Originally Posted by BikePilot
the bike looks great Greendog

+1!
rockt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:04 AM   #752
greendogpictures
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Thanks BP & Rockt..... I'm really happy with it so far. I'm sure I'll miss the DRZ when she sells but the DR is perfect for me right now.

Steve
Quote:
the bike looks great Greendog

"If ya ain't living on the edge, ya taking up space." B. Coats

"It's not about having what ya want, it's about wanting what you have." Cheryl Crow
greendogpictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 11:02 AM   #753
rockt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by greendogpictures
Thanks BP & Rockt..... I'm really happy with it so far. I'm sure I'll miss the DRZ when she sells but the DR is perfect for me right now.

Steve
Depends how old you are, I think. As I get older, I like older, simpler technology more. I understand it better and it suits my needs. My guess is that over time, you'll like the sound and feel of the slightly slower revving DR and thank God for it anytime you have to adjust the valves.
rockt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 12:28 PM   #754
greendogpictures
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Well I'm diggin the little DR right now... Kinda reminds me of when I was growing up. Had an after school job pumping gas for .50 an hour... Yup, that's right, .50 cents and hour. We lived out in the country so instead of riding the bus to school I rode my little Honda XL125 to school every day, rain or shine. (up hill both ways) That is until I moved up in the world and bought a used XL250. Boy was I the man around school for a couple of days..

I've owned lots of bikes over the years, sevearl big sport tourers, two stroke dirt bikes, too many KLR's, several beemers, (1100GS, F650Dakar and a K75RT) and a few other dual sporters but like you I seem to really enjoy the older technology. Makes me feel young again, not that I'm really all that old. I'm glad you guys are all on this site, it's good to be able to contact others with like interests. What a great little machine the DR350 is.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockt
Depends how old you are, I think. As I get older, I like older, simpler technology more. I understand it better and it suits my needs. My guess is that over time, you'll like the sound and feel of the slightly slower revving DR and thank God for it anytime you have to adjust the valves.

"If ya ain't living on the edge, ya taking up space." B. Coats

"It's not about having what ya want, it's about wanting what you have." Cheryl Crow
greendogpictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 04:51 PM   #755
johnnyandjebus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
Aftermarket air filter

Hey guys, I am just throwing this out here for the sake on conversation.

Can anyone tell me why I should replace my stock air filter with an aftermarket filter like the unifilter?
And, where I could get one?

On another note, I went for a ride last night, just around town. Air temps were in the 5-6 degree range(celsius) I am love'n the heated grips. Best 30$ I have spent in a long time!!
johnnyandjebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 06:24 PM   #756
zaner32
In over my head

Oddometer: 645
clutch plates (are they toast)

This is a fairly new DR350 to me. Took it out for a rip yesterday off road, and noted that the clutch started slipping. : Loosened up the clutch lever as loose as a goose, and today it still slipped sporadically. I'm using Castrol Motorcycle 10W40 for oil. There is no blockage in the cable, and lots of slack at the lever.
As I was going to tear this down to change the thrust washers (lurking in first gear issue), I started looking at the clutch plates. Are they worn out? I don't have a caliper yet to measure the exact thickness:

Here is one of the thrust washers. (top=new bottom=old)

I also checked the plates to see if they are warped. I put all of them on a mirror and gently tapped on them all the way around to see if I they were sitting flat on the mirror (no noise) or if they were warped (noise when tapped). They are all ok.
I worked on the groove on the basket, still have some work to do there.
The unweighted spring length is still within tolerance, all of them are app 30.5mm in length.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
zaner32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:11 PM   #757
Mulekick
2.7 on Fu Man Chu

Oddometer: 25,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyandjebus
Hey guys, I am just throwing this out here for the sake on conversation.

Can anyone tell me why I should replace my stock air filter with an aftermarket filter like the unifilter?
And, where I could get one?

On another note, I went for a ride last night, just around town. Air temps were in the 5-6 degree range(celsius) I am love'n the heated grips. Best 30$ I have spent in a long time!!
$

The UNI is worth every penny in my book....$25 shipped from Jesse....$40 for OEM from the stealer.....

WAY nicer filter and a cheap assed piece of mind.....

note to self~ LEARN LIVE LOVE
Mulekick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:14 PM   #758
Mulekick
2.7 on Fu Man Chu

Oddometer: 25,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaner32
This is a fairly new DR350 to me. Took it out for a rip yesterday off road, and noted that the clutch started slipping. : Loosened up the clutch lever as loose as a goose, and today it still slipped sporadically. I'm using Castrol Motorcycle 10W40 for oil. There is no blockage in the cable, and lots of slack at the lever.
As I was going to tear this down to change the thrust washers (lurking in first gear issue), I started looking at the clutch plates. Are they worn out? I don't have a caliper yet to measure the exact thickness:

Here is one of the thrust washers. (top=new bottom=old)

I also checked the plates to see if they are warped. I put all of them on a mirror and gently tapped on them all the way around to see if I they were sitting flat on the mirror (no noise) or if they were warped (noise when tapped). They are all ok.
I worked on the groove on the basket, still have some work to do there.
The unweighted spring length is still within tolerance, all of them are app 30.5mm in length.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

My thoughts???

Your that far in get some new clutch bits......

You obviously have enough skills to do the job so pony up and get a new clutch.The worst that can hapen after that is adjustment...Your already there from what I see.....

note to self~ LEARN LIVE LOVE
Mulekick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 04:07 AM   #759
zaner32
In over my head

I'll probably put in new friction disks, I have read up on Max-Zuk, and they say OEM only, so that's what i'll do.
Old 04-12-2008, 05:16 AM   #760
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,171
The difference between a good clutch and a worn out one is thousandths of an inch, no way of telling from the pics. I'd buy a micrometer, they are super useful to have around and even a cheap mechanical one will do the job.

So long as there's preventing the pressure plate from pressing on the clutch plates (like a stuck or overtightened cable which you've already checked for it sounds) the two main causes of a slipping clutch will be worn out plates or bad clutch springs. The latter is probably more common than the former, plates last an amazingly long time. If you think about it, the clutch plates in your DR are not a lot smaller than the ones in my 7,000# diesel truck's transmission!

While you are in there check the fingers on both the inner and outer baskets for grooving as that can also cause clutch slip and drag. If you have minor grooving you can polish them out, if major grooving it would be best to replace the baskets.

OEM is typically best for clutch plates, the aftermarket ones just don't have the same level of quality control. Some work out fine, others don't.

For the Airfilter, the stocker works just fine, the aftermarket options are just options for a stock-replacement and are usually a bit better made, easier to find and less expensive. Stick with oiled foam (stock, uni, twinair etc), the gauze filters (k&n) have no place on a bike that will see any dirt (and its argueable whether they've any place on much else either imho).

good luck!

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 12:11 PM   #761
dirtclod
n00b

Oddometer: 9
info please

well im trying to get back into riding and just got a dr 350se and i love it but it needs a seatcover. anybody no were to get a black and blue one? and one more thing this site is waaay cool thanks guys
dirtclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 12:39 PM   #762
zaner32
In over my head

Quote:
The difference between a good clutch and a worn out one is thousandths of an inch, no way of telling from the pics. I'd buy a micrometer, they are super useful to have around and even a cheap mechanical one will do the job.

So long as there's preventing the pressure plate from pressing on the clutch plates (like a stuck or overtightened cable which you've already checked for it sounds) the two main causes of a slipping clutch will be worn out plates or bad clutch springs. The latter is probably more common than the former, plates last an amazingly long time. If you think about it, the clutch plates in your DR are not a lot smaller than the ones in my 7,000# diesel truck's transmission!

While you are in there check the fingers on both the inner and outer baskets for grooving as that can also cause clutch slip and drag. If you have minor grooving you can polish them out, if major grooving it would be best to replace the baskets.

OEM is typically best for clutch plates, the aftermarket ones just don't have the same level of quality control. Some work out fine, others don't.

good luck!
I'll be getting new clutch plates (OEM), as Mulekick said, while i'm in there, might as well replace. For the extra amount of money it will cost, I might as well get new springs too.

The fingers on the outer basket had some grooving, so i'm in the process of lightly sanding with a dremel at low speed so as not to make the matter worse, then follow up with 600 grain, then polish with the dremel.

If I see that the plates don't match up well with the fingers once assembled, then i'll get a new basket. Would hate to see the price of a new one! Anyone ever buy the Kientech basket?

The fingers on the inner basket look and feel fine. No grooving is felt when I run my finger over those splines.

I've changed clutches in jeeps, half tons, and farm tractors before. Doing it on a bike should be a walk in the park.
Old 04-12-2008, 02:49 PM   #763
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,171
Sounds good, bike cluthes are super easy to change, nothing at all like a cage clutch in terms of difficulty. Be very careful not to take off too much metal with the dremel! I've never ordered a basket from jessie, didn't know he sold them for that matter. I have used billet baskets on mx bikes before and they do tend to last longer than stockers.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 03:35 PM   #764
KyFazer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtclod
just got a dr 350se and i love it but it needs a seatcover. anybody no were to get a black and blue one?
I've seen Black/Yellow ones on eBay and other sites, which may not look to bad, but not Black/Blue. That may be a little tough to find.

How about showing off the new bike. Where's the pix?

2001 Yamaha FZ1
1998 Suzuki DR350
KyFazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 03:38 PM   #765
Ross Foy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Why do this Dr just look mean for some reason? It just looks so much more aggressive then the others. Like its more balanced, the rear is as high as the front, i don't know, just looks mean and really good and sporty. Im assuming suspension, but the 98/99s have the off road suspension aswell.

[/quote]
Ross Foy is offline   Reply With Quote