Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2011, 03:30 PM   #8071
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,816
Search has not turned up much specific info, though I know it is buried in this giant thread somewhere.

Is there a consensus as to best replacement mirrors? Not impressed with the factory mirrors. Ideally, I would like some that fold without tools for trails and crowded garage, but that also stay where you want them when deployed.

Thank you in advance.

Jon
Old 04-09-2011, 04:06 PM   #8072
juda5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja77 View Post
Off idle to 1/2 throttle is what I use in the mountains in 1st and second gear, so its quite anoying when I want to use the engines torque over rocks. And stopping every 30minutes to let the bike cool down is even more anoying. I am starting to think I must go back to the oem 79mm piston and a new barrel, but damn, I love the second gear power wheelies on road.
If you are stopping every 1/2 just because you are seeing 130 on your oil temp. guage, I would seriously think about throwing away the temp. guage!

You are safe to 150C -- if you are seeing that for extended periods, then get that oil cooler on there!
juda5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:18 PM   #8073
DisTech
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 616
This bundle comes from the generator. I have not been able to find the black wire with the male bullet connector on any wiring diagram. I suspect it's a ground, can anyone confirm?

DisTech screwed with this post 04-13-2011 at 07:14 PM
DisTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:24 PM   #8074
sage06
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
anyone know about the Suzuki Height Control adjustment?

Just picked up a 92 DR350 for $1500. One dollar for every mile on the clock. completely bone stock and damn near pristine.

Any ideas on how the ride height adjustment (SHC (Suzuki Height Control) is adjusted?

sage06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:38 PM   #8075
Bob Onit
Rocket Surgeon

Oddometer: 1,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage06 View Post

Any ideas on how the ride height adjustment (SHC (Suzuki Height Control) is adjusted?
SHC was not avail on US models.
Is there a problem with the height?
Bob Onit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:58 PM   #8076
sage06
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Shc

Its not especially tall, but a couple of inches would have been easier offroad. the infor I had was from a UK site......:(
sage06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:16 PM   #8077
Bob Onit
Rocket Surgeon

Oddometer: 1,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage06 View Post
Its not especially tall, but a couple of inches would have been easier offroad. the infor I had was from a UK site......:(
Kouba Links.
I have them on both my DR's. They do lower the bike but I bought them because they work great to stop the rear wheel from kicking up while going over whoops and larger bumps off road.
I have a 36" inseam but my rear shock has been rebuilt. It has a "Progressive Suspension" brand spring which is much stiffer than the stock ball point pen spring
The stock spring is ok if you weigh less than 185 pounds or so, after that it's quite weak.

The Kouba Links come in 3 lengths.
Great product and necessary (IMO) if you cant flat foot the bike. Takes about a 20 minute installation time.

http://www.koubalink.com/drinstall.html

Bob Onit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:33 PM   #8078
juda5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisTech View Post
This bundle comes from the generator. I have not been able to find the black wire with the male bullet connector on any wiring diagram. I suspect it's a ground, can anyone confirm?
I'm pretty sure that is a ground that exists on the street model generator, but not on the dirt model -- so your dirt model harness won't have it.

I can verify that in the morning... bedtime now.
juda5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:43 PM   #8079
scharfg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Rear shock adjustment Question

Just starting to muck with my new to me '96 SE. Took the old tank off in prep to install Aceris. Took the carb out and will send to Jesse to do the mods (newb here). Replace stock bash plate with Ricochet. Replaced stock handle bars with Tusk. Installed Tusk risers. Replaced battery and footpegs. Still have the hand grips/heaters, windscreen (long distance comfort), bark busters, Uni air filter, cut out air box, replace bearings and a few other odds n sods before I taker er out for the first time (8K on the odo).

When I was muckin around I noticed the top knurled shock "ring" was off at the top. Where should it be, tightend down on top of the other knurled ring....?

Also my tach does not work, is there fuse for that and/or where should I start to see what's wrong....?

Thanks!
scharfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:56 PM   #8080
DisTech
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by juda5 View Post
I'm pretty sure that is a ground that exists on the street model generator, but not on the dirt model -- so your dirt model harness won't have it.

Your PM with the diagram is just what I needed. Thanks a lot!
Old 04-10-2011, 04:47 AM   #8081
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by juda5 View Post

A note on that: I had my 91S apart, and missed connecting that black wire. Had no neutral light, never suspected what was amiss. During testing I happened to ground from the neg terminal on the battery to the frame, and there was my neutral light on. Okay... made a jumper, and rode it like that.

Fast-forward to when I'm removing the 91 harness to put on the 98 for the magic button job, and I see that black wire unconnected. Not exactly sure the path it follows, but the bike ran with that wire disconnected, just had no neutral light.

And it wasn't the blue wire from the neutral switch, either.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:25 AM   #8082
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja77 View Post
Hey Gregory, Any ideas or fixes for me?

Sorry, I sure don't. A bunch of other guys who frequent this thread are much more knowledgeable than I with the DR and carburetion - and you are already getting some replies from them. :>

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:29 AM   #8083
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
Search has not turned up much specific info, though I know it is buried in this giant thread somewhere.

Is there a consensus as to best replacement mirrors? Not impressed with the factory mirrors. Ideally, I would like some that fold without tools for trails and crowded garage, but that also stay where you want them when deployed.

Thank you in advance.

Jon
The "ken sean enduro mirror" is what you want to google for. Excellent mirror, IMHO.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Old 04-10-2011, 06:33 AM   #8084
woolsac
Git some

Oddometer: 68
Longer shift lever

hey all. i saw someone asked a few pages back if there are longer shift levers available that will fit the dr...but no replies... wasnt sure if it was overlooked, or there are none available... i am interested in a longer arm and wanted to see if there is one that will fit, before i decide to mod the stock.

thanks!
Mark
'73 Honda CL350 Scrambler
woolsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:46 AM   #8085
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolsac View Post
hey all. i saw someone asked a few pages back if there are longer shift levers available that will fit the dr...but no replies... wasnt sure if it was overlooked, or there are none available... i am interested in a longer arm and wanted to see if there is one that will fit, before i decide to mod the stock.

thanks!
Mark
There are at least two available, though I don't have dimensions on either:

http://thisoldtractor.com/gtbender/d...r_replacements

Regards,

Gregory Bender