Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2011, 11:20 PM   #8386
scharfg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by juda5 View Post
You are correct, my mistake -- S and SE are street models. I would say that there are no real differences other than the electric start, but it appears that there are some out there labelled S that are electric start...?
Mine is one of those "E"'s with electric start, a Canadian thing or....?
scharfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:25 AM   #8387
lstuckey1
Ret. Pro Bench Racer

Oddometer: 96
Here are some photos of the T-vent mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638 View Post
The t-vent mod is all about breaking vacuum within the carb. The vacuum usually occurs when you allow a DR to take a 'dirt nap'. In the OE configuration, there is a rubber hose that leads from the vent port, on the carb, up and into the upper shock mount. I would assume its routed that way to keep debris from entering the hose. What I did was to cut that hose at its halfway point and add a "T" fitting. I then added some tubing which I routed along the frame and teminated it just below the rear brake cylinder. I provided pictures for a write-up on Maximum-Suzuki. Here they are:

lstuckey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:06 AM   #8388
mgdavis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
'92 DR350S - kickstart only. No battery, just the capacitor.

My lights flicker at idle, steady out with some throttle. Normal, or failing regulator/rectifier? I'd have no concern except that the flicker gets alternately dimmer and brighter than steady state operation.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:46 AM   #8389
Aquarelle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Venhill brake lines

Hi, haven't posted for a while. Just wanted to put a good word in for Venhill who make brake lines here in the UK.

Last summer I bought new brake lines. My DR250 has these obscure USD forks though, and I couldn't get a satisfactory fit from their selection of banjo bolts.

The line stuck out too far with the 45 degree banjo:

and the bend in the line was a bit too severe when I tried the straight one:

So I wrote and told them, and a very helpful man called Goran said to send them the old hose and they would think about making a banjo to fit.

Well it took several months, but he was true to his word and this is the end result:

Nice one Goran - truly great customer service! I believe these are now in production.

The caliper is actually from an RM250. It is identical in every way to the original but for one thing - a little bit of dremelling was required on a lug as you can see.

Another update soon I hope - I am hoping to fit replacement fork stanchions. Happy biking everyone...
Aquarelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:47 AM   #8390
clab04
The Sprout

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdavis View Post

My lights flicker at idle, steady out with some throttle. Normal, or failing regulator/rectifier? I'd have no concern except that the flicker gets alternately dimmer and brighter than steady state operation.
Some regulator/rectifiers have an internal battery charging circuit. It charges until it reaches a certain voltage then shuts off. I know some cars do this brighter/dimmer occilation at idle. The DR will not put out 12v at idle. This is why your lights are brighter while your reving your engine. If it didn't do it before then maybe you have a 'not quite' 100% battery. As long as your voltage checks out at 12v @4000-5000rpm your reg/rec is good.

Hey hey hey! Don't you think he is dead enough?
Well he shouldn't have been playing on my side of the street!
clab04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:02 PM   #8391
Alli
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
cams

Hi guys, need a little help here.
Rebuilding my '90 DR350s and as you can see from the pics my cams and rockers need some work.
My question is who do you all recommend? want to keep everything as close to stock as possible(a little more lift wouldn't hurt though).
Have heard of "webcams" and "megacyclecams"
Any opinions,thoughts welcome
Attached Images

Alli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:05 PM   #8392
Alli
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
cams

Doh!
only one pic at a time? Obviously doing something wrong, anyway here's the cam.
Attached Images

Alli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:54 PM   #8393
3uba296
Thumpcurious

Oddometer: 133
Need to rebuild my rear shock,(-97 dirt model) what sizes are the seals? Heard roumers that you could use a kit meant for some year of Honda CR80?
Old 04-29-2011, 03:24 PM   #8394
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by juda5 View Post
On the right side of the carb. is a vent tube. In stock trim it runs up to the top of the airbox. When you fall it fills up with gas & takes a while to clear out.

The fix is to put a T fitting into the line so that gas can drain out the bottom of the vent (or, more simply, take the vent tube off.)
Great thanks - that kinda makes sense. Would make more sense if they didn't build them that way in the first place! But at least sounds like an easy fix.

Trevor
Old 04-29-2011, 03:58 PM   #8395
mgdavis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
If you re-read my post you'll notice that I have no battery. Looking at the service manual I think that it was hacked to run off just a capacitor (round guy with terminals on one end, looks kind of like bigger D battery). Also, my lights DIM and become steady when I rev.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdavis [click to show pic]

Some regulator/rectifiers have an internal battery charging circuit. It charges until it reaches a certain voltage then shuts off. I know some cars do this brighter/dimmer occilation at idle. The DR will not put out 12v at idle. This is why your lights are brighter while your reving your engine. If it didn't do it before then maybe you have a 'not quite' 100% battery. As long as your voltage checks out at 12v @4000-5000rpm your reg/rec is good. [click to hide pic]
Old 04-29-2011, 04:31 PM   #8396
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,694
Quote:
If you re-read my post you'll notice that I have no battery. Looking at the service manual I think that it was hacked to run off just a capacitor (round guy with terminals on one end, looks kind of like bigger D battery). Also, my lights DIM and become steady when I rev.
I don't have a battery or a capacitor so my headlight dims a little at idle, but I thought one point of having either a battery or a capacitor was to maintain a constant 12v. Electrical stuff is not my forte, hopefully someone who knows will chime in.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:41 PM   #8397
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,772
Quote:

I'm also running a cap instead of a battery. I'd replace that cap first, it's the cheapest thing that could be causing the problem.
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:45 PM   #8398
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3uba296 View Post
Need to rebuild my rear shock,(-97 dirt model) what sizes are the seals? Heard roumers that you could use a kit meant for some year of Honda CR80?
I also need to rebuild my rear shock. Anyone know a supplier of seals?
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:18 PM   #8399
jessepitt
Ride More

Oddometer: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alli View Post
Hi guys, need a little help here.
Rebuilding my '90 DR350s and as you can see from the pics my cams and rockers need some work.
My question is who do you all recommend? want to keep everything as close to stock as possible(a little more lift wouldn't hurt though).
Have heard of "webcams" and "megacyclecams"
Any opinions,thoughts welcome
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3uba296 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo83 View Post
I also need to rebuild my rear shock. Anyone know a supplier of seals?
I would call Jesse (Kienetech).
I don't know for a fact that he carries these products but I bet he would know who does.
jessepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:57 PM   #8400
Lasherman
Ah Sh!t!

Oddometer: 199
Hesitation at 5800 rpm???

My DR350 with stock carb was running great. Parked for a month, then went on ride today. When I pass 5800rpm in I get a complete stutter/shutdown/hesitate. If I am hard on the throttel in 1-4 I can blow through and power up to 7500rpm.

What will cause this? Vacume leak or dirty carb?
Lasherman is offline   Reply With Quote