[IMG][/IMG]
Midwestrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:49 AM   #13112
flanmaximondo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
oil temperture

Thanks a lot guys!

On day two of my new shiny oil temperature gauge... I felt more comfortable with it... It was a slightly cooler day and no big city traffic to deal with. So it sat between 75 - 110deg. The only time it rose to 110 was on a long stretch of road construction. 40km of dusty dirt road! Gotta love it!

BTW - i have had tons of trouble with my bike - hence why i wanted to monitor my oil more closely.
Within a week of leaving my home in Brisbane, i blew up the engine, then one year later 20,000km my bike broke again in Quetta, Pakistan (trying to fix my bike with bombs going off around the city is pretty interesting) Then in Tanzania my crankshaft bearing broke - it took 2 months of waiting in Nairobi, Kenya to get the parts sent over.... here is a link to my 730km towing marathon - it makes a good read!

http://motomonkeyadventures.com/aust...wing-marathon/

My bike and I have gone through some terriable times but I sit love it!
How I make my money on the road -
createdbydanielle.com
flanmaximondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:25 PM   #13113
mustangwagz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotmamaandme View Post
Ok so if you take those Acerbis frame/boot guards off and sell them to me; that will help you get that bike fixed up.

Shit, you beat me to it! lol They are hard to find!!

My attempt to roundup Local Riders..
https://www.facebook.com/dualsportridingwesternpa
mustangwagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:15 PM   #13114
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanmaximondo View Post
Thanks a lot guys!

On day two of my new shiny oil temperature gauge... I felt more comfortable with it... It was a slightly cooler day and no big city traffic to deal with. So it sat between 75 - 110deg. The only time it rose to 110 was on a long stretch of road construction. 40km of dusty dirt road! Gotta love it!

BTW - i have had tons of trouble with my bike - hence why i wanted to monitor my oil more closely.
Within a week of leaving my home in Brisbane, i blew up the engine, then one year later 20,000km my bike broke again in Quetta, Pakistan (trying to fix my bike with bombs going off around the city is pretty interesting) Then in Tanzania my crankshaft bearing broke - it took 2 months of waiting in Nairobi, Kenya to get the parts sent over.... here is a link to my 730km towing marathon - it makes a good read!

http://motomonkeyadventures.com/aust...wing-marathon/

My bike and I have gone through some terriable times but I sit love it!
I read through some of your blog ... Wow!

Considering what you've been doing with your DR, I think it has survived pretty well. Shame you could not have tracked down a good used crankshaft. It would have saved you a lot of money. Probably careful monitoring of oil level and regular changes are critical to the long term health of the engine. An oil cooler would be nice but they are as rare as rocking horse s**t and many, many people get away with abusing their DRs without them. If you could locate one, it is a bolt-on addition to the outside of the engine (but also another potential failure point.)
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:29 PM   #13115
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post

Considering what you've been doing with your DR, I think it has survived pretty well. Shame you could not have tracked down a good used crankshaft. It would have saved you a lot of money. Probably careful monitoring of oil level and regular changes are critical to the long term health of the engine. An oil cooler would be nice but they are as rare as rocking horse s**t and many, many people get away with abusing their DRs without them. If you could locate one, it is a bolt-on addition to the outside of the engine (but also another potential failure point.)
I was lucky enough to purchase one of these rocking horse shits a year ago. I let my fellow DR bro run it on his machine as he sees higher temps and longer high RPM slab rides. However it is not very difficult to fit one to you machine. Basicly take a small oil cooler off any bike, mount on the DR Cut one of the oil hose and run the oil cooler in line. Don't get all fancy with AN fittings. Just barbed fitting with oil hoses and hose clamps.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:18 PM   #13116
mustangwagz
Gnarly Adventurer

Put on mah Tire and took a maiden voyage with the fresh, aggresive 606! big difference in the dirt! Ground was wet all night and early when i left this morning, everywhere i opened it up it ate like crazy! (Even with the CV carb) Down the road, it goes well too. No vibration like the k270 gave me. The new pads and rotor we're ALOT more responsive and much quieter even after getting them muddy and dirty! I will also say that the bike looks much better when its partly covered in mud. However, i on the other hand, am still one ugly lookin Mother Lovin S.O.B no matter how much mud ya splatter on me. lol

End results of my New Tire, Brakes, and Rotor, I'm happy and the DR is happy too! ill get pics eventually! Thanks guys!

Old 09-23-2012, 07:20 AM   #13117
mustangwagz
Gnarly Adventurer

Christmas is coming...

Title says it all guys...and my main question is, santa was asking what i wanted for xmas...and i was thinking MAYBE its time to put a pumper on the DR. If i did this, i'd cut me a gaping hole in the air box (3x3?) and then maybe get a modified exhaust and pumper kit from Jessie. my question is...will i see THAT much of a difference? ive heard ppl boasting about it, but i was curious if it really was all that much better?

Old 09-23-2012, 08:34 AM   #13118
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangwagz View Post
Title says it all guys...and my main question is, santa was asking what i wanted for xmas...and i was thinking MAYBE its time to put a pumper on the DR. If i did this, i'd cut me a gaping hole in the air box (3x3?) and then maybe get a modified exhaust and pumper kit from Jessie. my question is...will i see THAT much of a difference? ive heard ppl boasting about it, but i was curious if it really was all that much better?
If I was spending all of my time riding at my local area and never going to different altitudes and didn't care about MPGs then the pumper might make sense. I only have experence with one pumper and that was on an '08 KLX450. It was a real bugger to get right. Has a leak jet for volume and stroke distance and timing adjustments. I suspect the one on the DR is not so hard. But the CV carb on my '98 DR350se is great. Runs good around here (640ft), and I couldn't tell any difference at all at 6K to 11Kft. Didn't even have to touch the idle adjustments. Even power seemed to be the same, which I don't really understand. Last year my '06 KLR was a little flat , at the same place, untill I went down on the main jet a little. In the past, the carbs on the 2 strokes and 4 strokes didn't have accelerator pumps or CV diaphrams, and they worked real good. Still had to change jets for altitude, but performance was good. Rejetting is a pain. Done it a lot, and understand it pretty good. Still a pain. It was a pleasant supprise to not have to change jets at altitude on the last trip. For that reason alone, I'm keeping this one.

2bold2getold screwed with this post 09-24-2012 at 05:19 PM
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:32 PM   #13119
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post

Possible oil cooler options.

http://www.chicagoconnection.us/inde...Path=3_789_790

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=652313
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:59 PM   #13120
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bold2getold View Post

The cooler in adv vendors looks great. Thanks for that post just might install a cooler this winter.

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:04 PM   #13121
mustangwagz
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotmamaandme View Post
The cooler in adv vendors looks great. Thanks for that post just might install a cooler this winter.
yah, X2 on that note, now someone needs to fab up a mounting bracket for it so it'll bolt right onto our DR's. lol By sounds of things, that gentleman who has poured his sweat and teers into it got busted up a bit. Hope the gentleman gets healed up quick! I hate seeing and hearing about fellow bike riders gettin boo-boos, it sucks! I to got banged up on my last Dualsport (rip xt350.. ) but i'm alive and back at it! so yah, keep us up to speed on your build hotmomandme!

Old 09-26-2012, 05:12 AM   #13122
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,090
A better headlight

While I do not like to ride my dirt model DR350 at night, it seems that several times a year I find myself caught out late and suffering the inadequacies of my poorly aimed headlight. With days getting shorting this time of year, I know I'll be wanting to leave early in the morning while it is still dark, too.

The primary reason my headlight is poorly aimed is because I have a number plate bag fitted. This bag is important to me and I'd like to keep it if at all possible (or else figure out some other way to carry the items inside it). However, the rubber mounts for the number plate/headlight are easily moved by the fitment of the bag and the result is a poorly aimed headlight.

I'm really not looking to tax my stock electrical A/C output by putting on a better headlight that will sizzle insects before they ever impact the headlight glass, but I would like to be able to keep it aimed where it does me some good.

Any suggestions?

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:57 AM   #13123
shearboy2004
KIWIINUSA

Oddometer: 4,332
Greg I have been all over the place with lights and have settled on these , lowest draw for the most grunt .On the road you would have to point them down a bit or risk frying drivers eyes or get their dimmer setup which I have just installed .

I have some 30's on one bike and some 40's on another , the 40's are significantly brighter but the 30's are about 300 times better than stock .I have 60's on another bike and watch the forest burn in front of me !!

link http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/hst...StoreFront.bok

link http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=607184
07 Sherco 450 called BLING.
07 Sherco 510 called Holy Shit .
shearboy2004 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:10 AM   #13124
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by shearboy2004 View Post
Greg I have been all over the place with lights and have settled on these , lowest draw for the most grunt .On the road you would have to point them down a bit or risk frying drivers eyes or get their dimmer setup which I have just installed .

I have some 30's on one bike and some 40's on another , the 40's are significantly brighter but the 30's are about 300 times better than stock .I have 60's on another bike and watch the forest burn in front of me !!

link http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/hst...StoreFront.bok

link http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=607184
Very interesting! So, forget trying to get the number plate from moving all around and just install an LED light. Are you running these with the original A/C dirt model stator?

Also, is one enough or are two really needed?

Regards,

Gregory Bender

Greg Bender screwed with this post 09-26-2012 at 06:21 AM
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:29 AM   #13125
shearboy2004
KIWIINUSA

Oddometer: 4,332
Greg the 30 floods only draw 24 watts , your headlight as it is now probably draws 50watts so you could run 2 or just go for one of the more powerful ones .
Change your tail light to LED and you could run heated grips Mate !

He has a pretty neat setable dimmer that I am using on a couple of bikes and it works really well and the good thing is you can be a bit inventive and mount the lights anywhere .
07 Sherco 450 called BLING.
07 Sherco 510 called Holy Shit .
shearboy2004 is online now   Reply With Quote