Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2012, 11:17 AM   #13546
ctjohnson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctjohnson View Post
Update: Removed the ignition coil to check resistance and everything is in spec. Primary(terminal-ground) is .8 and Secondary (terminal-plug cap) is at 16.5K. Luckily he did not buy the ignition coil yet.

Now I am guessing magneto......in the shop manual the first step for testing is to disconnect the pickup coil and power source lead coil wires of the magneto. Where would those be located? I assume I need to remove the left side cover where the magneto is but the diagram in the shop manual is kind of not clear. Please excuse the noob questions, I have only replaced a stator one other time (yamaha yz)

Another update:
Well now I am even more confused. Figured out how to check the magneto with the wires coming into the CDI. Everything is in spec, but still getting very intermittent spark. So far I have ruled out spark plug, resister boot, ignition coil, and magneto as the problems. That only leaves the CDI as the source of the problem......called up Jesse and he thinks the CDI being the problem is very unlikely. He thinks it must be in the wiring somewhere

We did replace the handle bars last week and he thought it might have something to do with the stop switch, but it ran fine after the handlebar replacement. Am i missing anything? Any advice appreciated.
ctjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:35 PM   #13547
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,235
Quote:
Another update:
Well now I am even more confused. Figured out how to check the magneto with the wires coming into the CDI. Everything is in spec, but still getting very intermittent spark. So far I have ruled out spark plug, resister boot, ignition coil, and magneto as the problems. That only leaves the CDI as the source of the problem......called up Jesse and he thinks the CDI being the problem is very unlikely. He thinks it must be in the wiring somewhere

We did replace the handle bars last week and he thought it might have something to do with the stop switch, but it ran fine after the handlebar replacement. Am i missing anything? Any advice appreciated.
This kinda thing has come up several times in the 900+ pages on this thread. It's almost always one of the safety switches (side stand, clutch, neutral interlock, or relay) or kill/ignition switch. You might by pass/remove them and try again.
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:40 PM   #13548
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alli View Post
Thanks for clearing that up motolab, checked out the two sites and clearly different.

Can't find any specs on the output of the stators from either company.

Anybody know?

I would like a bit more power if possible, but it seems like these are just OEM replacement parts.
Another option.....http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=763724

More info.....http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=10716

2bold2getold screwed with this post 11-09-2012 at 12:53 PM
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #13549
markk900
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crenshaw View Post
Does this look right? Plug is slightly dark, looks ok really, but has white-ish deposits stuck on the surface. Lean?

I'll admit this plug was ran before top end was rebuilt and it was burning oil. For some reason i never replaced it. No oil consumption now but I'm worried its running lean.
Looks like my plug after a long high speed street run....Jesse @ Keintech said should be OK (diagnosing over email) but said I could pop the needle up 1/2 notch if I was worried.

markk900 screwed with this post 11-09-2012 at 04:17 PM
markk900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:29 PM   #13550
ctjohnson
Adventurer

Well after another night working on my buddies bike I officially have no clue. We swapped parts from my running dr350 (CDI, coil, sidestand relay, etc.) All of the dead bikes parts worked on my bike, but none of the parts off my running bike helped at all. Also defeated the kill switch by connecting the orange and yellow wires. Clutch safety also bypassed.
Still getting like 1 spark and then nothing. I've tried everything from the manual and on the wiring diagram. The whole story is on the last couple pages on this thread, any ideas very much appreciated.

ctjohnson screwed with this post 11-09-2012 at 11:46 PM
Old 11-10-2012, 12:58 AM   #13551
ctjohnson
Adventurer

Well at 1 AM took another look at the wiring diagram and decided black and yellow at the kill switch was the kill wire and then I saw a wire I hadn't seenon the diagram, the yellow and black from the key switch. Disconnected it and now the bike has run perfect and has fat spark! Feelin' good right about now
Old 11-10-2012, 04:35 AM   #13552
markk900
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Well at 1 AM took another look at the wiring diagram and decided black and yellow at the kill switch was the kill wire and then I saw a wire I hadn't seenon the diagram, the yellow and black from the key switch. Disconnected it and now the bike has run perfect and has fat spark! Feelin' good right about now
markk900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:02 AM   #13553
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Oddometer: 4,627
I love happy endings!
XR400 Index
Stretch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:14 AM   #13554
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,794
A somewhat oddball question - can you tell if an engine was in a dirt or street model bike?

Why do I ask this? Well, it's actually about a DR250 bottom end that I'm looking at. The DR250S trans made in 90/91/92 has a different 3-6 gearset, with higher ratios, an overall wider range trans. The DR250, DR350 and DR350S all had the standard setup in those years, as did the DR250S after that.

Engine number (all I've got) is J419-100265. This link: http://www.suzukicycles.org/_misc/identification.shtml tells me that "J" is 200-249cc, and "4" is 4 stroke single. "1" is "first version", maybe, but no detail on the 9, much less the rest of the number.

Any ideas or information?

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:32 AM   #13555
Timan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
DR 350 spring mount

Just bought a '94 DR 350 yesterday and need you riders help. The upper mount for the sidestand spring in broken off. Looking at it, I'm thinking of having a bolt welded on to attach the spring. Do you guys know of a better method? Also, do I need to disconnect all the electrical connectors before having any welding done?
Timan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:40 AM   #13556
jungleplant
Motorcyle Stuff

Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timan View Post
Just bought a '94 DR 350 yesterday and need you riders help. The upper mount for the sidestand spring in broken off. Looking at it, I'm thinking of having a bolt welded on to attach the spring. Do you guys know of a better method? Also, do I need to disconnect all the electrical connectors before having any welding done?
being that you will have to paint it i would just take it off then weld it back on
Old 11-11-2012, 08:00 AM   #13557
Timan
Gnarly Adventurer

I don't have the bike in front of me; but when I took a quick look I thought the top spring mount was a tab welded to the frame.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:15 AM   #13558
jungleplant
Motorcyle Stuff

Quote:
I don't have the bike in front of me; but when I took a quick look I thought the top spring mount was a tab welded to the frame.
OOPS read it wrong , na just grind a place for the ground clamp close to the area then weld
Old 11-11-2012, 08:17 AM   #13559
Timan
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks, I needed a little confirmation.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:35 AM   #13560
jungleplant
Motorcyle Stuff

Quote: