ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-27-2012, 05:54 PM   #12916
Airvent
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Airvent's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Oxford, Connecticut
Oddometer: 347
A few shots from some light motocross the other day.










Airvent screwed with this post 08-27-2012 at 10:19 PM
Airvent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:29 AM   #12917
Spad
Adventurer
 
Spad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Vermont
Oddometer: 97
Regarding the fair offer, if you want a data point from the other coast I paid $1575 for the 1999 I bought a week ago. It looks like the one pictured, with a few more aftermarket parts on it and a lot of extras (including the helmet mentioned, boots that fit, the list in my earlier post, etc. etc.). It has just under 7000 miles. The PO and I agreed on $1200 for the bike and $375 for the rest, since I need to pay tax on the sale price of the bike and don't want to pay that for the extra gear, but I'd probably have paid $1500 (the asking price) for the bike alone. Mine does have a couple issues - a slow oil leak from the sump drain bolt (new crush washer will hopefully fix that) and somewhere else based on the amount of oil down under, and a sticky clutch. The PO replaced the clutch and I hope the new pieces just need clearance. I think I'll be going into it to make sure, and to check on the Bolt that Loosens in there.

$1500 seems like a really good price for a 99 in good condition based on trolling CL here for quite a while before finding this one. I had agreed to pay $1200 for a '98 w/o turn signals, tail light or title and w/ a lot of off-road use before the owner had the decency to sell it out from under me. Based on what I got instead, he did me a favor.

- Spad
__________________
___________
06 Wee Strom
82 CM450E
99 DR350SE
Spad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:58 AM   #12918
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: DFW TX
Oddometer: 1,566
1998 DR350sew $$$$

I paid $2300 for a '98 DR350se recently with 940 miles on it. Probably paid too much but this one was almost new and looked like it had the factory air in the tires. 100% showroom. I drove 5 + hours to look at a '99 the seller had that was less money but when I got there it had a bent frame that he neglected to mention. Wheels didn't line up. So he also had this '98 that he hadn't put up for sale on CL. Shot me a price and I took it. At my age, I'm not going to pass on something I want because of a few bucks. Might not find one like that again. BTW I pulled the clutch and checked the shift bolt. This one was tight and it was interesting that it had thread locker on it. I don't think It had been in to but no way to know for sure.

2bold2getold screwed with this post 08-28-2012 at 11:15 AM
2bold2getold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:02 AM   #12919
Ghostyman
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Ghostyman's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: LA face with the Oakland booty
Oddometer: 198
Question Long time lurker, first time poster

First, the intro: I just started riding and picked up the dual sport bug pretty quick. I've only been riding for a few months and don't have my license yet but have put about 7k on my DRs including a trip to Death Valley. I'm a poor boy but I do all my own work and fix all the mistakes I make by doing my own work.

How can I mix and match the three bikes I've got to get the best light dual sport?

I've got a '90 DR350S with a pumper carb, a '95 DR350SE with a stock CV carb, and a '97 RM125.

I'm thinking my end goal should be the '95 DR with the RM125 forks and added kick starter. I'll move over my desert tank from the '90. At this point, I'm planning on keeping the stock CV carb and uncut airbox in the interest of fuel economy.

Any input or advice how you'd do it?
Ghostyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:47 AM   #12920
kobukan
almost gnarly
 
kobukan's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Saco ME
Oddometer: 1,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bold2getold View Post
I payed $2300 for a '98 DR350se recently with 940 miles on it. Probably paid too much . . .
I don't really think so . . . I'd call that a good find. They're not making them any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostyman View Post
First, the intro: I just started riding and picked up the dual sport bug pretty quick. I've only been riding for a few months and don't have my license yet but have put about 7k on my DRs including a trip to Death Valley. I'm a poor boy but I do all my own work and fix all the mistakes I make by doing my own work.

How can I mix and match the three bikes I've got to get the best light dual sport?

I've got a '90 DR350S with a pumper carb, a '95 DR350SE with a stock CV carb, and a '97 RM125.

I'm thinking my end goal should be the '95 DR with the RM125 forks and added kick starter. I'll move over my desert tank from the '90. At this point, I'm planning on keeping the stock CV carb and uncut airbox in the interest of fuel economy.

Any input or advice how you'd do it?
Welcome aboard. Keep the '95, put the desert tank on like you said, and put the pumper carb on it - you'll still get 50+ mpg. As far as the forks, personally I wouldn't bother unless you're parting out the RM anyway and you're looking for something to do. The DR is a trail tractor, will go anywhere, and will keep going and going, but it's not really a high performance machine. Good luck with whatever you decide, and have fun!
__________________
'04 R1150GS, '97 R1100GS, '99 DR350, '02 DR650, '03 DR650
A Few Days Solo to Copper Canyon
A Maine Rider’s Arizona Day Trips
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:35 AM   #12921
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer
 
MrPulldown's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Truckee
Oddometer: 2,923
A few hundred bucks really does not matter. Local areas have their varing range on prices. If you look on ebay you can see a national price/demand of these bikes, and it is higher than the prices mentioned. I live in an area with higher demand for dual sports. I was happy to paid $1800 for my DR. It was really clean with 9k on the clock. Since then I have spent maybe $3K in motorcycle related stuff. Between gear, tires, chains, plugs.... It addes up quick. SO no need to sweat a couple of bucks on the begining end I think. Knowing what I know now. I would not have a problem paying $2300 for a late modle SE. Which really only has the cartridge fork upgrade.
MrPulldown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:49 AM   #12922
Ghostyman
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Ghostyman's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: LA face with the Oakland booty
Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobukan View Post
Welcome aboard. Keep the '95, put the desert tank on like you said, and put the pumper carb on it - you'll still get 50+ mpg. As far as the forks, personally I wouldn't bother unless you're parting out the RM anyway and you're looking for something to do. The DR is a trail tractor, will go anywhere, and will keep going and going, but it's not really a high performance machine. Good luck with whatever you decide, and have fun!
Thanks. I'll probably forget about the forks for now. I'm not at a level yet where the bike is holding me back. Saves me from having to try to sell a RM125 with DR350 forks.

Does the '95 have upgraded suspension over the '90? The main reason I'm using the '95 is the magic button. The '90 is in better shape overall and has 10k less miles.




My contribution on the running cost part of the thread: my '90 cost $1600 in great shape and with some tasteful upgrades. My '95 was $800 and runs but has a bunch of stuff that "should" be fixed and about 30k miles. In the SF bay area, it seems like they cost more than the rest of the country. I would expect to pay around $2k for a late model DR350 in fine fettle.
Ghostyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:29 AM   #12923
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: DFW TX
Oddometer: 1,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
A few hundred bucks really does not matter. Local areas have their varing range on prices. If you look on ebay you can see a national price/demand of these bikes, and it is higher than the prices mentioned. I live in an area with higher demand for dual sports. I was happy to paid $1800 for my DR. It was really clean with 9k on the clock. Since then I have spent maybe $3K in motorcycle related stuff. Between gear, tires, chains, plugs.... It addes up quick. SO no need to sweat a couple of bucks on the begining end I think. Knowing what I know now. I would not have a problem paying $2300 for a late modle SE. Which really only has the cartridge fork upgrade.
No buyers remorse here. I'm really happy with the bike.

2bold2getold screwed with this post 08-28-2012 at 03:46 PM
2bold2getold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:40 AM   #12924
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer
 
MrPulldown's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Truckee
Oddometer: 2,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostyman View Post
Does the '95 have upgraded suspension over the '90?
Degraded. The forks are the same. The 90 has an 11 inch travle shock, the 95 has a 10 inch travel shock. Neither has rebound adjustment (assuming both are street models).

http://www.maximum-suzuki.com/forums...?topic=85682.0
MrPulldown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:39 PM   #12925
Ghostyman
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Ghostyman's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: LA face with the Oakland booty
Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
Degraded. The forks are the same. The 90 has an 11 inch travle shock, the 95 has a 10 inch travel shock. Neither has rebound adjustment (assuming both are street models).

http://www.maximum-suzuki.com/forums...?topic=85682.0
Awesome, thanks for the link. Your thread there answered all my rear shock questions.
Ghostyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:11 PM   #12926
dankatz
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Boston, MA
Oddometer: 321
WTB shortened sidestand/kickstand

Installed Kouba link #1 (i think the one that lowers 1.5") and softened the suspension. Do not want to cut the kickstand because I am not sure how long my wife will ride it this low. Anyone have a shortened kick stand that they would be willing to part with for a reasonable $$? Anyone aware of other models fitting this bike that are a little shorter? Any information would be appreciated. PM would be fine for contact. Thanks!
dankatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:08 PM   #12927
tntmo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: San Diego, CA
Oddometer: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
Installed Kouba link #1 (i think the one that lowers 1.5") and softened the suspension. Do not want to cut the kickstand because I am not sure how long my wife will ride it this low. Anyone have a shortened kick stand that they would be willing to part with for a reasonable $$? Anyone aware of other models fitting this bike that are a little shorter? Any information would be appreciated. PM would be fine for contact. Thanks!
Are you a member on Maximum Suzuki? There is a member there looking for a full length kickstand and he has a shortened one. It's in the DR/DRZ Buy/Sell/Trade section.
__________________
Buncha dirt bikes with license plates.
tntmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:11 PM   #12928
dankatz
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Boston, MA
Oddometer: 321
Not a member of Maximum Suzuki

I am not a member. I tried to sign up earlier, but it said that I can't with a gmail account. I decided it was too painful, so never did sign up
dankatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:48 AM   #12929
tntmo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: San Diego, CA
Oddometer: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
I am not a member. I tried to sign up earlier, but it said that I can't with a gmail account. I decided it was too painful, so never did sign up
I willl send the guy a link to this thread, maybe he will trade you?
__________________
Buncha dirt bikes with license plates.
tntmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:40 AM   #12930
MattR302
Awesomeness, Inc.
 
MattR302's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: New Haven-ish, CT
Oddometer: 75
Stash box

Anyone ever used one of these? I usually try to remember the registration and insurance card in a zip-lock bag in my packet when I go riding, but one of these seems convenient. http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/5476/630/
__________________
-MATT
2007 Yamaha FZ6 - Street
1999 Honda CBR600F4 - Track
1998 Suzuki DR350SE - Miscellaneous
MattR302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014