Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2011, 06:41 PM   #10111
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,131
kobukan, that is one sexy DR. Well done!

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:47 PM   #10112
GAS GUY
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMan5 View Post
Anyone have suggestions between a Clark and Acerbis gas tanks as far as fit / finish / durability etc? I'm looking to get one soon. This gasing up every day when using it to commute to work is driving me nuts. I'm only getting 75 miles before my bike goes on reserve.

Also.. any suggestions as to an aftermarket windscreen for commuting on the freeway?

Thanks!
What ! Only 75 miles,what fuel mileage are you getting ?? I thought the stock tank was a little over 2 gallons.
IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:21 PM   #10113
flyinfuzz
2 Quarts low

Oddometer: 1,574
In the on going trials and troubles w/ my 97 s the battery decided to crack sometime in the last few days sitting in the shop. Puked acid on the swingarm, chain and wheel. I hit everything with baking soda,did a scrub w/simple green and pitched the chain in the parts washer. Recon I need to hit it with anything else ?I am beginning to think my bikes are cursed.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:47 AM   #10114
rubberband
Will ride for tacos

Oddometer: 361
Skid plates?

Does anyone have experience with the TCI skid plate and engine gaurd combo? Or does the Procycle skid plate provide adequate coverage for a crash/tip over in the rocks? If anyone has better photos of either of these installed I'd be greatful. I did search, but my google-fu is weak today.....?
Old 11-08-2011, 06:10 AM   #10115
Greg Bender
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberband View Post
Does anyone have experience with the TCI skid plate and engine gaurd combo? Or does the Procycle skid plate provide adequate coverage for a crash/tip over in the rocks? If anyone has better photos of either of these installed I'd be greatful. I did search, but my google-fu is weak today.....?
The TCI skid plate looks great to me. It has additional protection for the case sides AND it bolts up with tabs just like the original. This last point is critical, IMHO. The other skid plate (AFAIK, made by Ricochet and sold by many) uses "P" shaped clamps that are extremely time consuming and frustrating to install. The first thing I did after purchasing a Ricochet plate (and failing to be able to adequately install the stupid "P" clamps after 30 minutes) was to have a local welder add tabs like the original. That took him about an hour and cost me $75 (my welder is very good, but he doesn't work for a case of beer). So, I've got ~$150 in my Ricochet skid plate...and I can now easily remove and install it each time I change oil.

If you can't tell, I'm more than a bit frustrated that the Ricochet skid plate comes with "universal" clamps as opposed to model specific mounts.

I ride my DR350 in the rocks all the time and I've dropped it more than once. I've never had any trouble with the Ricochet skid plate, but I'd guess the TCI offers better protection.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:42 AM   #10116
LuvMan5
Team Blue

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by imjinscout View Post
What ! Only 75 miles,what fuel mileage are you getting ?? I thought the stock tank was a little over 2 gallons.
When I fuel it up after going on reserve, it only takes 1.5 gallons to fill up. So about 50 MPG.
LuvMan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:45 AM   #10117
LuvMan5
Team Blue

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobukan View Post
Some people prefer the Acerbis, others like the Clark. It's just a matter of personal preference really They're probably both great tanks. I like the fact that the Clark looks a lot like the stock tank, doesn't seem much bigger, but at 4.2 gallons gives me 200-mile range.

I use a Slip Stream S06 Spitfire windshield on both the DR350 & the DR650 and it works well for me. Once you have the brackets mounted on the bars the windshield goes on or off in about a minute.

Thanks Kobukan! Wow.. That is nice looking! I'm gonna have to do some shopping now..
LuvMan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:13 AM   #10118
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Bender View Post
The TCI skid plate looks great to me. It has additional protection for the case sides AND it bolts up with tabs just like the original. This last point is critical, IMHO. The other skid plate (AFAIK, made by Ricochet and sold by many) uses "P" shaped clamps that are extremely time consuming and frustrating to install. The first thing I did after purchasing a Ricochet plate (and failing to be able to adequately install the stupid "P" clamps after 30 minutes) was to have a local welder add tabs like the original. That took him about an hour and cost me $75 (my welder is very good, but he doesn't work for a case of beer). So, I've got ~$150 in my Ricochet skid plate...and I can now easily remove and install it each time I change oil.

If you can't tell, I'm more than a bit frustrated that the Ricochet skid plate comes with "universal" clamps as opposed to model specific mounts.

I ride my DR350 in the rocks all the time and I've dropped it more than once. I've never had any trouble with the Ricochet skid plate, but I'd guess the TCI offers better protection.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Gregory Bender
I too have the ricochet skid, though I bought mine as a moose racing version. I too had a local welder mount some tabs for me. I paid my guy $30 and I thought that was a lot, since he DOES ususualy work for beers. The problem I had with the "P" or "J" clamps is the hex heads that point towards the ground. I hit mine on rocks and I cound not get a hex in there to remove the plate. I basiclly had to grind the head off.

You know I never had any real problems with the stock skid with dropping the bike. The DR is set up so well to be dropped. In fact I must havd dropped my bike 20-30 times in the 3 years I have had it. Other than a bent lever and turn signal, there is no signs of damage. What the stock skid does lack is case protection on the bottom. If you trundle the undercarraige over rocks you might crack the case. But you as a rider should be able to tell if you do this enough or not o justifie a mroe protective skid. In fact if you hit a rock large enough you will either bounch the bike off the skid and miss the case, or go slow enough that it doesn't really matter. Another thing an after market skid protects is the oil line from flung gravel. My skid has a stripe down the center that is dimpled from all of the rocks flung up. The stock skid doesn't protect well as it has a bunch of holes and is very minimal.

The TCI skid looks cool and cost a lot. I do not think that the added side case protection is really worth it. The way the lays down it jsut doens't hit the case. Ad the Richoect skid has wide wings that protect the case from a frontal assualt.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:19 AM   #10119
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Pic from the other weekend of my bike in "touring" mode.
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2011, 10:20 AM   #10120
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Here is one of my buddy and his rig.
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2011, 10:22 AM   #10121
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

He did not belive it was possible to pinch flat with 30psi. However hit anything fast enough...
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2011, 10:23 AM   #10122
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

snake bite
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2011, 04:11 PM   #10123
5*DR350
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
My first bike ever

This is my 93 S. I got it for $900 with 2100 mile

I need to find a knob for the trip meter
5*DR350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:57 PM   #10124
shearboy2004
KIWIINUSA

Oddometer: 4,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5*DR350 View Post
This is my 93 S. I got it for $900 with 2100 mile

I need to find a knob for the trip meter

Great bike Mate , you will have a lot of fun with that.
07 Sherco 450 called BLING.
07 Sherco 510 called Holy Shit .
shearboy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:15 PM   #10125
5*DR350
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
I'm already loving it. Have not rode more than a half hour yet. Increasing the time slowly, as I don't wanna find something wrong with it to far from home. Soon I wanna make a trip upstate 1-1/2 hours away. Taking it easy as I am a new rider also. Trying to find some one more experienced to ride with, no one I know rides.
5*DR350 is offline   Reply With Quote