User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2011, 10:13 AM   #10216
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,837
Non-O ring chain.

I rencently installed a new X-ring chain with master link. My old chain was a whole link streached out and floppy as hell. I assumes all the O rings had worn out and disentegrated over time. Took her for a test drive and noticed how much power a stiff new chain ate up. Now after about 500 miles on it it seems like things are back to normal, or at least I am use to the lack of power.

My DR brother is planning on getting a non-O-ring chain next. In fact he says he is planning on getting 2. The price of 2 chains will be about the same as one O-ring chain. Then is plans to swap them out often, having one sit in a bath of kerosen (or similar).

Sounds like a bit more maintance, but not a bad idea. He thinks he will get alot less power rob out of the deal. Sounds like a decent idea. What do you guys think?
MrPulldown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:01 AM   #10217
Rode2Nowhere
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,198
Linky

Not a DR, but still real-world research on an O-ring chain vs. Non O-ring chain. Very scientific.

Be sure to click the "Sprocket and Chain Wear" link when you get to the bottom. Thats where he compares the two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
Non-O ring chain.

I rencently installed a new X-ring chain with master link. My old chain was a whole link streached out and floppy as hell. I assumes all the O rings had worn out and disentegrated over time. Took her for a test drive and noticed how much power a stiff new chain ate up. Now after about 500 miles on it it seems like things are back to normal, or at least I am use to the lack of power.

My DR brother is planning on getting a non-O-ring chain next. In fact he says he is planning on getting 2. The price of 2 chains will be about the same as one O-ring chain. Then is plans to swap them out often, having one sit in a bath of kerosen (or similar).

Sounds like a bit more maintance, but not a bad idea. He thinks he will get alot less power rob out of the deal. Sounds like a decent idea. What do you guys think?
IBA #45896
Adirondack Tags
Rode2Nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:02 AM   #10218
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,144
Quote:
Non-O ring chain.

I've also noticed that the friction of the o-rings does make the chain "stiff". I suppose enough use will loosen things up somewhat, but I doubt it would ever because a loose as a non-oring chain (o-rings must be squeezed at least a little bit in order to be useful as a seal).

As far as I know, no o-ring chain seals the rollers themselves...only the "links". It also isn't like o-ring chains are maintenance free. I doubt I would go to the trouble of keeping a chain soaking in kerosene. I'd be much more likely to use one up and replace it with a new one when the time came.

An actual dyno test both ways would be quite useful :>

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:06 AM   #10219
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,243
There is a slight difference and this is why folks racing 125s never use sealed chains (well this + the weight diff). Imo the extra work and limited life of non-o ring chains make them a silly idea for anything but a dedicated race bike with limited power. When I was racing a 125 in the woods I still used an o-ring chain as the difference was slight in terms of drag and huge in terms of upkeep. When I raced a 125 in outdoor MX I used a non-o ring chain because there power mattered more and maintenance was less of an issue (15 min motos don't wear a bike out that quickly). A good X-ring chain has rather little drag, especially once warm. Try spinning your rear wheel right after a ride, it moves quite nicely. They'll be a little stiff when cold and just starting out, but loosen right up as the seals and grease gets warm.

I have noted a difference in stiffness between O-ring and X-ring chains with X-ring chains moving more easily.

I find it rather odd to put a high maintenance race chain on the heavy, slow, old, otherwise low-maintenance DR.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:10 AM   #10220
Rode2Nowhere
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot View Post
Imo the extra work and limited life of non-o ring chains make them a silly idea for anything but a dedicated race bike with limited power.
MHO as well.
IBA #45896
Adirondack Tags
Rode2Nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:23 AM   #10221
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rode2Nowhere View Post
MHO as well.
Agreed.
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:35 AM   #10222
Falcon86
I just work here.

Oddometer: 1,630
'99 dr350

Hey guys, I came across a pretty decent deal on a '99 DR350.

It's in great cosmetic shape, I'd just need to replace the rear sprocket and the clutch. Sprocket doesn't worry me, but can anyone chime in with info on replacing the clutch? Is it a complete PITA?

Thanks!
Falcon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:48 AM   #10223
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,837
Quote:
...on the heavy, slow, old, otherwise low-maintenance DR.
Oh you didn't jsut say that about our beloved iron steed
MrPulldown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:04 PM   #10224
brianjonesphoto
Single Track Noob

Oddometer: 1,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon86 View Post
Hey guys, I came across a pretty decent deal on a '99 DR350.

It's in great cosmetic shape, I'd just need to replace the rear sprocket and the clutch. Sprocket doesn't worry me, but can anyone chime in with info on replacing the clutch? Is it a complete PITA?

Thanks!
Both are pretty easy if you have turned wrenches before. You might get lucky and only need new clutch springs. My 99 had a slipping clutch when I got it and all the plates were in spec but the springs at set and weren't quite strong enough anymore. Just get a clutch cover gasket before you even start.

www.PhotoSupportNW.com

brianjonesphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:03 PM   #10225
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,893
+1 on the O ring chains vs non O rings.

I finally got my new to me 95 DR350se running correctly, the Carb was dirty and running very rich and it was a float issue, seems the poor language translation in the shop manual was throwing me off and the previous person at the dealership who supposedly serviced this carb didn't have a clue.

One thing I can't find in the 200+ page shop manual is the correct way to check the engine oil level, do you test it with the dip stick sitting "on" the filler port or screwed all the way into the filler cap?

I'm far more familiar with Hondas and you check them with the dip stick sitting on the filler port, not screwed all the way in.

While I am at it I need a Original Right Side Mirror, the one that is on the bike has been changed and just looks odd with the left side being original.

Thanks
Old 11-17-2011, 03:10 PM   #10226
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas335 View Post
. . . One thing I can't find in the 200+ page shop manual is the correct way to check the engine oil level, do you test it with the dip stick sitting "on" the filler port or screwed all the way into the filler cap?
Run bike until engine is warmed up. Shut the bike off, wait a minute, insert dip stick - do not screw dip stick in to check oil level.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:16 PM   #10227
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,893
Thanks, the manual was clear on everything except the dip stick position.

I am also looking for a good Mud Guard that attaches to the back side of the air box.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:08 PM   #10228
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,340
Quote:
There is a slight difference and this is why folks racing 125s never use sealed chains (well this + the weight diff). Imo the extra work and limited life of non-o ring chains make them a silly idea for anything but a dedicated race bike with limited power. When I was racing a 125 in the woods I still used an o-ring chain as the difference was slight in terms of drag and huge in terms of upkeep. When I raced a 125 in outdoor MX I used a non-o ring chain because there power mattered more and maintenance was less of an issue (15 min motos don't wear a bike out that quickly). A good X-ring chain has rather little drag, especially once warm. Try spinning your rear wheel right after a ride, it moves quite nicely. They'll be a little stiff when cold and just starting out, but loosen right up as the seals and grease gets warm.

I have noted a difference in stiffness between O-ring and X-ring chains with X-ring chains moving more easily.

I find it rather odd to put a high maintenance race chain on the heavy, slow, old, otherwise low-maintenance DR.
BP, I see you post up on a wide varity of topics here on ADV. You sure seem to know something about everything. I always read what you have to say, even if the topic doesn't intrest me.

Thanks for taking the time to share your experences...

OK, I'm done kissing your ass....
Old 11-17-2011, 04:44 PM   #10229
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 3,110
Quote:
Non-O ring chain.

Go to dirt tricks website and read their awsome article on chain wear and o ring vs. non.
Basicly, there is no power loss on an o ring chain and a non o ring chain won't save you any money unless you only ride on the street in clean conditions,and they explain exactly why.
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:26 PM   #10230
Mission1
Twisted and confused

Oddometer: 89
DR 350 thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthe View Post
BP, I see you post up on a wide varity of topics here on ADV. You sure seem to know something about everything. I always read what you have to say, even if the topic doesn't intrest me.

Thanks for taking the time to share your experences...

OK, I'm done kissing your ass....
Hey Garth what are you doing here? Do you even own a dr these days. . ?