Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2008, 06:24 PM   #841
greendogpictures
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
So sorry to hear about your beautiful friend Mulekick....... It sucks to lose a close companion but it really sucks to lose one in the manner you did.
I hope you find joy and comfort in the memories you made together.

Best Wishes,

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulekick
Border Collie~

Really rare markings....1% or so have the blue merle gene..

I have never seen a prettier/smarter dog.

He was my soul brother for sure...To bad he had the same curiousity level and full blown steam that I have.....sucks to be an adrenaline junkie sometimes....His fate was the rear tire of a dually 30 feet from me.I turned my back to get his frisbee for a nanno second....Bamm..

fuckin' broke my heart.....

"If ya ain't living on the edge, ya taking up space." B. Coats

"It's not about having what ya want, it's about wanting what you have." Cheryl Crow
greendogpictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 06:25 AM   #842
gonnagetdirty
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
New 350 owner. Any help out there?

I just recently purchased a 1999 DR350 that is completely stock. Any help on mods that have been useful to those who have these bikes and some things that I should do to make it road worthy but more trail oriented. Specific items with links to those items would be much appreciated.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:02 AM   #843
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,470
Here's the best place to start: kientech.com. Jesse and his wife will not steer you wrong. I have a '99 (SE) as well. Feel free to ask any/lots of questions. Some one here will know the answer.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 08:50 AM   #844
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,175
I'd say just ride the bike and change things that bother you.

I found the throttle response with the stock carb was not very good and swapped for a pumper.

I also didn't like the steel tank, either its range or its feel between my legs and swapped for an acerbis 4.25 gal plastic tank.

Then i did basic stuff like bars and such. I find its quite a capable bike on and off road.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 10:01 AM   #845
johnnyandjebus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
gonagetdirty
Do you have the dirt or street version?
Either way I would start with the basics
- change the fork oil 10$
- change the brake fluid 10$
- grease the swing arm 10$ ??(assuming you need to buy a cheap grease gun)
- take a look at your chain and sprockets, replace if needed. If you do the chain you should do the sprockets at the same time. Consider ordering a stock 15 tooth and 14 tooth front sprocket and try both. Depending on your riding style(off road trail riding) you may like the 14 tooth. About 60$ for a decent chain and about 10$ per front sprocket and 15-20$ for a rear

Then drive it
For improved performance
- do the airbox and jetting mod. See kientech.com. or ask here for more details
basically you cut the top of the airbox out and change the main jet from 127.5 to 140
When I did mine I needed a 142.5 main jet. 5$ for a new jet or 40$ for a new carb kit
- Do the Jesse style exhaust mod again see kientech.com . Approx 75$ if Jesse does it for you
I did mine(myself) and am happy with the results.
- consider ss brake lines, I did mine last winter and am happy with the improvement, not night and day but an improvement about 75-100$
- I replaced my front fender last winter and am happy with the results, less handlebar shake at speeds over 55 mph. Again see kientech.com for details about 25-30$

If you can afford the $$, look into a pumper carb if you don't have already one, as well as suspension upgrades, I have done neither so I can't comment on them.

An aftermarket tank i.e acerbis 4.25 gal plastic tank is on my wish list, but that will have to wait until next winter(I have spent too much $$ already on my little stead!!)

It seems from what I have read and experienced the airbox/jetting and exhaust mod are a low cost high return investment where performance is concerned. Everything after that get pricey and delivers less performance gain per dollar spent IMHO

Enjoy
johnnyandjebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 06:50 AM   #846
gonnagetdirty
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot
I'd say just ride the bike and change things that bother you.

I found the throttle response with the stock carb was not very good and swapped for a pumper.

I also didn't like the steel tank, either its range or its feel between my legs and swapped for an acerbis 4.25 gal plastic tank.

Then i did basic stuff like bars and such. I find its quite a capable bike on and off road.

I am not looking to do a super mod bike, but am more interested in what kind of bars people have used and simple upgrades like that to make the bike more rider friendly. I would like to use my Garmin 60cs on this bike as well and some help on mounting and wiring that would be good. I am not wealthy but money really is not an issue. I am one to do it right the first time a little expensive rather than to do it cheap over and over!!

I have decided to get the pumper carb and the acerbis tank.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:37 AM   #847
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,175
Sounds good. I'm of a similar mind, I like to do things right the first time, had no interest in making the bike into something it wasn't designed to be, but didn't waste any time sorting out the stuff Mr. Suzuki screwed up:)

I have a zumo on my DR250Se (same as the 350 more or less) and it works a treat. I just used the RAM mount that comes with the Zumo. I haven't wired it in for power yet (just running of batteries) but have the wiring to do it, just need time. I'll probably run a power cord with an SAE fitting from the battery to the front of the bike, then wire the zumo power supply up with an SAE fitting and connect it there. That way I can use the same lead to connect a battery tender or heated vest as required.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:41 AM   #848
Olddirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
First ride

Finally got to have my first little ride on the 94 dr 350 se. I have done some mods so don't know what it was like stock. I ground out the weld in the head pipe, bought the pumper carb from Jesse, and did the air box mod, went up to a 42 tooth on the rear and down to a 14 tooth on the front. (Think I'm going to try the 15 again on the front). And set sag to about 3 3/4 inches.

I like the bike. I had the front forks too hard and had to back off preload, the on the rear I had to favor the heavier setting as it bounced me a few times.

I rode with a friend with a 2003 Xr 400 who sold me my bike. His bike has a stage 1 cam and high compression piston carb work and exhaust. I stayed with right with him, through the woods but I was riding a little closer to the edge than I wanted for a first ride, it wasn't the easy ride I thought we would have. In a drag race on a dirt road the bikes were even in the first 3 gears but when he hit 4th and 5th he opened up about 5 bikes on me and it stayed there.

We didn't really do any of the real tight northen michigan tight trails, so the smaller front sproket wasn't really any benefit I think it just made the rear tire break loose a little easier than I wanted.

I did manage to do a little turn around drop the bike.......Damn It sure feels heavy lifting it up. All in all I like the bike. Better in the woods than I expected for a heavy dualsport bike......Even suprised my friend. He said Id look back and you were still there so I figured you wanted to go faster......

Olddirt screwed with this post 04-28-2008 at 06:46 AM
Olddirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:00 AM   #849
Olddirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
A few Questions

As the ride was a faster than I wanted I really didn't get to know the bike like I wanted. I think I was over reving or maybe going out of the sweet spot of the powerband. For those of you who have or have had a tac, Where is the rpm range you like to run and where would you shift in the woods.....or in a drag race if any of you ever drag race.

I thought after I lightened up the preload on the forks they were pretty okay I'am about 175 lbs but the rear I think I still need to play with. I am thinking about lightning the preload on the rear just a tad as I want to be able to be lazy sometimes and just sit on the seat and not get jarred too bad. I just want to get all my stock stuff dialed in as good as it can be for me

It seemed like I couldn't get the front end up as easy as I thought I could, Im not sure if im just at the wrong rpm range or if its the tire.....its a perelli
dot approved and didn't really seem as bad as I expected

Not being a tall guy (short) 5'8'') I thought the bike pulls me too far forward on the seat. I have the bars back and would almost like something to offset them back further is there something to do that or is it just new bars with a higher rise bars? I don't want to run into cable problems

Any insite is appreciated

Olddirt screwed with this post 04-28-2008 at 07:27 AM
Olddirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:11 AM   #850
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,671
Mine got dirrrrty this weekend!

trackmasters do quite well in the mud FYI

z@ch screwed with this post 04-28-2008 at 07:16 AM
z@ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:13 AM   #851
greendogpictures
Gnarly Adventurer

Cheng Shin C858 tire opinion

Ok boys, I removed my Dunlop D606 rear and installed a Cheng Shin C858 460/18 last week before doing a three day dual sport rally in Junction Texas. A buddy of mine in Dallas did the same on his XR650R. He rode down to my house with some other buddies on Thursday, about 250 miles of pavement, and then we all rode the 70 miles to Junction together. The ride to Junction took us 3 hours as it was a mix of pavement and dirt/gravel and rocky backroads. The Cheng Shin is fairly aggressive for a dual sport tire and performed well on the pavement. Off road it did a very good job of digging in to the dirt and self cleaning. Unfortunately....... It's a tire with a thin wall and takes very little to puncture it. We both experienced flats while running 60 mph down very nice, clean, paved state highways. No nails, thorns or any other foreign objects were found in the tire or tube, just a nice clean hole. My tire held up faily well for the 500 miles I put on it but my buddies tire is basically worn out after 750 miles. I'm not as hard on tires as he is but his 606's, MT21's and others have always held up much better than the Cheng Shin did. Sooooo, would I buy another cheapo Cheng Shin tire ??? Nope.... IMHO I got exactly what I paid for, a cheap tire that just didn't hold up very well. I'll remove mine next month and replace it with a D606 for my May trip down to Copper Canyon.

Just wanted to share my Cheng Shin experience. Some folks really like this tire and have had good luck with it but I'm just not comfortable with the thoughts of finding myself in the very remote areas of Mexico changing flats on a regular basis. Maybe I've just been very lucky on my trips to Mexico as I've never had a 606 go flat on me. The Cheng Shin would cause me many sleepless nights down there I'm sure.

Steve

"It's not about having what ya want, it's about wanting what you have." Cheryl Crow
Old 04-28-2008, 07:14 AM   #852
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

anybody have a spare tool kit lid layin around?

my bike didn't come with one.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:20 PM   #853
greendogpictures
Gnarly Adventurer

Anyone know ?

Had to run regular automotive oil in the DR for about 750 miles over the last two weeks... Couldn't get a motorcycle blend close by, the dealer is a ways away, and really needed an oil & filter change so ran Castrol GTX automotive oil. The gears were sounding pretty clunky when I changed the oil & filter today to a motorcycle blend. My question is this... After changing the oil & filter today the gears are still quite clunky, does anyone know if the new (motorcycle) oil will eventually get the clutch lubricated enough to help the shifting be smooth again ? Before changing the oil it shifted smooth as butter but now the shifts are harder and somewhat loud. Sounds and feels like a BMW. Uggghhhh.......

I've had to use automotive oil in bikes in the past but don't ever remember the shifting being so clunky. I'm hoping the new motorcycle oil will get the old girl back to where she was before I ran 750 miles on Castrol GTX..

Thanks,

Steve

Old 04-30-2008, 06:23 PM   #854
greendogpictures
Gnarly Adventurer

Don't have one that's not being used but you might look at the Aerostitch site or catalog as they sometimes have non OEM tool kits at decent prices. Also keep an eye out on eBay.

If I come across something I'll post it here.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by backroadsv03
anybody have a spare tool kit lid layin around?

my bike didn't come with one.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:16 AM   #855
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

thanks, I actually need just the lid. I've got more than enough tools (ask the girlfriend )

Anybody have any stock hubs or wheels they're looking to unload? I'm thinking of doing a separate set of street wheels.