ft Collins ,Colorado
Oddometer: 4,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessepitt View Post
+1 I have managed to get mine running ok with a worn body and a new slide but it will not idle quite right. Hey Shearboy, what were the idle characteristics that you were having with the carb I now have on my bike?Just curious if they are the same as what I am dealing with now...

Oh crap you asking an old man to remember something that happened more than a week ago

I am an anal prick when it comes to idle tuning I think and don't want any popping or climbing rpms at all. This comes into play when facing a rock wall and you have to have dead predictable throttle response in order to get up it .
I have had a bunch of DR's and have learnt over time that a new pumper is a beautiful thing so I tend to ditch the old ones quickly when they are playing up with worn slide symptoms.

That said i seem to remember that carb not idling evenly enough no matter how much i played with it , just worn but hopefully not as badly as your old one.

Let's hear what it's doing for you?
__________________
88 R100GS
75 Norton Commando Roadster
98 DR450
07 Sherco 450 called BLING.
07 Sherco 510 called Holy Shit .
shearboy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:22 PM   #7209
jessepitt
Ride More
 
jessepitt's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Redmond Oregon
Oddometer: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by shearboy2004 View Post
Oh crap you asking an old man to remember something that happened more than a week ago

I am an anal prick when it comes to idle tuning I think and don't want any popping or climbing rpms at all. This comes into play when facing a rock wall and you have to have dead predictable throttle response in order to get up it .
I have had a bunch of DR's and have learnt over time that a new pumper is a beautiful thing so I tend to ditch the old ones quickly when they are playing up with worn slide symptoms.

That said i seem to remember that carb not idling evenly enough no matter how much i played with it , just worn but hopefully not as badly as your old one.

Let's hear what it's doing for you?

Basiclly as you described. It doesn't idle down quickly, wont idle smooth, isn't reliable when you hit it, sometimes it responds instantly, sometimes it hesitates. I cant seem to get the air fuel screw set right but I think it is the worn body messing me up. It also does a delayed backfire when I shut it off, about a second after the engine stops. I have had it apart about ten times now to change jetting and re combine parts and it is rideable at this point but I think when I can afford it I will be buying a brand new carb. Thanks for sending me your old one tho, I wouldn't be riding at all without it.
jessepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:07 PM   #7210
shearboy2004
KIWIINUSA
 
shearboy2004's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Ft Collins ,Colorado
Oddometer: 4,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessepitt View Post
Basiclly as you described. It doesn't idle down quickly, wont idle smooth, isn't reliable when you hit it, sometimes it responds instantly, sometimes it hesitates. I cant seem to get the air fuel screw set right but I think it is the worn body messing me up. It also does a delayed backfire when I shut it off, about a second after the engine stops. I have had it apart about ten times now to change jetting and re combine parts and it is rideable at this point but I think when I can afford it I will be buying a brand new carb. Thanks for sending me your old one tho, I wouldn't be riding at all without it.
What you have there is a typical E Bay buy ! I'm glad it has you moving at least and I now know for sure you won't get one second hand.

Wish we could come up with a way to recon them but it would be extremely difficult to do .

I have what I assume is a very good CV carb here but I think that might be going backwards for you.
__________________
88 R100GS
75 Norton Commando Roadster
98 DR450
07 Sherco 450 called BLING.
07 Sherco 510 called Holy Shit .
shearboy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:16 PM   #7211
shearboy2004
KIWIINUSA
 
shearboy2004's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Ft Collins ,Colorado
Oddometer: 4,326
I asked this here once before but was totally ignored and i then felt very unloved but have regain some confidence so will ask again.

With all the big bores going on has anyone fitted a larger carb ?

Mine is now a 450 and I have a feeling going up 100cc could require a bigger carb to get full performance ?

Not really a huge issue as most of my riding is tight stuff but just wondering what to spend some more money on as I have far too much of it laying around cluttering the place up.
__________________
88 R100GS
75 Norton Commando Roadster
98 DR450
07 Sherco 450 called BLING.
07 Sherco 510 called Holy Shit .
shearboy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:59 PM   #7212
slowsuki1
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Oddometer: 118
i have fit a keihin fcr 37mm carb to my dr350 bigbore and love it, only problem is it is a bitch to start if it has not ran for a while. i can,t remember doner bike {ebay carb}, it was a bitch to jet as well, but great way to learn about the puticular carb, had to change every jet and adjust the amount of fuel the pump put out.
slowsuki1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:14 PM   #7213
DisTech
Studly Adventurer
 
DisTech's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 616
My DR455 has a FCR-MX37 that I bought off ebay for less than $100. It's from a WR250F. Still piecing things together so it hasn't run yet.

Country Doc has a FCR-MX37 too and I was hoping he would get to his jetting before me.

Hey Slowsuki, do you know the jetting you ended up with? And did you have any top end work done?
__________________
DisTech - Suzuki (1993 DR350S & 1994 DR350, 1996 DR650/DR790), BMW (1999 R1100GS)
DisTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:03 PM   #7214
Country Doc
Wanderer
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: somwhere north of Kingston, Ontario
Oddometer: 2,648
My bike lives in California, so the work is being done by Trailtricks. It's a fly-and-ride bike for me, to get away from winter.

Spoke with Javier yesterday and he says the FCR is mounted up and they are experimenting with it this week to see if they can get it working. I'll update as soon as I know more.

My bike is a 441, big valves + ported head, cam, big header, jesse ceramic coated SS header and modded stock pipe.

If they can get it running well with the carb, next comes the WP/KTM front end...

dc
Country Doc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:16 PM   #7215
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid
 
mouthfulloflake's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: N.W. Arkansas
Oddometer: 15,839
How much piecing is required?

did it use the stock Rubber intake boots?

I would go this option if its cheaper, and doesnt wear out like the mikuni pumper.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DisTech View Post
My DR455 has a FCR-MX37 that I bought off ebay for less than $100. It's from a WR250F. Still piecing things together so it hasn't run yet.

Country Doc has a FCR-MX37 too and I was hoping he would get to his jetting before me.

Hey Slowsuki, do you know the jetting you ended up with? And did you have any top end work done?
__________________
In dog beers, I've only had one.
Charter member: T.O. club.
Tilt your head, not the taco.
mouthfulloflake is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014