User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2007, 11:59 AM   #61
wtrlogd
IBA#23793

Oddometer: 338
Here's my(wife's) '99

Got it for her last winter, but most of the miles on it are from me.

& the others:

wtrlogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 12:19 PM   #62
blackbirdzach
Daily Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,430
Ohhhh! An ATK!!!
blackbirdzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 12:50 PM   #63
Suzuki Phil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbunceiii
put some pics up when you get it.....electric start??
Yes it has electric start and is 100% stock.

SP
Suzuki Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 06:02 PM   #64
electrolite
Wanderer

Oddometer: 48
Question

Thanks for the replies, I was just curious what tires and sizes the rest of you are running. Mine has kenda k270 on it right now, 4.10-18 on the rear and 3.00-21 on the front, looking back now, I'm kinda wishing I would've bought more offroad oriented tires, because thats the main reason I bought the bike.

But I have another question for you guys, the bike has been making a squealing noise from the front. The sound kind of comes and goes but it was driving me crazy so I pulled the front wheel and this is what I found.

For clarification , thats under the speedometer drive assembly, on the right side of the wheel. The previous owner took the speedometer and all related hardware off, because he used the bike as a trail bike, and it seems he took a bearing off too.

There is supposed to be a bearing between the speedometer drive assembly and the wheel, right?
electrolite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 10:05 AM   #65
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,729
Not that I recall (bearing between metering ass'y. & the hub). From the picture, it looks like one of the speedo tangs is missing from the hub (unless it's covered with grease). You may be hearing the missing tang being ground up (if it's truly missing). The inside of the metering assembly has a boss that rides on the inner bearing race. The other (rotor) side has the spacer. You may want to replace both bearings and take a look at the inside of the metering assembly (and maybe post a picture). I would think that the speedo would still work with one tang missing. I have an older shop manual and it does not show anything between the metering assembly and the bearing.
HTH - Dave.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 04:14 PM   #66
electrolite
Wanderer

Ok, the hub does have two tangs, ones just covered up with grease. I'm not sure what the boss on the inside of the metering assembly looks like, but here's a picture, if it helps.

Heres a picture of the manual I have, (Clymer) that shows a bearing, #4 in between the metering assembly, #3 and the hub.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated!
Old 09-16-2007, 10:58 AM   #67
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Well, the bearing (#4) goes in the hub with a press fit. It captures the spacer (#7) between it and the other bearing (also #4) on the opposite of the hub. The inner sleeve of the metering assembly butts up against the inner race of the wheel bearing (#4). This allows the hub tangs to engage the metering tangs to drive the speedo. It doesn't appear you're missing anything. My DR is exactly the same. It's possible that it's simply time for new bearings. You don't appear to have sealed bearings. So, try to clean out some of that extra grease (extra grease is a heat sink) and see if the bearing balls show signs of wear or spalling. How many miles are on the bearings (bike)?

Old 09-16-2007, 06:28 PM   #68
electrolite
Wanderer

The bike only has about 7000 miles on it. Is it possible that whatever turns inside the metering assembly got gummed up and is squeaking? I tried turning the tangs inside the assembly by hand and found it harder than I would Imagine.

The only other thing I might suspect is that the metering ssembly is rubbing on the hub itself adn making the noise. In which case I have no idea what to do.

Thanks for your time,

-Nick
Old 09-17-2007, 12:39 PM   #69
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Well, not to sound snide but anything is possible. Try removing the speedo cable from the metering assembly. If the assembly is still hard to turn, you may have an issue there. I have read of metering assemblies failing. If the assembly now spins more easily, then you might have an issue with the cable. Have you tried to spin the inner bearing races themselves? Do they turn smoothly or feel slightly "notchy"? At this point, you just need to make it a process-of-elimination series of events. With 7K miles, I wouldn't think that the bearings would be toast (in the picture you posted, they seem OK) but then I don't know the history of the bike, either.

Old 09-17-2007, 01:30 PM   #70
blackbirdzach
Daily Adventurer

My tank decals came in. I'm still waiting on the fork deacls, swingarm decals, and the number plate decals. Super easy to install.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:54 PM   #71
GOT DIRT?
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 888
blackbirdzach, you really got to get that thing dirty thats when a dr350 looks best ,also you did a really nice job on the bike.
GOT DIRT? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 07:11 PM   #72
blackbirdzach
Daily Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOT DIRT?
blackbirdzach, you really got to get that thing dirty thats when a dr350 looks best ,also you did a really nice job on the bike.
Thanks!

It got really dirty this weekend....I just took the hose to it afterward.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267281

The air box was nasty when I pull the bike apart this morning.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:33 PM   #73
electrolite
Wanderer

There is no speedo cable. The previous owner removed the speedometer and there is just a plug where the cable connected to the metering assembly .

Is it possible to rebuild the metering assembly or can I use a spacer as on the other side and eliminate the metering assembly altogether?? Or do I have to buy a new one?

The inner bearing feel fine, they turn easy, real smooth.

-Nick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638
Well, not to sound snide but anything is possible. Try removing the speedo cable from the metering assembly. If the assembly is still hard to turn, you may have an issue there. I have read of metering assemblies failing. If the assembly now spins more easily, then you might have an issue with the cable. Have you tried to spin the inner bearing races themselves? Do they turn smoothly or feel slightly "notchy"? At this point, you just need to make it a process-of-elimination series of events. With 7K miles, I wouldn't think that the bearings would be toast (in the picture you posted, they seem OK) but then I don't know the history of the bike, either.

electrolite screwed with this post 09-17-2007 at 10:27 PM
Old 09-18-2007, 10:11 AM   #74
Suzuki Phil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
Can any of you DR350 gurus recommend a good set of tires? Most likely my riding will be 70% street to 30% off-road.

Thanks,

SP
Suzuki Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 10:30 AM   #75
Jolly705
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,405
Anyone have a rear 18" they want to sell? If so shoot me a PM or email

mrjamesjolly@yahoo.com

Thanks
Jolly705 is offline   Reply With Quote